Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching on this and haven't found any suitable answers. I have replaced the head unit in my wife's 2014 CRV EX-L w/Nav. A while ago actually. She's been wanting her backup camera back so I've really started looking into that. Today, I attempted to splice the wires from the camera plug into the system with no luck (no video at all). I'm not at the point where I may just end up replacing the camera with an aftermarket one, but I'm not looking forward to that either.

Any ideas here? If I'm using the factory camera, I'd really like to find a socket to match the plug to make the wiring much neater. If I need to go the aftermarket route, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Joey.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a harness on ebay for this. Check to see if you have a 24 or 32 pin harness. I believe its 32 but confirm.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
My 2014 EX displays the backup camera on the i-MID display.
I don't know if you can, or how hard it would be to change your EX-L Navi CR-V to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've done some searching on this and haven't found any suitable answers. I have replaced the head unit in my wife's 2014 CRV EX-L w/Nav. A while ago actually. She's been wanting her backup camera back so I've really started looking into that. Today, I attempted to splice the wires from the camera plug into the system with no luck (no video at all). I'm not at the point where I may just end up replacing the camera with an aftermarket one, but I'm not looking forward to that either.

Any ideas here? If I'm using the factory camera, I'd really like to find a socket to match the plug to make the wiring much neater. If I need to go the aftermarket route, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Joey.
I have 2014 EXL without nav: put in aftermarket unit
tapped off 32-pin connector behind imid: backup video on Pins A19 and A18, red & green wires respectfully.

Very difficult to make good connections there.

Order a 32-pin breakout harness from aliexpress.

Will have to make RCA male-to-male jumper to connect aftermarket head unit to the
BigBigRoad Car Rear View Parking Backup Camera Adapter
Connector Wire 32 pins For Honda CRV CR-V 2012 - 2017
Female.

Hope this may help you--I do not know how your factory NAV unit is different than mine without NAV, sorry..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The EX-L w/Nav uses a 7 pin connector for the camera and displays in the nav unit. The EM camera has the adaptive capability for multiple viewing angles.

·
Registered
219 Posts

This is part one of a video about replacing a head unit in a 2014 CRV with Nav, and they go through retaining the camera.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The EX-L w/Nav uses a 7 pin connector for the camera and displays in the nav unit. The EM camera has the adaptive capability for multiple viewing angles.
OK. So NAV and no nav is different.

Seems like the "BIGBIGROAD" may have the gizmo for the 7-pin connector.

This says Civic & Ciimo?

Maybe it will work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK. So NAV and no nav is different.

Seems like the "BIGBIGROAD" may have the gizmo for the 7-pin connector.

This says Civic & Ciimo?

Maybe it will work.
That looks like it is for adding a camera to a system that doesn’t have it, or changing to an after market camera, NOT for connecting the factory camera to an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks like it is for adding a camera to a system that doesn’t have it, or changing to an after market camera, NOT for connecting the factory camera to an aftermarket head unit.
That's what I was thinking as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree.
Possibly another breakout harness connector would be more suitable:

I am not sure of the (required) connector's gender. The OEM video is on what gender?...So the connector needed is...?

Just trying to help out.
In my situation (without NAV) an alternate breakout harness with an RCA male-to-male converted a Female looking for video to one producing it.

1572225322502.png

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is part one of a video about replacing a head unit in a 2014 CRV with Nav, and they go through retaining the camera.
This looks like it's exactly what I need. And I was so close. It looks like I just need to recheck my wiring. Maybe one day this week I'll get back around to it.

Thanks a ton for all of the input!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Agree.
Possibly another breakout harness connector would be more suitable:

I am not sure of the (required) connector's gender. The OEM video is on what gender?...So the connector needed is...?

Just trying to help out.
In my situation (without NAV) an alternate breakout harness with an RCA male-to-male converted a Female looking for video to one producing it.

View attachment 136042
Mopat, we are both working toward the same goal, to help out. Thank you, and I apologize if my comments were taken as anything but me trying to help out as well.

To answer your question, the OEM is a female, so the male end is needed to connect the factory camera to an aftermarket. The new adapter you found does have the needed male end. It would need to be repinned to move the four wires there to the camera video and power spots. The female end would not be used for what jblanken64 is doing.

The key bit to check what a given harness is used for is the gender on the RCA. Female RCA means the harness is almost always to connect an aftermarket camera to a factory head unit. Male RCA, it is to output factory camera to an aftermarket head unit.

If you're repinning a harness, a cheap ($10) set of repinning tools from Amazon makes it SO much easier than trying with a mini screwdriver set. Turns a 30-60 minute exercise in frustration to 2 minutes of simplicity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it done! The OEM camera is definitely not the best camera from a quality standpoint. And it is now in an ultra wide angle mode. Not sure if that can be changed or not. There are a couple of other wires that probably take some kind of control signal but there's no easy way to simulate that, I think. But my wife is happy for now. I may end up going with an aftermarket camera later on. But for now, all is good. Thanks again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got it done! The OEM camera is definitely not the best camera from a quality standpoint. And it is now in an ultra wide angle mode. Not sure if that can be changed or not. There are a couple of other wires that probably take some kind of control signal but there's no easy way to simulate that, I think. But my wife is happy for now. I may end up going with an aftermarket camera later on. But for now, all is good. Thanks again.
Congratulations!

In theory, there are two wires, VIDEO_BIT0 and VIDEO_BIT1, that if 8 volts is applied to one, it changes to normal view, and 8 volts to the other to down view is shown. I could not get it to work when I tested, but I was working with 6 volts. I don’t have a pin out of that connector, but the two wires should be in it.

The backup camera normally is powered with 8 volts, which is why the control signals use 8 volts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations!

In theory, there are two wires, VIDEO_BIT0 and VIDEO_BIT1, that if 8 volts is applied to one, it changes to normal view, and 8 volts to the other to down view is shown. I could not get it to work when I tested, but I was working with 6 volts. I don’t have a pin out of that connector, but the two wires should be in it.

The backup camera normally is powered with 8 volts, which is why the control signals use 8 volts.
I'm using the switchable power converter (which goes up to 9V, I think it's called the VOLT39). The video above seemed to imply that 9V would be safe. I think I also have some adjustable power supplies around left over from some electronics hobbies that may be able to go to 8V. I may try to hook up some type of switching mechanism to allow some selection of the angle manually, assuming I can get it to switch at all.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For the Data bits, consider putting in a series resistor (~5-10k) as a precaution if you are using the same power source that is powering the camera. You want the electricity to be able to flow to the power side of the camera easier than the data side.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have 2014 EXL without nav: put in aftermarket unit
tapped off 32-pin connector behind imid: backup video on Pins A19 and A18, red & green wires respectfully.

Very difficult to make good connections there.

Order a 32-pin breakout harness from aliexpress.

Will have to make RCA male-to-male jumper to connect aftermarket head unit to the
BigBigRoad Car Rear View Parking Backup Camera Adapter
Connector Wire 32 pins For Honda CRV CR-V 2012 - 2017

Female.

Hope this may help you--I do not know how your factory NAV unit is different than mine without NAV, sorry..
I have a 2013 EXL without nav, with factory amp and subwoofer. Is this what you have? If so, I have the same green and red wires in pins 18 and 19 I think. Do remember which one is signal and which is ground?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Update. I got it working. A couple things to note:
  1. The orientation in the diagram was not correct for my iMID. Look for the red and green wires in the corner of the connector.
  2. In my case, the iMID had to be connected for it to display on my HU. So even to test the connection, I had to plug in the iMID.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts