Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with our only car. 2014 Honda CRV EX AWD, 88K miles.

A few days ago, it started to hesitate on a stop light, then felt like no power, but it recovered and I was able to drive home. When I tried to use the car again a few hours later, it cranks, starts for 5 to 10 sec, then dies.

I've replaced the battery, even though it didn't need it. I've also replaced the entire fuel pump module in the gas tank, thinking it maybe worn out in 88K miles. I have gas in the gas tank.

I disconnected the fuel line at the injection rail, then turned the key on to prime the line. The fuel was coming out nicely.

I also checked the spark, and it's showing good spark at all cylinders.

The engine starts and runs very smoothly for 5 to 10 sec, then dies. Sometimes it may run for 15 sec.

Please give me some ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't checked the fuel pressure as I don't have a gauge. But I do hear the new pump working and the fuel stream at the fuel rail is much stronger with the new pump. I may have to order a pressure tester from Amazon to be sure.

If we assume that there is no fuel pressure problem, what types of electrical problem could it be? I am getting good spark.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relatable or not.. But I did get PO497 a few weeks ago, which I just cleared. Also, I've been getting "check fuel cap" message for the past 20K miles. I've changed to new OEM fuel cap, but the message still came on.

I have a "Purge valve" on order for PO497 code, but I'm not sure if this affects the starting of the engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would also like to add, this CRV has been extremely well maintained. I use synthetic oil every 5K miles. Spark plugs have been changed 10K miles ago, even though it wasn't needed. I use HONDA transmission oil and Antifreeze.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I finally figured it out.

This AM, I double checked everything.

1)Good fuel pressure
2)signal at injectors + good 12 volt power
3)Good spark at plugs
4)Good battery

When I cranked it over. The engine didn't even sputter. Seemed as if no fuel was going to the rails, even though it has good pressure.

I didn't want to do it, but I finally relented and drained my fuel tank. I recovered almost 5 gal of Water!! I live near Panama City Beach and must've got some bad gas after the hurricane.

The engine now runs, but a little rough. I put in brand new plugs, but still rough. PO108 MAP sensor code came up. The RPM is limited to 3000 before engine shakes- must be a rev limiter.

I've got a MAP sensor ordered and will go from there.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you have proof of it they reimburse you. That much water the gas station likely had many complaints about it so it shouldnt be too difficult if you have your receipt

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The CRV is in limp mode. It seems to have a rev limiter at 3000. Also, dash lights are on permanantly ( steering, tpms, traction control, CEL, AWD). I can't seem to erase these lights via OBDII or by disconnecting the battery. I'll have to go to the dealer as I think this is bigger problem than I can chew.

BTW, I went to the Texaco gas station that sold me this water/fuel to speak to the manager. He stated that this is the 1st time someone complained and said that there was not a process to recoup my repair costs. I asked, "do I have to go complain to Texaco?" He said that this is a private business. I said what do you mean? Don't you get GAS from Texaco? He said no, and that he get it from a generic company. He showed me the invoice, but did not allow me to take a photo. He said he will get fired. i was puzzled why he would get fired? All I can figure is that he is getting cheap gas from a ****ty company while advertising that they're selling Texaco gas with Tehchron. false advertising?

Anyway, I did complain to the State. We'll see what happens...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
Most gasoline in a given area comes from the same refineries.

The difference between brands is the additive packages that are added at the point of delivery.

If the station manager is selling gasoline without Texaco's extra-cost formula, yeah the station could be closed down (that's deceptive).

++++++++

That said,

A few years ago, one brand of gasoline near here had the wrong amount of additives introduced. The gasoline company paid for the towing and repairs, IIRC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I fixed all issues with this car today. It was the MAP sensor. This faulty sensor affected so many other sensors. From my research, many of these sensors share the "5 volt" wire, which is the lifeblood of the engine computer.

As soon as I replaced the MAP sensor, AWD light went out immediately. I then disconnected the battery to reset the computer. All other lights on the dash went out. I ran OBDII scanner and found "0" codes. Even the 3000rpm rev limit disappeared. While I was at it I even replaced the MAF sensor, instead of just cleaning it.

At test drive, I was shocked to see 30+mpg. When this car was new, I was averaging 27 to 28 mpg. Over the years, it dwindled down to 23 to 24mpg. MAP and MAF needs to functions correctly to get max mpg-- lesson learned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts