Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Came across these forums while looking for a service question answer. Glad I found you all, this looks great. I love my CR-V and I have no complaints, just looking to understand a bit better. I bought my 2014 in 2017, with 17,248 miles. In October 2019 when I took it for an oil change, at 37796 miles, the service advisor gave me the multi-point inspection with the following items checked as "requires immediate attention": engine air filter, passenger compartment air filter, wheel alignment (which I had done elsewhere 2 weeks later when I got new tires), transmission fluid, and brake fluid.

My question is about the transmission fluid and brake fluid. On my receipt, under "declined services" it says Perform transmission fluid service, fluid dirty and due to be changed. It also says Brake fluid is dirty and worn, needs replacement after 3 years.

Since this is a certified preowned car, wouldn't those things have been checked in their inspection as that was at the 3 year mark and since I've put 20,000 miles on it in the past two years that I've owned it, it seems to me that it shouldn't be at that point yet. Why would the fluids be dirty if they were checked 2 years ago and I do a marginal amount of driving, under no extreme conditions.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
If you don't have service records for the brake fluid change have it done. Brake fluid should be changed every three years, regardless of miles driven.

As for the other services, have you read the Maintenance Minder section in your Owners Manual?
What MM codes were showing up?

My Honda dealer also has a bad habit of recommending all sorts of services that need to be done, even when I'm just in for a specific Maintenance Minder code. I always decline what they recommend, unless it matches the MM codes.

The engine air filter and cabin air filter you can change yourself. I buy them online and get a couple of each filter and then store the "spare" one until the next change. I do the same for the three wiper blades.

And welcome to the forum! I bought my 2014 CR-V EX new and have enjoyed driving it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not sure what I did to make your comment drop down as my reply. I don't seem to be able to delete it. Sorry about that.

If you don't have service records for the brake fluid change have it done. Brake fluid should be changed every three years, regardless of miles driven.

As for the other services, have you read the Maintenance Minder section in your Owners Manual?
What MM codes were showing up?

My Honda dealer also has a bad habit of recommending all sorts of services that need to be done, even when I'm just in for a specific Maintenance Minder code. I always decline what they recommend, unless it matches the MM codes.

The engine air filter and cabin air filter you can change yourself. I buy them online and get a couple of each filter and then store the "spare" one until the next change. I do the same for the three wiper blades.

And welcome to the forum! I bought my 2014 CR-V EX new and have enjoyed driving it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and input! I don't have the service records so I'll get that one done then. No mm codes have ever come up yet except for the oil change. I searched high and low today for the manual but I think it was a casualty- I have a vague memory of carrying it in the house when I first bought the car to read something.

But within 2 weeks of buying the car, I had water damage in my house that affected half of my house and everything was a disaster for 4 months after that- everything from one room carried into another, then carried into another, etc. I looked online at the manual but couldn't find any specifics on the maintenance schedule.

I'll take your advice on the filters for sure. I've never done that before but I'll learn this time. :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
You can find a PDF copy of the Owners Manual at owners.honda.com. Just select your year and model (2014 CR-V) and then click the Owners Manual link.

Unlike earlier CR-Vs, there is no "Maintenance Schedule". Instead, we have the Maintenance Minder and information about what the codes are. The first character will be A or B, and the Owners Manual has information about what those codes indicate needs to be done. The second character is a number, and there is information about what has to be done for each number. So when the A# or B# code comes up on your display, refer to your Owners Manual to determine what needs to be done.

I usually print two copies of the codes and services that I want done . When I got to the Honda dealer I give the service writer one copy, and make sure they know I have a second, duplicate copy just in case they "lose" the copy I give them.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
X2 on what racoon said. Get the owners manual and familiarize yourself with the method of observing what maintenance items are coming due at the future oil changes. Keyword: Maintenance Minder.

You will find that for some maintenance items (EX, Cabin Filters) the OM will say to bring the car to the dealer, but there are loads of how-to videos on YouTube so you can do it yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts