Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started to have a grinding (metal on metal) sound coming from front drivetrain somewhere. Hard to diagnose, but sounded like worn out brake pads grinding on rotors, but from the middle on the vehicle. Replaced front brake rotors, calipers and pads....no change. Changed both hubs...no change. Changed passenger side drive axle, both pieces....there is a half-shaft that goes from transmission to center bearing and another shaft that goes from center bearing to hub. Both were changed....no difference in noise. Still grinding from middle. Now seems to be pointing to a possible inner-transmission failure. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Any techs out there ever changed out one of these AWD transmissions? Any specific equipment needed to change out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Update- Changed drivers side axle this morning...still grinding. I'm running out of options besides replacing the transmission. Trying to avoid this, as you can imagine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Started to have a grinding (metal on metal) sound coming from front drivetrain somewhere. Hard to diagnose, but sounded like worn out brake pads grinding on rotors, but from the middle on the vehicle. Replaced front brake rotors, calipers and pads....no change. Changed both hubs...no change. Changed passenger side drive axle, both pieces....there is a half-shaft that goes from transmission to center bearing and another shaft that goes from center bearing to hub. Both were changed....no difference in noise. Visit AutoGuysLand to review check engine light on but no codes if you concern. Still grinding from middle. Now seems to be pointing to a possible inner-transmission failure. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? Any techs out there ever changed out one of these AWD transmissions? Any specific equipment needed to change out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It ispossible failing constant-velocity joint on a front-wheel-drive car or could be failing alternator to bearings going dead. Just take a look at this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would be using a mechanic's stethoscope to narrow down the exact location of the noise you're hearing. Sometimes low frequency noises like this can transmit through the body of the car and trick your ear about where the true source is. Of course you'll need it to be on a lift with another person in the car allowing the wheels to turn while you listen to various areas under the car with the stethoscope. You could be dealing with a bad wheel bearing too, depending on how and when this sound is presenting itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be using a mechanic's stethoscope to narrow down the exact location of the noise you're hearing. Sometimes low frequency noises like this can transmit through the body of the car and trick your ear about where the true source is. Of course you'll need it to be on a lift with another person in the car allowing the wheels to turn while you listen to various areas under the car with the stethoscope. You could be dealing with a bad wheel bearing too, depending on how and when this sound is presenting itself.
Thanks for the advice. I found one at Harbor Freight for $5. The passenger wheel bearing, only 3 weeks old, was making the horrible noise! I couldn't believe it! I bought the actual Honda bearing. I did both side 3 weeks ago. I didn't figure it would have been the new bearing that failed. I just replaced the bearing again...noise is gone. Thanks for your help and advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts