Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and need the best advice I can get. I am starting a new job with the postal service next month and I had to get an AWD SUV for the rural route I'll be driving. I just purchased a 2014 CR-V EX AWD and I love it! I live in Morgantown, WV, so we get a lot of snow and ice in the winter and the roads are horrible! I need the best advice on how to train myself to drive from the right hand side the best way possible so I can be productive. I have family in the postal service, but they never had the courage to be a rural carrier, so I don't know what to expect. Please help! Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
Congrats on the new job and CR-V. Not sure I completely understand the question about training to drive on the right side, I assume this is a LH drive model correct?

Since it is Rural could you just run the route in reverse rotation and stay on the wrong side of the road?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! Yes, it is a left hand drive model. I haven't been through my route yet to see if that would be possible, but I'm afraid if I cause a wreck, it could be bad. And I don't want to do that.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,809 Posts
I've seen rural carriers driving from the right with LHD vehicles.

If your '14 has a console (or anything blocking your operation of the pedals) I don't know how you could do it. :rolleyes:

I found this vid on YouTube. Don't know if it would answer all your questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen rural carriers driving from the right with LHD vehicles.

If your '14 has a console (or anything blocking your operation of the pedals) I don't know how you could do it. :rolleyes:

I found this vid on YouTube. Don't know if it would answer all your questions.
You’re right, there are a lot of them thatdrive from the right hand sight, but I’m not very tall. I’m going to have to figure out the best way to drive and not risk my life or anyone else’s life. I also want to feel comfortable because I’ll be doing it for 9+ hours a day.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Since it is Rural could you just run the route in reverse rotation and stay on the wrong side of the road?
Simple answer. No, not in any safe way.
Most rural roads are very narrow, with no shoulders. So driving on the wrong side of the road would endanger all of the other people who use the road, including schools buses.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
Supplies of RHD vehicles in the US are thin. Jeep used to sell RHD wranglers. Subaru does or did to.
i'm well aware of many imported gray market Land Rovers as well but they are all 24 years old and you need persistent reliability.
trying to do your job in a LHD car will be impossible.

I very familiar with driving RHD cars. You get used to it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
What does the postal service recommend/suggest, besides AWD SUV? Could you visit with the previous carrier for tips/tricks/suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts