Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2014 CRV EX Gas Mileage is a JOKE!

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Milbo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I was browsing through the forum quickly today reading people's MPGs out of curiosity. I was surprised to find people complaining about #s in the high teens and low 20s! LoL! My CRV has about 15k now and is averaging, even with snail mode on (ECO) around 13 MPG! How is this possible? The car is a brand new lease, "broken in" etc. I live in NYC so it is extreme city conditions, but I noticed If i reset the counter and go on the highway for a good distance, I still do not break 15mpg.

Is this normal for a 2014 CRV EX AT, or should I take action and try to contact honda / the dealership? I am asking because upcoming is the winter break and I'd like to drive down south, would be nice to get a decent MPG for the ride.

Thanks in advance and happy holidaze!

#4 ·
You answered your own question:

Your mileage is poor because you live in NYC, where it takes two hours to get out of town on a GOOD day. LOL

I'm a member of several auto forums involving several makes, and the NYC owners are ALWAYS the ones that get lousy MPG. So, it's not anything you did.

+++++++++++++

As a diagnostic, take a ride up the Hudson valley on the Thruway. Fill up in Sloatsburg. Drive to Kingston (I recommend visiting the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, fascinating! http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/ ) Taconic Parkway is a good alternate route if you don't want to pay tolls.

Before you re-enter the City, fill up again and divide miles driven by gallons used.

Let us know the results.

#7 ·
As Coastie said, the onboard MPG counter isn't all that accurate. Again, it's the same in most cars (not just Hondas). MPG is inferred via the car's OBDII inputs.

The most accurate way to track fuel usage is to do the math the old fashioned way, over many fill-ups. That is what the fuelly app does for ya.

The steps I outlined eliminate the warm up cycles and stop and go driving. It lets you know what your V is capable of.

#8 ·
I have always from my computer to be pretty close from 21-28MPG
when doing at lot of highway I sometimes get 35 mpg and the comp is off

I have never seen mpg that low, it is extremely driver dependant

What kind of driving are you doing? All City? how heavy are you on the accelerator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.