Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new owner of a 2014 CR-V and was surprised to find out that on my second oil change the dealer wants to charge me 195 plus taxes to clean and inspect the breaks. The service told me that this should be done once a year or every second oil change. Is this neccessary?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Congrats on the new V. I don't know if it's different in Canada, but I've had a couple of oil changes already and they do inspect them as part of a checklist they go through but have never charged me for that. I don't think they cleaned them as that was never on any of my invoices.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, they are telling me this service goes back to 2008, if it is not done then breaks could sieze up. Got a few months to get to the bottom of it. Tried to call Honda Canada, was on hold for 20 mins, gave up for today. Gotta be some owners from Canada who can fill me in. Tks.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Try calling some other dealerships to see if that's the case for them as well. Personally it sounds like they are trying to get you for some cash. My place inspects them for free and I'm sure if they noticed something they could make money on they would tell me, which I then would double check anyway with my mechanic friend.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sounds like a money maker for them. Stick to the manual's recommended schedule.

·
Registered
553 Posts
To the OP, simply clean your own brakes and lubricate caliper slider pins once a year. Many how-to videos exist on youtube and it's easy to do if you start early when all bolts come off without rust... even then, not a big deal

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Rob I got the same story fromy Honda Service dept,I told them that I must have made a mistake by buying a Honda CRV,if they have to disassemble the brakes and clean them at 20000 km it must be a cheep product that will not last long or stand up to normal driving ,
I told them that I have driven Volvo's BMW's and never had to worry about brakes having to be serviced at this low km use and should get rid of it,and go back to a reliable car.
They said I don't have to do it,but its still a good idea.
What a Crock of S&%t

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,123 Posts
I got lazy one year and didn't do this preventative maintenance on our 2006. (Lube sliders, check for free brake pads)

So, I got to do it in February. :mad: BRRR

The funny thing is, we didn't need to do this on our 1999 Acura TL. (Same type of rear discs) Don't know if the higher ride height of the V has anything to do with it...could be a change in caliper material. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so far from what I can see is that in Canada they want to service our breaks every 12000 to 15000 MILES that cost 150 to 200 bucks. My question is does anyone know if there is a difference between Honda breaks in Canada and the US?? Can I easily find out where my car was made?

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
Spoke to two dealers, mine and another, both says it has to be done. I'll get to the bottom of it.
The parts are identical.

If you open up your owners manual to the section on maintenace minder you will see what a "B" service code it.

From http://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-services/maintenance-calculator

Factory Recommended Maintenance
  • Replace engine oil* and filter.
  • Service front and rear brakes.
  • Check parking brake adjustments.
  • Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.
  • Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
  • Inspect suspension components.
  • Inspect driveshaft boots.
  • Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA).
  • Check all fluid levels and condition of fluids.
  • Inspect exhaust system.
  • Inspect fuel lines and connections.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Could it be that in Canada they have breaks, but in other country brakes?? :)

I get a brake service once a year. Every year. Learned my lesson long ago. But never paid as much as you stated.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In the USA they look at the pads during tire rotation. When you start to take components completely apart just for the sake of inspection there are unintended consequences.

The Allies learned that in WWII. They were over servicing some of their airplanes which led to increased failures. They simply extended flight hours between automatic overhauls and reduced mechanical failures.

In the USA I never hear of anybody having an incident because their brakes failed. It's normally from not enough following distance to complete lack of driving skills, not to mention DUI.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Don't waste your money. It won't affect your warranty as it's a wearable part that is not guaranteed. Even if you had it done by the dealership and your brakes wore out prematurely, your still on your own to pay for it.

I'd like to agree with most posters here, but I've rarely had brake services done on any of my Honda's in the past 17 years, and I'm in the harsh conditions in Canada.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi .I have a 2013 Crv with 23,000 kms and on my second oil change the dealer wanted to do the same thing . Because of the salt that is spread on our roads the pins can seize up and ruin your brakes.I have it done every two years and it has been so with all my CRV S in the past. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's a dear price for that service for sure. I service my own brakes every spring. I do it when i rotate the tires and it is a very simple process. The fronts seem to handle the road salt much better than the rears. Last spring my rear brakes certainly needed a good cleaning and lube.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As dernp said, the concern is for road salt to bind up the slider pins. My 2007 CRV needed those lubed around 75K when I felt the rear brakes sticking. I was living in NH at the time. I did make an effort to regularly use car washes to rinse of road salt (including an undercarriage wash).

Besides being in the official CA list, Honda also suggests it in northern states that use lots of road salt in the winter (I saw a TSB about that in the past but can't locate it right now).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.