Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 CRV 12,600mi bought in August 2013. Did first oil change at honda recommended 7,000mi (at the dealer). Recently had tire service done and was told i'm missing 2 quarts of oil, determined by looking at the oil stick. I never had oil leaks in any of my cars so i didn't bother checking. My CRV doesn't have a leak, no smoke or soot coming from exhaust. Where does the oil go? Is it normal? Safe to drive until the next oil change at 14,000mi? Never had anything like this in any of my other cars.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes, your experience is unusual. Do yourself a favor and check the oil every several days so you know if it is a gradual decline in the level or what. Also, as you may have already, check the floor or area where you park it for drippings. Always check the oil and other fluid levels yourself once a week, and tire pressure a couple of times a week. Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I check but its at the same level since i first discovered at the shop last week. No drip detected on the ground. Probably a slow burn. Tires don't leak air, OBD scan no error codes. Its still under warranty so i want to have a dealer check it, but most likely will get the runaround.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did you add oil to bring the level to full, it only takes about half quart to go from the low mark to the full mark. How was it determined that it was two quarts low, did they add two quarts to make it full?
Although a little much the manual says to check your oil at every fuel up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This info was on the K24 engine in the Civic Si. 2012-2014 CRV use the K24 engine family.

Honda Service Bulletin 12-069 - Excessive Engine Oil Consumption - 10/23/2012

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you add oil to bring the level to full, it only takes about half quart to go from the low mark to the full mark. How was it determined that it was two quarts low, did they add two quarts to make it full?
Although a little much the manual says to check your oil at every fuel up.

I didn't add oil and didn't let the tire shop do it. They patched a tire but also checked fluid levels. The tech told me its missing 2 quarts by looking at the stick. Not sure how he determined. I didn't want the tire shop change oil because i always do it at honda dealer. The place is Mavis "Discount" Tire, manager insisted i should always use full synthetic ~$80 at Mavis, tried hard to push oilchange since he wasn't making money on tire patching. I want honda to look at it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This info was on the K24 engine in the Civic Si. 2012-2014 CRV use the K24 engine family.

Honda Service Bulletin 12-069 - Excessive Engine Oil Consumption - 10/23/2012
I didn't know, no TSB notice for my CRV. Is it safe to drive, though? Engine doesn't overheat, no error codes.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Makes no sense to me. If you're down 2 quartz, there will be nothing on the dipstick. Yet you say that the level is the same looking at the dipstick. So you must see the oil level.

My suggestion: Instead of asking on a forum, have someone who knows what they're doing look at it. Nobody here can see your level.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
I would question honesty of the tech trying to push oil change.
Me too.

Maybe, the Mavis guy WAS trying to scare you into an oil change. You SHOULD check your oil yourself. Best accuracy is after the engine has been off for 15 minutes.

I remember stories of gas station attendants trying to sell quarts of oil using the "Short-Stick" method. That's when they don't insert the dipstick all the way into it's holder, then show the owner how low the level is!

Perhaps the dealer tech didn't quite fill it up all the way too (some oil stays in the filter at a change, so the level could have dropped).

PS, TSBs are not communicated to owners. They are issued to reduce troubleshooting time for known problems by dealer technicians.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Perhaps it was not serviced properly at the last oil change. I'd have the dealer check it and if they find nothing, check it often. If it is not using oil, then it was not filled properly. I have a 2014 CRV that does not use any oil between changes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Me too.

Maybe, the Mavis guy WAS trying to scare you into an oil change. You SHOULD check your oil yourself. Best accuracy is after the engine has been off for 15 minutes.

I remember stories of gas station attendants trying to sell quarts of oil using the "Short-Stick" method. That's when they don't insert the dipstick all the way into it's holder, then show the owner how low the level is!

Perhaps the dealer tech didn't quite fill it up all the way too (some oil stays in the filter at a change, so the level could have dropped).

PS, TSBs are not communicated to owners. They are issued to reduce troubleshooting time for known problems by dealer technicians.

Since i first went to Mavis the oil seems low, at or slightly below the first mark. Should be between the dots (4qts) according to the user manual. Mavis tried to push more expensive full synthetic. When i declined the manager became even more aggressive. He came from Jiffy Lube chain so he knows better than customers. I already scheduled with honda but they only do diagnostics on weekdays before 1:00 so i won't be able to get in until monday morning. Expecting an oil change service and the typical dealer run-around bs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be finding another dealer if I experienced what you did. Craig
I go to different dealers. Found one best of the worst around my area. All crooks. The one who did first oil change service adviser/manager team tried to charge me for battery service under warranty, for cleaning acid spilled by the battery. But that's a different story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a rule, I usually check my oil every time someone other than my local garage changes it. I've heard the horror stories and seen it first hand (it happened to me years ago at a jiffy lube.) where the oil change guy occasionally just relies on the automatic oil dispenser gauge and doesn't check the dipstick after he adds the oil.

I also agree with some of the other posters here that that tire guy seemed overly eager to push that oil change.

I sincerely hope you don't have any problems with your car, and I don't think that you do.

Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a rule, I usually check my oil every time someone other than my local garage changes it. I've heard the horror stories and seen it first hand (it happened to me years ago at a jiffy lube.) where the oil change guy occasionally just relies on the automatic oil dispenser gauge and doesn't check the dipstick after he adds the oil.

I also agree with some of the other posters here that that tire guy seemed overly eager to push that oil change.

I sincerely hope you don't have any problems with your car, and I don't think that you do.

Just my 2 cents.:)

I've had old and new cars never lost oil so i don't check often and trust dealers. Now i will check often. My worst fear i'm not a pro and don't have pro friends. If a tech intentionally or unintentionally does something wrong i won't know about it until its too late. I'll post dealer diagnosis when i go this monday.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
You still should not trust the dealer. Checking is your best defense. If you rely on the dealer to do your oil changes, I'd suggest you check it when you pick up your car. Shut it off, get out, pull the dip stick and check to see where the level is on the stick. If they hassle you about doing this, just relate this story to them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't drive it until I added the oil.

Next, if the dealer doesn't like you checking your oil, in order to be particular about the work that they did, could it be possible that they are not particular about the work that they do? If you have to explain it to them....

Tis time to start taking notes and don't lose them. Right down what the dealer says, follow his advice, and document it. If you have any doubts about what he says, then ask him again....fer instance, "Are you saying that this is normal?"

That said, I didn't notice, but was this the 1st time, on this oil change, that the oil was checked?

I have had motors use oil, and then on the next 5 oil changes afterward not use a drop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer service adviser says for the CRV it's normal to burn 1 quart for every 1000 miles, i should change oil at 15% according to the maintenance minder, every 4500mi not according to the manual 7000mi for normal driving conditions. I never lost that much oil in any of my new or old cars so i don't check often, unless it drips. I did my first oil change around 7000mi. Service adviser said the car is safe to drive and Honda will not do anything about it. Total oil capacity 4.0qts. Since first noticed about 10 ago the oil is at the same bottom mark level on the stick. It doesn't seem to burn THAT much oil as the adviser claims is normal or else i'd be completely empty 3000mi ago. Still disappointed if its normal to burn 2? quarts in between oil changes. Or maybe because the engine is still breaking in? 12,700mi.

I do record everything and take photos/video of things.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts