Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen...I have been noticing the engine in my 2014 CRV (191,000 miles) is making a chattering sound when pressing the accelerator at low speeds (under 40 mph). It does it really bad when cold, but is also noticible when at operating temperature. If you ever drop a stick shift, it's like when you upshifted too fast and lugged the engine...if I click off the overdrive and drop down to 3rd gear and wind the engine up to 2500+ rpms it goes away...she is also starting to consume oil...I have added 1 quart so far this period..any thoughts?? valve timing, timing belt? valve adjustments? ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have noticed a little bit of lugging when I have the ECO mode ON and none when it is off. Does ECO effect yours?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jimbo I have not had the ECO on since the first week I had my car..it ruins the performance of the car by upshifting too quickly and laboring the engine. I got better overall economy with it turned off as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup. I have a '14 as well, and it does this, too. Usually right around 25-30 mph. Very annoying, and I find myself driving a little faster, aka pushing the accelerator down harder when I know it's about to happen. As described by the OP, it's exactly like lugging the engine with a manual, but mine's an automatic.

Yeah, the ECO button is a farce. I never noticed better gas mileage, just that the car is gutless with it on.

As far as oil consumption, the last time I had the car in for service, they said the oil was black and low, even tho I stuck to the oil change schedule religiously.

Don't know what to do about any of this. Maybe just to buy a different brand next time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Theres another post on here for a crv with way less miles and someone posted a tsb for it and honda had it covered for 8/80k search for shaking at 20/30mph

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fich..when I know I will be driving in a slow speed area, I click off the overdrive which keeps me in 3rd gear and raises the engine rpms so the engine does not get labored and make the noise..I plan to keep my car for a long time. I usually push my oil changes to about 9000 miles based on the engine maintenance info, which is about 2 months for me..last time in my mechanic yelled at me and said I was down about 2.5 quarts...I have started checking the oil every few weeks and have added about 1.5 quarts so far this period and I will be going in for an oil change this week. I only got the labored noise last year when she was cold...not it does it most of the time..more when cold, but still when at operating temp as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
funny, i get that shake also at about 20-30, and as soon as i just give it more gas, it evens out. been that way for a while, and have 72k on 2012 LX. always was curious as to what it is, and still have it, but never got worse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not getting any shaking. Took a ride over and talked to my local mechanic. He is aware of some issues with Honda engines. He is going to get a new timing chain tensioner and he mentioned another part that I had not heard of before..he said the issue has to do with low oil pressure at low engine rpm.

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
i must thank whoever posted that link. just made an appt. for my 2012 to get that tranny software upgrade and fluid change. i am still under the 8/80,000. : ). one win for the consumer today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen...I have been noticing the engine in my 2014 CRV (191,000 miles) is making a chattering sound when pressing the accelerator at low speeds (under 40 mph). It does it really bad when cold, but is also noticible when at operating temperature. If you ever drop a stick shift, it's like when you upshifted too fast and lugged the engine...if I click off the overdrive and drop down to 3rd gear and wind the engine up to 2500+ rpms it goes away...she is also starting to consume oil...I have added 1 quart so far this period..any thoughts?? valve timing, timing belt? valve adjustments? ..
I had this exact problem on my 2003, and the fix wasn't expensive. Metal shavings build up in the transmission, and at low speeds or rpm, they clog. The flow is better at higher rpms. There's a bulletin on this from Honda. IMPORTANT: Don't let them flush the tmsn under higher power. It will damage it, esp an older one. I had mine done at Honda but they used a newer way of attaching an external tank under normal pressure. Since they did that, the shudder is gone. Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
i must thank whoever posted that link. just made an appt. for my 2012 to get that tranny software upgrade and fluid change. i am still under the 8/80,000. : ). one win for the consumer today.
Good deal. Where do I go to find info on the software update on my 2003? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had it done 2 days ago. shudder is gone. unfortunately i also had a tranny fluid leak, which they showed me at the transaxle seal. cost me 300 dollars.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yup. I have a '14 as well, and it does this, too. Usually right around 25-30 mph. Very annoying, and I find myself driving a little faster, aka pushing the accelerator down harder when I know it's about to happen. As described by the OP, it's exactly like lugging the engine with a manual, but mine's an automatic.

Yeah, the ECO button is a farce. I never noticed better gas mileage, just that the car is gutless with it on.

As far as oil consumption, the last time I had the car in for service, they said the oil was black and low, even tho I stuck to the oil change schedule religiously.

Don't know what to do about any of this. Maybe just to buy a different brand next time.
Sounds like you should check your oil more often.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is my first time experience with service bulletin.how much it cost to replace the stuffs mentioned in service bulletin
You may get the software upgrade for free but you are out of warranty with that mileage. A trans flush will be around $100. If your vehicle has never had the trans fluid changed you may want to do it a second time after a couple of days as a flush only removes approximately 1/3 of the fluid. Worst case is that the problem does not go away and you need a new torque converter $$$$…..hopefully software / flush solves the problem. I get my trans fluid flushed every 25-30,000 kms. I recommend that you do not use anything other than Honda fluid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good evening folks:
My wife picked my car up from the mechanic the other day and drove to work this morning (on vacation last week). It was 20 degrees here this morning and my car did not make the vvt noise..first time in 2-3 years!..It also did not make the chattering sound at low speeds.....He replaced the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, belt tensioner, new belts, an arm and bracket..not sure what they were..total parts was just under $500 dollars and labor was $399.00. He is not a dealership, so I got charged the hours the job actually took instead of getting corn-holed according to the "book".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts