Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a used '14 CRV-EX-L with only 6500 miles. They of course want a ton of money for it due to it's low mileage. When looking at the free car fax report provided by the dealership the report notes that paint sealant was applied/reapplied prior to initial purchase by the dealership and trim was repaired. OK, that seems normal. Right after the car was purchased by the first owner the report notes that Window tint was installed
Paint sealant applied/reapplied again and the Windshield molding replaced.

With 715 miles the car was returned to the dealer and the trim was checked.

With 4200 miles the car was returned to the dealer and again for the 3rd time, paint sealant applied/reapplied.

The very next day with 100 more miles on it the report notes; paint sealant/applied/reapplied.

6 months later the car is offered for sale by a different dealership in the same area.

So the car is a year and a half old and paint sealant has been applied or reapplied 4 times. I haven't bought many used cars and am not familiar with paint issues but this seems like a red flag. And the owner sold the car back to a different dealer in roughly the same area after paint sealant was applied 4 times.

Please any comments on this.

·
Registered
776 Posts
We think alike on this one !! I'd find a friend who has access to DMV records (local cop) and find out who owned the car and give them a call. Not only is a paint job spendy, but it's never as good as what came from the factory IMO. No clue where you're located, but up here there were tons of them on CL as well at various dealers. Personally, I'd pass. Craig

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Let's think about this a little...paint sealant isn't the same as repainting a car.
A little anecdote - we once bought a Pontiac Transport in Dark Metallic Blue w/Taupe trim. Van looked black almost in certain light. I knew what I was getting into with a dark colored van (I like to keep my cars really clean) and insisted we get the Final Touch paint sealant offered by the dealer to help me keep it looking nice. Well, we got it home from the dealer and the in-law's stopped by to see it. It was just about sunset time so no direct light on the van, which was sitting in our west facing driveway. As my mother-in-law is looking at the car the paint on the hood looked like it had been fubarred with wax or something, it was all streaky to the point she said "Is that paint supposed to look like that?"
When I saw it I could tell right away what happened. It was due to an uneven application of the sealant. Now I had inspected the van before we took delivery so knew it wasn't supposed to look like that and didn't under normal viewing circumstances. Took it back to the dealer the next day and had them reapply it, even though you couldn't see it under the light conditions of the day. I explained to the service manager about the lighting the other afternoon and he said he understood and it wouldn't be a problem.
So, what you may have here in this CR-V is a picky owner who likes a sharp looking car and he got it cleaned up a number of times by having the sealant reapplied. I could have requested that be done on the van any number of times if it looked like the sealant was going away.
What color is the CR-V?
This may have a lot to do with the reapplication of the sealant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks guys, but I'm going to pass on this one. It may very well have been a picky owner but the fact that the car has had the paint sealant reapplied 4 times just seems too strange to me. Perhaps the owner just wasn't satisfied and traded it in. The dealer is asking just under $26 for this car which is a bit too much when compared to the competition.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I respect what 20CRV said and he may well be right, but I'd pass as well. If the car were a steal, I might think differently, but at that price why not get one with no history of issues - whatever they may be !! Good luck. Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts