Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the CRV for about a month. I've had a 2007 CRV, and a 2009 CRV. I've notice a few things that should be improved:

1. HEADRESTS are unbearable. They push my head forward and down. I'm constantly trying to force it back with my head and end up with a stiff neck.
The dealer's suggestion was to turn it around, however; I called Honda customer service and they said not to, that that would interfere with the safety of
the headrest. Seriously, I've driven so many cars because I travel, and most have sort of a spring loaded forward back adjustment. These only go up
and down. Terrible design!
2. The cargo area is not completely flat when the rear seats fold down. This defeats the purpose of having the large cargo area.

3. It needs a cargo net. I think the old ones had a round button on each side that you looped the cargo net loop onto, and it held multiple grocery bags.
I'm not a fan of that big flat net that spans the floor of the cargo area...sort of useless.

4. I got the top of the line CRV, and I expected it to have a button inside to open/close the cargo door. You have to get out of the car to open the
cargo door - the only way to open it is the handle. Even a button on the remote would be nice!

5. MILEAGE - I expected less than the 22/30 on the sticker, but I'm only getting 18-19 city, and 24 on a long highway trip. Plus I'm becoming obsessed
with the gauge that shows instant mileage, I'm concentrating on keeping it over 30mpg as much as possible to hopefully get better mileage. If this is
best I can get, they have grossly overstated the MPG .

·
Registered
460 Posts
1. I don't have problems with the head rest though there have been a few who have complained about it leaning to much forward. I guess the solution was to take the head rest out and bend the metal track back a little so it isn't leaning too far forward....

After watching the iihs video for seat testing, it looks like the dummy when sat.. the head isn't suppose to be touching the headrest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkeFAZf7J9E If you head is touching the headrest try tilting the seat forward a little or tilt it a bit back? If you can bend it a little it should help alleviate problems.

2. I do notice the seats don't go completely flat, but when I was loading boxes it didn't really cause to much of a problem, though you do have to get pass that small bump it still was able to carry plenty of heavy boxes.. the CRV roof height is pretty good so I could stack 2 large boxes on top of each other. One thing that does annoy me though, is I have passengers who like to sleep or nap in the CRV when taking long trips, so I have 3 small square pillows when they need to rest... I find if you pull the lever and any obstacle that is in the way ex.. the pillows the seat or on the floor it doesn't fold flat and sorta looks like it gets jammed.

3. Yes I was disappointed in the CRV cargo net also. I looked online and saw it was just a huge net used to tie things down like a truck. I much prefer the other cargo net one where you can put bags and stuff in. The bag kind of cargo net. Also that would help if things slide to the door it won't fall.

4. It really never bother me to use the door manually, what does bother me is there is no key hole to unlock the door. Granted the door handle has a motor in it to actually open the door. It would suck if you have a dead battery... I think they reserve that option (power liftgate) for the Acura RDX.

5. You can see other peoples fuelly profiles on the forums, but for the most part I drive pretty sporty with average speeds of 70-75 MPH on the highway and with mixed driving I get 27 - 28 MPG in the spring/summer and 25-26 in the winter time.

Advice for fuel economy... don't baby the throttle to get up to speed, once at speed or +5 MPH above the speed limit back off the throttle slowly until you feel like you can maintain some momentum without losing to much speed. Do not constantly accelerate fast only to be on the brakes, keep the CRV moving even if it means slow speed moving in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Really don't consider any of these to be problems, maybe small annoyances to some.
I am thrilled with our CRVS mpg and I live in hilly terrain.
I don't understand why you want a button inside to open the tail gate when you un lock the doors it unlocks the tail gate so ever who is out can open it.
The head rests don't cause me any issues, they're designed like this to reduce whiplash only thing I find is the seat bottom is a bit to small for my big posterior lol
The hump in the trunk is not really a problem a lot of vehicles with folding seats have one.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I have my seat tilted back a little, so no headrest problem. I don't believe it is supposed to touch your head when driving. (not positive)
I bought a Honda cloth basket with dividers for the cargo area. No more problems holding shopping bags. It would have been nice to have flat folding read seats, but I'm okay with the way it is.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Advice for fuel economy... don't baby the throttle to get up to speed, once at speed or +5 MPH above the speed limit back off the throttle slowly until you feel like you can maintain some momentum without losing to much speed. Do not constantly accelerate fast only to be on the brakes, keep the CRV moving even if it means slow speed moving in stop and go traffic.
Question: Based on your info above Gafarian, shoiuld I not be using ECO mode all time as I do presently? When I use ECO mode the car obvisouly accelarates much more slowly than it does when out of ECO mode.

I'm not a lead footed driver and never have been, I try to pull out slowly and start slowing down before I have to so I'm not always hard on the brakes, basically using your method of always trying to keep the car moving. I do feel like my MPG is better overall when I stay in ECO mode all the time, about 1/2-1mpg overall better average. But if you think I can do better I will run it out of ECO mode and just have to get more use to modulating the throttle better.

The car really does feel like it gains 50HP when out of ECO mode versus being in ECO mode. It feels more like my Mom's old 05' special edition when out of ECO mode (IE much better bottom end and respnsiveness). I don't mind how it runs in ECO mode though because I'm not in a hurry to get when I'm going typically, I like to take my time and drive safely.

Also - on the highway I find I cannot use ECO mode. The responsiveness of the cruise control is horrible in ECO mode, it will let my set speed drop as much as 5+ MPH before it gives it more throttle so I end up having people always crawling up my back end before it decides to apply throttle and return to my set speed. Out of ECO mode is much better, it pretty much maintains speed or mabye +/- 1 or two mph, no big deal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've had the CRV for about a month. I've had a 2007 CRV, and a 2009 CRV. I've notice a few things that should be improved:

1. HEADRESTS are unbearable. They push my head forward and down. I'm constantly trying to force it back with my head and end up with a stiff neck.
The dealer's suggestion was to turn it around, however; I called Honda customer service and they said not to, that that would interfere with the safety of
the headrest. Seriously, I've driven so many cars because I travel, and most have sort of a spring loaded forward back adjustment. These only go up
and down. Terrible design!
2. The cargo area is not completely flat when the rear seats fold down. This defeats the purpose of having the large cargo area.

3. It needs a cargo net. I think the old ones had a round button on each side that you looped the cargo net loop onto, and it held multiple grocery bags.
I'm not a fan of that big flat net that spans the floor of the cargo area...sort of useless.

4. I got the top of the line CRV, and I expected it to have a button inside to open/close the cargo door. You have to get out of the car to open the
cargo door - the only way to open it is the handle. Even a button on the remote would be nice!

5. MILEAGE - I expected less than the 22/30 on the sticker, but I'm only getting 18-19 city, and 24 on a long highway trip. Plus I'm becoming obsessed
with the gauge that shows instant mileage, I'm concentrating on keeping it over 30mpg as much as possible to hopefully get better mileage. If this is
best I can get, they have grossly overstated the MPG .
I have the 2014 EX.

1. The tilting of the head rest has to do with minimizing whiplash neck injuries from rear-ending. I agree with other posters, the head is not supposed to "rest" on the head-rest while driving.
4. There could be potential property damage/injury risk if the cargo door suddenly pops open and you are not standing right behind making sure there is enough room for it to open.
5. MPG is dependent on a number of factors. With everything remaining the same, it should improve after about 2,000 miles. I took mine on a long trip (continuous highway driving for a couple of hours) when it was out of break-in period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts