Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

First time posting here. Just replaced my wife's 2010 Nissan Rogue with a 2014 CRV ex AWD (I told her we are a Honda family home) Why AWD in Florida you ask? I tow a stand up jetski typically with my 05 Accord LX, and some of the boat ramps here are rather sandy. My Accord is rated at 200/2000lb tongue/towing while per the crv manual it says 1500lb towing with 10% of that for tongue weight. I was told that these numbers are very conservative and in Europe the numbers are double that.
I was looking at 2 different hitches:
The Curt class III Trailer Hitch Size:
2 Inch Hitch Opening
Towing Capacity:
350 Pound Tongue Weight
3500 Pound Towing
OR
Draw tite class III
Trailer Hitch Size:
2 Inch Hitch Opening
Towing Capacity:
525 Pound Tongue Weight
3500 Pound Towing
OR
Curt Class I
Trailer Hitch Size:
1-1/4 Inch Hitch Opening
Towing Capacity:
200 Pound Tongue Weight
2000 Pound Towing

Im having a hard time believing I can have 525lb tongue weight on the CRV.
Thanks!
Here is a pic of my friend using a Hitch Hauler with his supejet. This is what I would love to do if the car can support it

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only use the class I hitch on a crv. They only pull 2000 lbs or less. Only 200 lbs. tongue weight. The car not made for class II or III. To much stress on transmission.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I put the Class III on mine, but only because I use 2" attachments and follow the V's towing limits, not the hitch's. If you put class II or III, keep the limits to the 200/2000 lbs tongue/weight limits.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,919 Posts
I have a Class I hitch on mine since it can tow the max of the V. I have a hitch bike rack that I use to lug around me and my wife's mountain bikes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I lost my electric lift for my mobility scooter. Broke right off where the lift attaches to the hitch receiver.. Hitch and CRV is just fine. But the lift and scooter are gone!!! Replaced the lift with a small enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for these posts. I'm looking at hitches also and was confused. I will probably get the Class II from Draw-Tite. I will use it for my bike rack. I had a Class II hitch on my old car for the same bike rack, but traded it in for the CR-V. Now I need a new hitch.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tongue weight and tow capacity are set by the mfgr of the vehicle. The higher values referenced by the hitch mfgrs are great and attest to the quality of the product's design and build, but aren't of any practical use to the vehicle owner.

As mentioned in other threads, the Class-III 2" hitch doesn't sacrifice more than 3/4" of ground clearance, but opens up a world of additional accessory products that you can use with your CRV without resorting to adapters. For instance, I like using a cargo tray, and they typically are only equipped with 2" stingers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts