Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post here, been lurking for a bit. Got a 2013 CRV about 8 months ago. Finally did my first oil change on it, everything went great, but about a month later I saw two small drips of oil underneath. Did some investigating and the oil filter had oil that had ran down the sides. Talked with a few people and we all came to the conclusion I may have overtightened the filter OR left the old gaskets on. It's not my first rodeo, but I figured, eh maybe... Got a new filter and put it on (the old one was awfully tight even though I only tightened by hand). Here we are two weeks later and it seems to still have a small leak after wiping with a paper towel (no drops on floor however). Does anyone have some further suggestions of things to check? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Most filter instructions do not use the phrase "hand tight" any more since it's not an accurate unit of measure. They usually say something like tighten one turn after the gasket makes contact with the mounting base. For me and the position I am in under the car, I can't turn it one full turn and need a filter wrench. I also use a little silicone grease on the gasket and find it works much better than motor oil when taking the filter off. Also if the gasket is not lubricated when installing, it can bunch up and not seat properly.
That said, if the filter is installed correctly, correct filter size and the mounting base is clean then it won't leak unless the crimp on the filter can is at fault.
It is possible that the oil is coming from some where else other then the filter

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honda uses O-rings to prevent the sealing washer from accidentally being left on, so that can be ruled out. You should only tighten 3/4 of a turn after the filter begins contact with the engine surface. Did you pre-oil the filter gasket? If you may have over-tightened, you can carefully loosen and re-tighten without much oil loss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the reply. I broke it loose again this afternoon, re-tightened about 1/2 turn after it made contact. I do always wet the new filter gasket with oil before screwing on. Got a calendar reminder set to remind in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thank you both for the reply. I broke it loose again this afternoon, re-tightened about 1/2 turn after it made contact. I do always wet the new filter gasket with oil before screwing on. Got a calendar reminder set to remind in 3 weeks.
1/2 turn seems a little loose, what does the instructions on the filter say? 3/4 to 1 is what I usually see on the box.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Could it be residual oil from the change just working its way out? Like it was oil that spilled during the change and it just now working its way down?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts