Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying my gas usage is low in general because I do not drive my CRV everyday. I bought my CRV in Dec 2013 and have just filled the tank for the second time.

What I find is the throttle is extremely sensitive and the ECON button can really squeeze every drop of gas under the right conditions. For me the two biggest factors considering gas mileage are temperature and driving conditions. Colder temps result in lower mileage and driving in the city, hills or added weight from loads results in large variations in mileage.

Don't hate me because I live in N Cal where there has been almost no winter this year at all. Current temps have been in the low 70's and my garden has been going crazy.</grin>
My gas mileage has been better than it would be if the temperatures were normal.

My first tank of gas started out with less than satisfactory mileage but ended up not too bad after driving a few highway miles that resulted in 23.4 MPG. The problem with the first tank was the dealer talking for a really long time while the car was idling. When I left the dealership the MPG AVG display was 13 MPG and this had me concerned. Although the first tank is basically don't care because the dealer paid for the gas.

I'm finding there is a slight difference between the displayed AVG mileage and computing the mileage after filling up. The display showed 23.2 and 27.1, while I calculated 23.4 and 27.4 for the two fill ups. It seems the computer is conservative in determining AVG MPG.

What I really do like is I have my MPG AVG within my control more than ever before because of the precise throttle control. The MPG feedback is what seems to make a significant difference. The ECON colored bars are kind of weird but the instant MPG gauge makes it really easy for me to keep my foot off of the gas. I turn ECON on and off as needed and I find this really helps me with the throttle control.

I'm looking forward to even better mileage after my V has broken in.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend you drive your car more often for the first 1k miles. It will break it in better that way. I'll bet you're only making short trips in it and it's not getting up to full temp, ie all fluids aren't up to full op temp. Today's engines are manufactured to such tight tolerances that the only real break in is the seating of the rings, and short trips aren't going to do that very well, IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I'd recommend you drive your car more often for the first 1k miles. It will break it in better that way. I'll bet you're only making short trips in it and it's not getting up to full temp, ie all fluids aren't up to full op temp.
Thanks for the feedback, I do understand and agree. My trips have been more than 20 to 30 minutes each and often on the freeway. I always make sure the engine and trans are fully up to operating temp.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You'll be OK then if that is the case.
I used to work on a vineyard up in Mendocino County a long time ago.
Sure miss Hwy 128 between 101 and the coast. Great road.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
My 2014 has right around 800 miles on her and my mixed driving has me averaging 25 mpg like clockwork.
Whether this is good or bad, I'm not sure. But I'm coming from an Acura ZDX that drank premium and returned 18 MPG average so I'm thrilled!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gas mileage will improve after about 4-8k miles. Yours sounds great for being new. Our '13 avgs around 24-26 with mixed driving. The last road trip we avg. 30 which is much better than our 04.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.