Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently finished remaking the sound system in my '14 EX-L. Originally, I just replaced the speakers (F&R), added 2 amps (that I already owned), and added/replaced the sub (again, w/ another I owned) - ran this thru the factory system with the help of an Audio Control LC-7i. My previous car ('08 Civic Si) had all the above plus a Kenwood KDC-995. The specific components are:
- Front & Rear doors now contain Focal Access 6.5" 2-Way components (utilized the tweeter location in the front doors)
- Sub is a JL 10" in a sealed cube (in the back - forward facing and reverse phase - this tightened up the bass significantly)
- Amps are: Alpine PDX 4.100 (main speakers) & a JL 250/1V2 (sub)

The sound was far, far better than the base "premium" system... however, I came to realize the limitations of the factory head/LC-7 combo as the mid-range and up on many songs became unbearable especially at higher volume levels... the spaciousness of a lot of what I listened to before in my Civic was now very harsh (even with the treble turned way, way down...).

I then decided to take the plunge and invest in a quality sound head unit and chose the Kenwood DDX 9902S. I have to say I am (once again) in musical heaven! The sound tuning one can do (ex. w/ the time delay) is fantastic with this head unit. The harshness and missing spaciousness was now back - and, even better than with the Civic... It was HUGE improvement in the sound. Moreover the center console is very simple and clean now - gone are the knobs and buttons of the factory head unit. Additionally, the Apple Car-Play integration is absolutely awesome! Just about anything you need from your iphone can be done through the unit - including maps... no more need for a gps (unless data is a concern). With Car-Play you can also utilize Siri to send texts, find food, gas etc, and make calls..

The only downside, and this has been brought up in other threads, is that the i-mid clock cannot be adjusted... I had an ADS Maestro RR i-data link installed to help with using the steering wheel controls and they are aware of this problem and working on a fix (the module can be updated).
IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0019.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Awesome to hear the good results! Eventually i would like to go with an aftermarket Pioneer or Kenwood unit like you have. I also had the Kenwood KDC-X995 in my 2006 Accord.

How is the ADS Maestro RR working out? Do all your steering wheel and backup camera functions work correctly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome to hear the good results! Eventually i would like to go with an aftermarket Pioneer or Kenwood unit like you have. I also had the Kenwood KDC-X995 in my 2006 Accord.

How is the ADS Maestro RR working out? Do all your steering wheel and backup camera functions work correctly?
It works well. Like I stated the i-mid clock cannot be adjusted but I read that they are working on a fix. Everything else works just fine including the phone controls on the steering wheel although using the iphone w/ siri makes things very easy.... Back up camera comes through the i-mid still. I'm pretty sure the 3 adjustments of the camera are still functional.

BTW - I know my installer was saying that the Pioneer double din units are not integrating as well as the Kenwoods... apparently still some issues like w/ android auto. The 9902 is a bit pricey but it has worked flawlessly and the sound adjusting you can do is worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh... just re-read my original post... meant to say that the harshness was GONE and the spaciousness of the music was drastically improved...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good for you. Looks like a great head unit and the rest of the kit sounds great. Glad you like the sound.
What do you think of Car Play? I have it on my Alpine iLX-007 and like it a lot...I wish they'd allow Google maps though...I find it better than imaps but it is useable.

Good luck and give us a review after you've lived with it for a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts