Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my CRV almost exactly a year today (one more week until a full year), and the paint just below passenger side rear break light is exhibiting some weird rippling effect. The best I can describe it is as if when the paint was not drive, some one ran it over with some kind of tire to have this strange rippling effect. There is no dent or any other damage to the surface. The paint also doesn't have any cracks that I can tell. It's just rippled.

FWIW, I park the CRV outside all the time, and one day a couple of weeks ago, I started noticing it. As best I can tell, It doesn't seem to be getting noticeably worst. Has anyone seen this before? What could be the cause of the problem? Thanks for any advise or tip in advance!

Honda CRV Paint Problem.jpg

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sure looks like something was contaminated and rose to the surface for some reason a year after manufacture. I'm sure it's covered by warranty but it would be interesting to know if this is isolated or not !! Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking as well. I'll update the thread on what I hear from my dealership.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Almost looks like someone may have 'nudged' the bumper from the lower left corner of the picture.
If you're sure no one has 'hit' the car when parked, I'd agree with the 'defective paint from the factory' theory.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Looks like the surface was dirty before they painted it and now it's causing a paint defect. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,614 Posts
Looks to me as if the substrate (plastic bumper) is shrinking due to expansion or contraction.

Got that wrinkled effect on an 80s car I once owned.

By all means, bring it to the dealer's attention right away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update on this: the dealer and a 3rd party body shop have looked at the damage, neither can tell what cause the damage. They did also mention the possibility of heat related damage from window reflection, as suggested by others here. I am still waiting to see if Honda USA will cover this under the CRV warranty. The saga continues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last update I hope, which is that I did get approval from Honda USA to cover the damage. They still have no idea what the cause might be, but at least it's covered by the warranty. Thanks all for the helpful tips!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts