Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hopefully you got the Owners Manual with your CR-V. If not, you can download a copy at owners.honda.com.
Page 274 of my 2014 Owners Manual has information for the Maintenance Minder codes.
The codes come up as A or B and one or more numbers. A 6 is replace rear differential fluid.

There is an asterisk next to the 6, but it's just telling you that not all CR-Vs have a rear differential.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ded indeed get an owners manual. i see what you are talking about. I just remember when i had my 2004 element. It liked when it had the diff changed more often than the manual. it had a tendency to make some noise.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
So I pulled up the Owners Manual for a 2006 CR-V, which did not have a Maintenance Minder.
It has two Maintenance Schedules one for "normal" driving conditions, and one for "severe" conditions. It also define what "normal" and "severe" mean. My experience is that that the severe schedule is closer to the way most people use their CR-Vs. The severe schedule says this about the rear differential fluid:

Replace rear differential fluid -- Every 60,000miles (96,000 km) or every 4 years, whichever comes first

The normal schedule has:

Replace rear differential fluid -- Every 90,000miles (144,000 km) or every 5 years, whichever comes first

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
As far as noise, there's an easy test to see if your rear diff is making noise.
Find an empty parking lot.
Roll down the drivers window and stick your head out.
Drive in a tight circle to the left, and then a tight circle to the right, but not with the steering wheel locked all the way to the right or left.
Listen for a groaning or moaning sound from underneath your CR-V.
If you hear the sound change the rear diff fluid.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have to admit I've always liked the looks of the Element, and wished I had had the opportunity to own one. :)

Would have to have been Sunset Orange Pearl or Citrus Fire Metallic color, though. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts