Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 Used EX-L AWD Honda CR-V with about 5000 miles. It now has 8000+ miles. From the first week or so I noticed a whine that seems to be related to 1) the speed (40-60 mph) and 2) a very light pressure on the gas pedal. I usually can drown out this very annoying sound by turning up the radio (horrible solution) or driving at higher speeds (also NOT a good solution) where the road noise seems to overpower the perception of whine (CR-V is much noisier than what I was previously driving - a Toyota Camry). Honda dealer tells me all is fine - its NOT! What do do? I paid for a transmission oil change - no change in noise. Should I have the differential looked at? Car is still under warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 2014 Used EX-L AWD Honda CR-V with about 5000 miles. It now has 8000+ miles. From the first week or so I noticed a whine that seems to be related to 1) the speed (40-60 mph) and 2) a very light pressure on the gas pedal. I usually can drown out this very annoying sound by turning up the radio (horrible solution) or driving at higher speeds (also NOT a good solution) where the road noise seems to overpower the perception of whine (CR-V is much noisier than what I was previously driving - a Toyota Camry). Honda dealer tells me all is fine - its NOT! What do do? I paid for a transmission oil change - no change in noise. Should I have the differential looked at? Car is still under warranty. Thanks.
I just bought a '14 CRV EX-L AWD with 24,000 miles. It makes the same noise at the same speeds. Any solutions? I don't want to go unarmed to the dealership and be told it's normal. My Ridgeline and Elements did not do this.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
At 24K miles, the most likely cause is feathered or cupped tires. Lack of timely rotation can do this.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

I'd suggest rotating the tires (feel the rears especially for 'sharp edges' which indicate feathering). Since your tires are surely at least half worn, the noise may not go away until the tires are replaced. BUT the noise will not cause a safety issue, tho' it may be annoying!

I'd plan on an alignment when you get the new tires, too. Never hurts to check (the car could have been 'curbed' by the previous owner).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our 2014 does the same thing at the same speeds. It (to me) is an air whine or whistle that you can make come and go with the lightest throttle change. On our CR-V at least 60-62 mph it is most prominent. I' didn't even bother to mention it to the dealer because they can't get the wheels torqued properly or get the oil to the proper level on the dipstick.
We have had the same dealer do an alignment (another failure) and it changed nothing, the tire pressure in the front tires was 40 psi while the rear tires were 30 psi and that was 2 days after they did the alignment. The tire pressure light came on so I checked the tires and that is what I found. Best part is they charge $119 per hour for labor and probably pay their help minimum wage. Gotta find a new dealer.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm afraid a dealership is the LAST place I'd go looking for a good alignment. To get it done right, find a good shop that specializes in alignments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reason I had the dealer do it was because they put 2 new tires on the vehicle prior to taking the vehicle off the lot. I agree, and it will be going to a real alignment shop soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts