Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2014 CR-V has been a bit sluggish to start recently, turning over very slowly when I first turn the key in the morning.
I'll be traveling to visit family later today, and my CR-V will be parked at the airport for two weeks. :Darn:

So I went online last night and scheduled a service appointment for 7:30 am, the time the local Honda dealer's service opens.
I got there before they opened, and was first in line.

I told the service writer I was there for a new battery, and he asked me why I thought I needed a new battery.
I told him it was the original battery, and explained the slow starter in the morning.
He said they could test the battery, and I said no, it's the original battery, just replace it. :wrenchin:

He said okay, and told me where to wait. They have a nice waiting room with lots of car magazines, a TV, vending machines, and free coffee. :coffeecup
30 minutes later and a bit poorer I was on my way with my new battery. :D

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
But...you didn't have them put in a BIGGER battery!!! :confused2:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
bigger battery is far from necessity if you have a good quality battery

Though blows my mind WHY ANYONE would go to the dealer for a new battery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Though blows my mind WHY ANYONE would go to the dealer for a new battery.
@racoon must like the coffee!!!!!! Either that, or there was a magazine article he hadn't finished reading. :eek:

Did the dealer suggest any other maintenance? :beb:

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some research on the correct battery physical size and ratings, and then shopped a couple of the local auto parts places that sell and install batteries. All of them tried to up-sell me to their most expensive batteries (can you say Optima?) that were double or even triple the cost of the battery I got from the Honda dealer. And one place said we don't have that size in stock right now, but can have it here next week.

So I went to the local Honda dealer, had some decent coffee, and was quickly on my way.

And other than wanting to test my old battery before replacing it they didn't try to sell me any other services. This time. ;)

Sometimes the decision about where to have your vehicle serviced is about cost, and sometimes it's about convenience.
In this case it was both.
:)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I think it was good of your dealer to offer to test the battery first. Many owners jump to conclusions.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Look up an Interstate Battery warehouse near you, then call to see if they have an "Econo Power" battery in the size you want. https://www.interstatebatteries.com/

These batteries are rebuilt, but each one is tested. The warranty isn't too long but in my experience, they last as long as new ones. AND, the price is about half that of new. ($45 USD for the one I bought for the wife's minivan last month.)

I've been buying these for more than 10 years. :Mexican wave:

·
Registered
39 Posts
With all due respect, replacing a battery is a pretty easy task and the CR-V battery is small enough to be relatively lightweight. I buy mine at Sam's or Costco when I need one.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With all due respect, replacing a battery is a pretty easy task and the CR-V battery is small enough to be relatively lightweight. I buy mine at Sam's or Costco when I need one.
Thanks for your response, but I live in an apartment and have no place to do any work on my CR-V.
And yes, there's a parking lot, but doing work on your vehicle could result in the apartment complex evicting me, or not renewing my lease.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Doesn't Honda have a 8+ year limited warranty on their batteries? First 3 years is 100%, then the percentage drops off after that. I don't know what the cost for a Honda battery is, but the warranty is something to consider when deciding.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked the online warranty documentation at:

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/warranty?year=2014&model=CR-V

From that, it appears the original battery is warrantied for 3 years/36 months.
The replacement battery is fully warrantied for 3 years/36 months, and then on a sliding scale up to 100 months (8 years, 4 months).

Time Period
Replacement batteries are covered
for a 100-month (8 years and 4
months) limited warranty.

Warranty Coverage
During the first 36 months (3 years)
of service, a defective replacement
battery will be replaced at no cost
for the battery, labor, or installation.
For the remaining 64 months (5 years
and 4 months), you will receive a
credit toward the purchase of the
battery. This credit is based on the
then-current retail price:
• Months 37 to 45: 60%
• Months 46 to 55: 50%
• Months 56 to 65: 40%
• Months 66 to 75: 30%
• Months 76 to 85: 20%
• Months 86 to 95: 10%
• Months 96 to100: 5%