Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69000 klms now and at last oil change tech. said their is a leak at bottom of chain cover.Couldn't determine source.if the sender started to leak again would it run down to the chain cover bottom?2.4l 4cyl.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,760 Posts
If the replacement sender was aftermarket it could be failing. Typical...

BUT:

The best way to tell for sure, is to have the oily area totally cleaned up, then inspected after a period if time. Otherwise you are just guessing.

(For example, if the valve cover was ever removed and the 'corners' were improperly resealed, they could leak. If the VTC actuator was replaced that's another possibility.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sender was replaced by the selling dealer,so probably used Honda parts.tech said he cleaned the area and will look at it at next service which will be next summer!!I make very few kilometers a year.Hope it is alright in the mean time.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,178 Posts
the small cover tends to leak, 3 bolts and some grey silcon, easy fix
Agree with Downloader, there is a small chain inspection cover on the timing chain cover...My 2014 is also leaking there, have been waiting until the end of warrant nears to see if any other things spring a leak and have it done then.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The sender was replaced by the selling dealer,so probably used Honda parts.tech said he cleaned the area and will look at it at next service which will be next summer!!I make very few kilometers a year.Hope it is alright in the mean time.
My 2014 CRV had an oil leak around the same area. Had to take it to the dealer three times and write to Honda Customer Service. If the oil sender is leaking it will flow down the chain case and splatter all over because of wind force. First they said it was that black inspection cover. Second time it was the triangular black bracket holding an engine mount. Third time it was the big chain cover. Third time they put in a tracer dye in the engine oil after the repair and had me return after 1,000 miles. Finally no leak. I also had a second leak around valve cover behind #4 cylinder. I would ask them to put in a tracer dye and take it back after 1,000 KM.

This thread has details and some pics: https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...14-crv-oil-leak-oil-pressure-switch-area.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts