Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at replacing my wife's 2008 EX-L with a 2013 EX-L. Found a low mileage, one owner well taken care of vehicle. Just want to make sure there were no serious problems with this model year.

From what I can tell the problems didn't really start until the 2015 model.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 CRV AWD (my wife's baby)
297 Posts
Got a 2014 ex-l and no problems with it - other then minor vibrations at idle (which is its norm).

For my wife's vehicle, I did give it a 20 mm spacer lift - which lifted it 30 mms (or 1" higher). This corrected its settled / tired suspension and removed its previous rear wheel lean - which is another norm for its year.

Due to poor factory lighting, had to install H4 LEDs, H11 LEDs and apply simple wire upgrade (to enable fog lights with high beams). For details, surf: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/24-do-yourself-mods/198119-fog-light-mod-simple-version.html

In all, I'd buy a 2014 again....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I know I sound biased as a '13 owner, but I think they are one of the better model years out there. Since replacing the tires on ours it is such a pleasure to drive it probably would have more miles on it if it'd been this nice at the start. The OEM tires didn't do the car justice IMO.
If the color is one you'd like, it has the papers to show maintenance or a dealer can show you the history on it and it checks out, I'd say buy it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I sound biased as a '13 owner, but I think they are one of the better model years out there. Since replacing the tires on ours it is such a pleasure to drive it probably would have more miles on it if it'd been this nice at the start. The OEM tires didn't do the car justice IMO.
If the color is one you'd like, it has the papers to show maintenance or a dealer can show you the history on it and it checks out, I'd say buy it.

Yes, the carfax shows all the maintenance since it was all performed at the same dealer the vehicle was purchased from. My main concern is the vibration. A 2014 owner in this thread reports a vibration at idle. Since the 14 is the same vehicle as the 13 it could be a problem. I was under the impression that the vibrations didn't appear to the 2015 model year.

That was one of the reasons we didn't replace our 2008 in 2015, the vibration. Now I don't want to purchase a new one because of the 1.5T oil dilution problem but we need to get my wife out of the 2008.

·
Registered
2014 CRV AWD (my wife's baby)
297 Posts

Some 2014s have engine vibrations at idle while in "D" gear and others don't. Role the dice on this one. Yes. My wife's 2014 has engine vibration at idle but it isn't a major thing. At times, I don't even notice it. As stated above, I'd buy again - even with minor engine vibration. I'd avoid the Turbo engine as well. IMO - Too busy of piping and too much to go wrong. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Other than running over something and blowing out the right from tire I haven't had any issues with my 2014 EX.
Currently have about 38,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
I am probably biased as the owner of a 2016 but overall for day-to-day reliable transportation I don't know that you can go wrong with the 2013-2016 years. At this juncture due to depreciation they represent some serious bang for your transportation dollar.

·
Super Moderator
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,287 Posts
My 2013 that I bought new has 67k miles on it and has been flawless. My wife drives it and she keeps warping the rotors but other than that I've replaced tires once and only do fluid changes. No major repairs other than rotors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I own a 2014 with roughly 100k. It’s had a couple of dealer resolved issues but nothing major.
1- battery kept dying prematurely. Dealer fixed with a TSB. ( common complaint for this gen) Battery died three times in a year and a half, from 24k to 40k miles.
2- had a shudder when accelerating in 2nd gear. Dealer flushed trans fluid and updated the computer. But It only went away after replacing the front driveshaft.
3- AIC idler pulley went bad at 50k miles. Replaced under pre owned warranty.
4- developed a vibration at highway speeds which front driveshaft fixed as well.

Otherwise has been a solid car and is running better at 100k than it ever has.

·
Moderate
2,519 Posts
My wife drives it and she keeps warping the rotors but other than that I've replaced tires once and only do fluid changes. No major repairs other than rotors.
I did warp the discs in one heavy braking on the Autobahn at 100+ mph and the parking sensors are a bit dodgy but other than that it's great.

Oh yeah, and the Bluetooth lag since new.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make sure it has good heater output, and even on both sides. Apparently there was some 'baked in' calcium/lime issues (block cleaning is one thought) and over time the stray material plates out on the coolest surface (the drivers side of the HVAC heater core). There is a TSB (14-063) on this and a procedure involving the use of CLR to bust the buildup. In worst case it could need a heater core replacement. This apparently impacted 2012 thru 2014 builds.

Because of the direction of flow, the drivers side tends to clog first. Honda will ONLY address this if there is a noticeable (at least 10' F) differential between sides. That's what they use as an indicator that a selective clog is occurring.

However, I'll tell you that total heat and warm-up time of the cabin is rather slow on my kids car. Thermostat seems to be fine, so I'm leaning towards a developing system clog even if the temp differential isn't evident.

·
Super Moderator
3,287 Posts
My 2013 CRV has 302ks and running very nicely. Was a Company car and had good hot running all its life. Only had servicing so far.
302km or miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,287 Posts
At 78k miles and running perfectly. I definitely recommend 2012-2014 MY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.