Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a very slightly used CRV EX-L to use as a Toad behind my Motor Home. It pulls just great, and except for one thing, I am totally impressed and satisfied with this car. The only thing that I am not pleased with, is the Navigation system. It is without doubt, the most difficult Navigation system that I have ever used. I've read the Novel size Navigation manual that came with the car, but it just confirms that the system is not user friendly. I updated the map, which was a waste of money, it still does not show addresses in my sub-division, which is now a couple of years old. The system itself is very awkward to use. If I ask it to find the nearest Wall Mart, or anything else, it will show locations that are on the other side of the country from me, thousands of miles away. Trying to use the voice command takes forever. You have to push the button for each command, and then must listen to the voice give you examples over and over again before you can finally get an address entered. Say state, listen to it give an example and show you a list, when you finally get that selected, then do it all over again for the city, more waiting, then do it all over again for the street.... yata, yata, wait some more, finally the address. The process take a very long time, and is very distracting. Both of my Fords just ask for the address, you say the whole thing and it give you a route. Takes maybe 15-20 sec., not 10 min. Has anyone found a replacement Navigation system that will work in this car?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Visit Crutchfield.com and use this option to find systems that will fit your CR-V:

They also sell wiring harnesses and faceplates so you can make it look like a factory installed system.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Haha it's almost kind of funny, almost I say. Like you, hate the navigation systems unfriendliness. But, I'm not spending upwards of 1k to get an aftermarket system, lose out on some functionality (i-mid, proprietary connectors, etc), just to have a more friendly destination search ability.

I too did the map update, last time for that mistake (also). 2 things I found as kind of 'work a rounds'.

1) And this isn't really the easiest one, but it's not terribly difficult to get the gps coordinates of a destination, and then enter them in the Nav system. That's probably the fastest way to get the very limited search ability to work quickly.

2) Just use your phones maps, and have the phone connected with BT to the Nav. That way, with google Assistant installed, I can just pick up the phone and say (something like) 'Navigate to the nearest Home Depot' and boom, with the Nav screen on showing street names etc, direction, it works quite well. The only thing really missing will be arrows pointing you for a turn, but the spoken directions coming over the speakers is certainly good enough, for me anyway.

I've looked into this quite a bit. The issue I have with Android Auto (even if it was available) is that you still have to use your phone. Yes you can use the mic rather than pick up the phone (I prefer 'hands free' also) for assistant help, but if phone is right next to you and you don't have to put it to your ear - speaker phone is on, well u get the idea. I read that in future versions of android auto the maps etc will be on the head unit, but no idea when / if that's coming.

So for me, using google assistant in conjunction with the maps on the Nav is the best solution. Hilarious really how bad the search ability is on these Nav units ;) Un freaking believable how frustrating they are.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts