Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were looking to purchase a 2013 EX-L but decided not to due to the vibration at idle when in drive, which is a bummer because we really liked the car. Is there any remedy to the issue or would it have been something we would have had to live with?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
If you have only looked at one car, continue your search. Gen4s with conventional transmissions (through 2014) have not had issues with idle vibration.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
My wife and I were looking to purchase a 2013 EX-L but decided not to due to the vibration at idle when in drive, which is a bummer because we really liked the car. Is there any remedy to the issue or would it have been something we would have had to live with?
that is usually the right front motor mount in front by the belt pretty cheap fix,but I have seen that be a torque converter problem also ,converter not to common but I had a 2005 that happened but if you brake torque it it should go up to 2100-2300 RPM is a way to test the stators stall speed if its bad it will stay low like 1000 rpm ,the motor mount the most common vibration is cheap and easy to change,its normal for these engines to vibrate so when they transfer that to the frame ,that mount collapses and the engine drops a 1/2" and lays on the frame, it seems like a major problem when you hear and feel that but usually that wont be just at idle/ in gear, one way to test that motor mount is put a jack with a hockey puck or block of wood on it and put it on the oil pan and lift the engine a little and if the vibration is gone its that mount for sure,was it so bad you could feel it in the steering wheel?or throttle body cleaning and relearn if the idle is below 700rpm ,heres some pics of the fun i had the blue one is the bad one re manufactured 10k miles and the left one is an OE honda replacement
20181120_140529.jpg
20181120_140309.jpg

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
Mine has some vibration too, but nothing excessive. However, I notice it a lot more after getting out of my wife's Pilot. I'm at 71,000 trouble free miles and will be doing an tune up next May before I transfer. Maybe a valve lash with smooth things out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just noticed my 2012 with 43k started doing that i was thinking it was the transmission fluid being a little low but an engine mount makes more sense... i hope its not the torque converter, my warranty just expired.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 2013 w/76k miles has this issue. I have the extended warranty. Is this a DIY or should I take it in for the repair? Sounds like aen engine mount would be tough to change at home.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My wife's 2014 had vibration at idle as well. re: In "D" and sitting at stop light. One gets used to it and after a while, don't even notice it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
that is usually the right front motor mount in front by the belt pretty cheap fix,but I have seen that be a torque converter problem also ,converter not to common but I had a 2005 that happened but if you brake torque it it should go up to 2100-2300 RPM is a way to test the stators stall speed if its bad it will stay low like 1000 rpm ,the motor mount the most common vibration is cheap and easy to change,its normal for these engines to vibrate so when they transfer that to the frame ,that mount collapses and the engine drops a 1/2" and lays on the frame, it seems like a major problem when you hear and feel that but usually that wont be just at idle/ in gear, one way to test that motor mount is put a jack with a hockey puck or block of wood on it and put it on the oil pan and lift the engine a little and if the vibration is gone its that mount for sure,was it so bad you could feel it in the steering wheel?or throttle body cleaning and relearn if the idle is below 700rpm ,heres some pics of the fun i had the blue one is the bad one re manufactured 10k miles and the left one is an OE honda replacement View attachment 134731 View attachment 134732

Thanks for posting this! Just picked up a '13 EX-L AWD that has the vibration issue and also the juddering when shifting. Dealership did both TSB's related to the transmission (including the torque converter replacement) and I'm still having the problem. Gonna take look at the mounts tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So if the mounts are fine but the problem persists, what else could it be? Still under warranty, but after the converter replacement the tech wrote in the service report that the judder was gone. It's not.

1st gear has no issues ever. 2nd and 3rd at part throttle the vibration is noticeable, almost feels like a wobble. Lifting off the throttle causes the car to lurch, and returning to part throttle makes it lurch again. My first honda and I love it otherwise. I'd hate to trade it in at this point.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Look up TSB 17-040. I took my car in as it was due for a tranny flush based on mileage and I reported the 20-30 mph judder to the dealer. The did the flush and applied the software update and it went away. They said if it comes back, they will replace the torque converter.

As an FYI, I also complained about a vibration when in Drive at idle. They recommended an induction service. I did what they recommended and I have to say that it's noticeably better. It hasn't completely gone away, and it is there when the AC compressor comes on but it's not bad at all; much better than it was. For a car with 80k+ miles, I can't complain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts