Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. my 2014 has been pretty good till now. only issue had been the VT Actuator in the 40K range, covered under warranty. I am now at 94980 miles. about 2 weeks ago, I noticed a rubbing type noise when it is under load (stepping on the gas) remove load, sound goes away. It sounds almost like the timing chain rubbing on something. Maybe its the aux. belt, not sure yet. Has anyone has a similar issue? it happens when the car is cold and warm, slow and highway speeds. I live in Wis, so we are in winter now.

thanks for any input. going to see the dealer next week, but hoping to get an idea before hand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing, a couple weeks back, I was also 2.5 quarts low on oil. I was at about the 65% mark on the Oil Life, for me that's about 4,500 miles. The oil light actually came on. I have not had this problem before. I'm using Mobil 1 extended life full syn in 0W/20 with a mobile 1 extended life filter. My commute is 43 miles each way, all highway.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There's a TSB about a surge, vibration or shudder from the transmission when driving under light acceleration. Could it be that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a TSB about a surge, vibration or shudder from the transmission when driving under light acceleration. Could it be that?
There's no surge or vibrations or shudder, just what sounds like something rubbing on a cover. I have not had someone else in the car while I stand outside with the hood up yet. One of the guys I work with suggested checking the aux. belt, pulleys, not sure if the flywheel/main pulley has a dampener in/on it, but when those go, they can cause some issues. I'll see if I can check more tonight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
just talked with the dealer, they have actually been very good to me over the years with my other honda's (oddy/pilot). he asked some good questions, going to stop in next week for a listen. He did mention, if you get way low on oil, even one time, the timing chain can stretch just enough, normally a check engine light will come on if it is affecting the timing though.

He did mention that if you run longer oil intervals, especially if more of your trips are highway and on the longer side, that they tend to see them start consuming oil after 5K. just his observation.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Your 2014 CR-V has a K24 engine with a timing chain, not a timing belt.

I recently had my 2014 in for the VTC Actuator replacement, and they also recommended replacing the timing chain tensioner, which I agreed to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bad, I meant to say timing chain. Was that your 2nd or 3rd VTC actuator? how much did it run you? the whole idea with a chain is that you shouldn't have to replace it.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
First time it's been replaced, so second VTC actuator. 43,677 miles at the time it was replaced.

Total for parts was $327.17, the tensioner by itself was $68.95.
Labor was $393.04, with tax the total was $790.43.

The chain wasn't replaced, only the tensioner.
#10 in this parts image:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First time it's been replaced, so second VTC actuator. 43,677 miles at the time it was replaced.

Total for parts was $327.17, the tensioner by itself was $68.95.
Labor was $393.04, with tax the total was $790.43.

The chain wasn't replaced, only the tensioner.
#10 in this parts image:

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have same vehicle and around 90k the flexplate started to chadder (scrapping sound) only when put in drive or reverse.
Transmission shifted fine but it was obvious to me and another mechanic friend the noise was from the bell housing area
Honda had to drop transmission to fix, as precautionary while down, the flywheel and torque converter was replaced. (I’m not sure they actual new which one was the defective part) while down they found a small burr on the flexplate, but no obvious signs of bare metal from the scrapping sounds on any of the parts. I’ve been around mechanical stuff most of my life, so I had lots of questions and they actually took me out and showed me what they had found and suspected, everything was replace and noise is gone.
Unfortunately this had to be a manufacturing defect, but out of warranty, Honda only stood behind half the cost of the repair.

please post how yours was resolved, these forums help to keep everyone educated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made it to the dealer to have it checked out. Actually, it was very simple, my snow tires cause the noise. Weird but true. Will driving, makes the noise, shift into N, and put it in the same rpm range, nothing. Thinking back, I noticed the noise after the snows went on this year. I did replace the serpentine belt/tensioner and pulley as well. Still have the oil usage, will keep a closer eye on that going forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts