Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 CRV EXL with Nav. 2600 miles.

Severe Hesitation happens randomly. Hopefully someone knows of a solution to the following problem. I will start by explaining exactly what happened yesterday.

Driving down the street and had to stop due to a slight traffic backup. When I took my right foot off the brake and stepped on the gas, the car would barely proceed. No matter how much pressure on the gas pedal, the rpm would not go above 2000 and I could only go about 15 mph. I took my foot off the gas and the car did not coast, it stopped...as if I was pressing the brake pedal. (I wasn't). I again stepped on accelerator and could only go about 15 mph and no matter how much gas I gave it, my rpm would not go above 2000. Took foot off gas and again car stopped, did not coast as the car would normally do. I again stepped on gas and again the same problem as I approached the corner and a stop sign. I put my foot on the brake and had to sit at the stop sign for about 30 seconds until there was a break in cross traffic. At this point when I stepped on the gas, the car operated normally. Just normal pressure on gas pedal and I was up to 3000 rpm and over 30 mph, driving normally.

My car has been in for this problem 3 times. It goes back in again on Monday 11/10. Other instances were similar to situation above. It's actually very scary. When I step on the gas after braking to a stop, I don't know if the car is going to go....or if my car will just barely proceed forward.

First time at dealer - Dealer told me that they thought it was the Brake Relay switch. They adjusted the switch.
2nd time at dealer - Dealer opened up a Techline case with Honda. Honda told them to replace the Brake Relay Switch
3rd time at dealer - Dealer adjusted the recently installed new Brake Relay Switch again.

It was explained to me that the Brake Relay Switch is not sending the appropriate info to a computer in the car. And the computer thinks the brakes are still on and the computer prevents the engine from operating normally and prevents the car from accelerating.

This situation happens about once every 3 weeks. Its so dangerous when it happens when crossing or turning at an intersection and cross traffic doesn't have a stop sign. Cross traffic is expecting me to go once I started...not piddle along at a very slow pace for 15, 20 seconds or longer until the car magically corrects itself and normal acceleration occurs.

No left foot braking. Only right foot is used for both brake and gas. No use of Econ button.

I set up a special email account. Anyone can email me at [email protected]. I will also monitor for posts. I just joined the forum.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Alan

·
Registered
534 Posts
In drive "D" and the brake pedal is engaged, thanks to runaway Toyotas, the engine is limited to 2000 rpm. I wonder if your brake pedal is returning all the way when you let off it. It also makes it hard to drive up on ramps to change the oil.

That and the brake light switch are the only logical reason for the engine to limit rpms to 2000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
larryr,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to confuse the issue with a separate but related issue. Sometimes I park the car and later notice that the brake lights are still on. Of course I did check to see if the brake pedal was coming up all the way. It was and is. Had to pump the brake pedal a few times and finally the brake lights went out.

Since they adjusted, replaced, and adjusted again, the Brake Relay Switch, I am wondering what it could be. Having been told that the Brake Relay Switch sends info to the computer, I'm thinking maybe the computer has a flaw that is specific to my car. It is frightening when you go to make a turn at an intersection, there is room to go between cross traffic in normal conditions and all of a sudden you go and can only proceed at a snails pace. Someone is going to T-bone me.

Obviously from what you just told me, the computer thinks the brakes are on...and they are...even though no longer pressing the brake as the 2000 rpm limit is exactly what happens. And if you take foot of gas, car stops...no coasting at all.

I am afraid one of these times an accident will occur. And my daughter drives this car!

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
534 Posts
Brake lights on will definitely limit the engine to 2000 rpms. Either they adjusted the brake pedal switch wrong or the brake relay is bad.

I have a 13EEE foot and I have on one occasion hit the gas and the brake at the same time. Could that have happened to you? The pedals can be pressed at the same time with the right foot slightly angled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that's a big foot! :) I'm just a 8D. No, its not my foot pressing both gas and same time. Though they replaced and adjusted the Brake Relay Switch, its either that or its a glitch in the computer where at random the computer does not get the signal that the foot is off the brake. The brake is really still on...foot removed and my little foot on the gas. Max power is 2000 rpm, about 15 to 17 mph. Take foot off gas and car stops quickly, no coasting along because the brake pads still engaged even though foot has been off brake for considerable time.

I can only hope the dealer can find the source of the problem when I drop the car off tomorrow. It only happens once every 2 or 3 weeks so it never does it when they take a 10 minute test drive. But they do try to resolve. As I said they adjusted, replaced, and adjusted the Brake Relay Switch, doing something with it each service visit.

Alan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the parking brake pedal all the way up and disengaged?
I had recently seen a technical service brake bulletin:
TSB Number: IN-1-10-14 NHTSA Number: 10054543 TSB Date: January 10, 2014 Date Added to File: February 3, 2014

Failing Component:
Parking Brake

Summary:
Honda: some vehicles may experience an inoperable parking brake indicator light while the brake is engaged. AHM is requesting to inspect the vehicle before any repairs have been made.

I don't know if it also sends a signal to the computer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arminidog,

The first time this happened, my daughter called me scared. Her baby in the car. As she explained the lack of acceleration, parking brake was my first thought. The parking brake was off. But I told her to check just in case the light was burnt out. She put the brake on. Light came on. Put brake off, light went off. Its not the parking brake. But thanks for mentioning it.

It seems that it is something definitely with the Brake Relay Switch and the brakes remaining engaged after your foot is no longer on the brake pedal. I am wondering if some electrical wire has a short that occasionally causes my problem. Or a faulty connection that occasionally causes it. We know the brakes remain on when this problem occurs. Because if you are on the gas pedal you are limited to 2000 rpm so you crawl. And if you let up on the gas, the car does not coast at all...it immediately stops, because the brakes are still engaged. Its dangerous. The CRV is at the dealer again. Hopefully this time they will find the exact cause.

thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
As you mention it is an extremely dangerous condition when this happens, there will be an accident if it continues. I would be looking into your states lemon laws, if the next trip to the dealer doesn't result in properly operating vehicle. I would let Honda figure it out risking their employees safety, not you or your family's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey 13,

You are definitely right about how dangerous this random problem is. Car is at the dealer again now. When I get it back I feel like I become a human crash test dummy...not knowing if its fixed or not. Honda can not seem to know if they fixed the problem. Taking a test drive is nothing. Last time it was 20 days and a little over 300 miles before the problem happened again.

Yes, I'm looking into Lemon Law as that may end up being the only recourse. I wish Honda Corp would step up and see that this can not continue. Because one of these times an accident will happen instead of just bringing the car back for "fixing" every time it happens. Maybe this time will be different and it be fixed for good. I can say the servicing dealer understands the seriousness and is trying their best to find the source of the problem and correct it.

Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts