Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was left overnight with the headlights on. After jumping the radio works but NO back up camera, time, or anything on the display. Suggestions?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,591 Posts
Low voltage can confuse the electronics.

Once you are sure that the battery is holding a sufficient charge (not just a minimal amount),

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Wait 5 minutes, then touch the negative & positive together for 15 - 30 seconds to assure a 'cold boot'.

Reconnect, and see if the other stuff comes back to life. (Might require 15 minutes of driving).

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,638 Posts
Also... that full discharge may have toasted your battery, so I would have it properly load tested after it has been fully recharged. That is the only way to tell if your battery is still up to spec or not.

If it still tests good on specs, then it still benefits from a periodic full saturation charge with a smart battery charger/maintainer, as this can help modestly restore any plate damage from a full discharge, or persistent low charge (which does prematurely kill starter batteries).

Flooded cell starter batteries do not like to get depleted. Unlike Marine/RV batteries, the plates are not designed for deep cycling and can be damaged by one or more full discharges. The industry says a brand new flooded cell starter battery can take up to 12 full discharges over it's life.... BUT... that presupposes a brand new fully charged battery that meets all specs under a load test and has no internal defects. Frankly... a battery that is a couple years+ old is not up to the task.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, tried that and got a different outcome. Radio still works. The display now reads: In Line Diag. M-bcan OK, Duet: OK, GA-Net: OK, Camera: OK, Result: NG. Still no camera and the setup button doesn't work. Ever seen that screen? It's not in the owners manual.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
481 Posts
So you got into the secret menu?
I hear you get there by:
When on the home screen, press and hold the brightness (day/night), menu and power buttons together in that order.

This video shows for a pilot. But I would guess it works for crv too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car was left overnight with the headlights on. After jumping the radio works but NO back up camera, time, or anything on the display. Suggestions?
Get a battery charger, just jumping and driving is hard on alternator, alternator is not for charging dead batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charged it overnight. Next I'm going to try leaving the battery unhooked for at least an hour. The screen shown by "ilovemyhonda..." is much fancier than what I have. It's my moms car and the cheap one with steel wheels, no extras. Yes, I admit trying many combinations of buttons trying to reset the display.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,591 Posts
Next I'm going to try leaving the battery unhooked for at least an hour.
No need.
The important action is to touch the neg and pos terminals together, to bleed off any residual effects of low voltage.

But, you did that already (post 2).

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
481 Posts
When you "jumped" your car, were there lots of spark? Was the radio on when you jump it? I hope you didnt short something on the head unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts