Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is very disappointing
we just had the vtc actuator tsb done on this car 3 weeks ago, now a new cold start noise is occurring.
Got a call into honda for drop off this Thursday night so it can sit in the cold over night so it will repeat it in the morning for them.
WTF..
https://vimeo.com/247987077

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow what a coincidence, my 2014 has the cold start rattle and I intend to have it looked into at some point. Yesterday morning I started the V and it made the exact same noise as in your video. That was the first time I had heard anything other than the rattle. I turned it off stated it again and it made the same noise. Turned it off and started for the 3rd time and no noise whatsoever.

I am glad you posted this as I was wondering if I had another issue. Seems that both noises are associated with the VTC. At least the rattle usually disappears the first start, any consecutive starts the rattle is gone.

I bought my CRV , CPO about 2months ago.

Is your CRV Kona coffee?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, strange. I'm glad that i'm not the only one. As my video shows it appears the noise is associated with a cold start. since it did it when i repeated the cold start right away. Ours is black (YUCK, but its my wifes so whatever) This is very frustrating and from what i'm reading it doesn't appear there is a fix for this noise on these, with many reports being that even after their vtc tsb being done the noise returns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2014. I have heard the noise a couple of times. Then it was due for a oil change so I took to the dealer and had oil changed. I have not heard it since and it has been near zero here. Does the noise shorten the life of the engine, or more of a annoyance?

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
305 Posts
I have a 2014. I have heard the noise a couple of times. Then it was due for a oil change so I took to the dealer and had oil changed. I have not heard it since and it has been near zero here. Does the noise shorten the life of the engine, or more of a annoyance?
Don't be afraid, the life of the engine will not be affected. A few years ago I send the oil sample to the lab and result was excellent without any traces of the additional engine wear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its baaaacckk.. noise is again back after they replaced the vct actuator again. I'm get it if honda doesn't have a fix but i want my dealer to tell me that and to have it documented that there is no fix and that honda states no damaged will be caused by this. unacceptable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
With my research on this topic 2 years ago this noise will not hurt the engine. I rather learn to deal with this noise rather than throw parts at the problem that will not fix it. Lots of cases here that dealer put new parts in and the engine still has the cold start rattle.

I have a 2012 CRV that I purchased new. I get this noise only when I go snowboarding in my local mountains. I learned to deal with the start up noise once or twice a year.

No big deal for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the same boat here. 2014 CRV with both the usual grind and that squeal eliteconcept has shown in the video above. My dealer was able to reproduce the grind last winter when the vehicle was left overnight. The VTC was changed but the grind continued.

After many attempts to reproduce the sound again they were able to hear it this winter. It took a bit of a fight but they finally replaced it for a second time, also under warranty. Even after the second replacement the grind is still happening.

For the squeal they have attempted to fix it by replacing both my starter motor and just a few weeks ago the serpentine belt. No luck here as I just heard it this morning. I sent a message to Honda Canada yesterday documenting all of the repairs and expressing my frustration with this issue. It seems my dealer has pretty much given up on trying to help me at this point.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I get this noise only when I go snowboarding in my local mountains. I learned to deal with the start up noise once or twice a year. No big deal for me.

A different story for those of us who have to endure that sound every day for several months a year....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Last week when I had the CR-V in for other items (dead backup camera & leaking drivers side transaxle seal), I mentioned the rattle. The service advisor commented that they 'all do that', and no fix so far works. Yesterday they called to schedule an appt (above parts are in), and I asked specifically about TSB 16-012. The guy swears it doesn't exist, or he just can't see it / pull it up. I told him I'd print it and leave it on the dash.

I read thru it, and it's rather invasive. I like my cam lobes smooth and polished (!), and wonder just how careful the team is when handling and replacing the VTC actuator / intake side sprocket. Wrenches and benches and dirt and winter schmutz, Oh My!

And then you read about the people who end up either with no improvement, or trading one problem for another. I'm just not sure whether to push it, or withdraw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello I was wondering if this issue is also affecting the 5th Gen CR-V 2017+ LX/Base also with the same 2.4 liter i-VTEC Engine (K24W9) since this engine is also a carryover engine and transmission for that model also? I wonder if this rattle is only noticeable on idle or anyone can explain more details? I think I might have noticed this rattle while it was really cold in the low twenties which I know is really cold. I am thinking that is still what is being felt and is causing this motor to feel and experience a strange vibration at idle at around 500-600rpm. I am hoping this VTC actuator issue is not contributing also to the mysterious engine rattling/vibration and hopefully will not going to cause any long term wear or damage to the engine. I am hoping that a TSB and more research will soon address this issue ASAP. I am also suprised that this issue still exists up to today and was noticed Pre-Earth Dreams and even after the release of Honda’s Earth Dreams family of engines since it was a major refresh with new friction reduction technologies and direct injection are just a few examples. This Earth Dreams family of the K24W Earth Dreams Engine has been in use all the way back to 2012 since the introduction of the 9th Gen Accord which is suprisingly long to still not a improvement/resolution.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,062 Posts
Alan 3885, anything you experienced is unrelated to the VTC actuator. First the VTC rattle occurs when starting a cold the engine in the morning and last for a sec or two. Once oil pressure is established rattle is gone. Since it takes several hours for the oil to drain from the VTC and the engine is warm you don't experience again until the next morning. The 2.4 engine in the 2017 LX is the same as the 2016. To my knowledge the VTC rattle doesn't occur in these engines. However there was a vibration issue with the 2015 unrelated to the VTC due to a change in the geometry of the cylinders with respect to the crank shaft. Honda provided fixes in the 2015's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey so Traylaw I was just wondering and thinking about this “Honda Techline Engine Rattles at Startup article” since it was released all the way back in November 2016? Hello Honda its now 2018 do we have any resolution or update for our affected vehicles? I was just wondering has anyone personally experienced this rattle issue and if so can anyone please provide some details on there experience with this potential issue or what maybe be causing this? Again I am also curious to know if the Engine Rattle at Startup issue contributes to the Engine Vibration at Idle that was a big issue that was suspose to be resolved with the 2015 CR-V contributes to the minor engine vibration when at idle because my 2016 has it only while in drive. Honda dealership says it’s normal vibration but it’s definitely noticeable and felt at 500-600rpm with both a/c on or off. The states in the Honda Techline Summary this Engine Rattle at Startup release in November 2016 affects all of the K24WX and K24VX family engines in the 2013-16 Accord/2015-2016 CR-V (ex: K24W1/Accord and K24W9/CR-V)? I wonder why since the 2017+ CR-V LX/Base with the carryover engine is not listed as affected? I just hope and wonder how much longer we will have to wait for another update from Honda and how much longer? We can all now hope there will be no long term damage will be caused in the future related to both of these issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FWIW, this is a widespread problem with the 2015-later naturally aspirated 1.5L in the Honda Fit. I lived with it for almost 3 years then had the dealer do the TSB. The noise went away. I also had them do the door handle recall then so they gave me a new Honda CR-V LX for the 5 days they had the Fit. That's why I'm here. :)

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,062 Posts
Alan3885, The issues "VTC Rattle" and "Engine Vibration" are completely unrelated. Honda has a fix for engine vibration for the 2015's see TSB 15-046 for details. But the 2016's seem to have a similar "mode 1" vibration as the 2015's at 600 rpm, Honda has not addressed the 2016 issue and may never. As for the 2017's with the 2.4l engines, there has been no mention on this forum about a vibration. While the 2017 LX and 2016 share the same engine the structure of the body/chassis and engine mounts are completely different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I hope in the future they can still figure out and make improvements to somehow address this small but noticeable vibration at idle by making either by making a stronger or revised engine mount for the 2015/2016 models via another TSB in the future if that’s the case to again try and counter the vibration being felt at 500-700 rpm while at idle. One other thing it’s been very cold low twenties here in Dallas, TX and when I start they engine revs and starts pretty high at 2,100 RPM without touching anything after push the start/stop button and initially the car engine/radiator has a weird high pirch ticking like sound and it maybe coming from behind the grille? Well I hope everything is ok and nothing wrong with the engine but it only happens when sitting out in the cold for a while too. Plus I always let the car warm up even though most don’t think it’s necessary with modern engines but I still do warm up for a few minutes also. Anyone else had any similar experiences?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Once I had the oil changed at the dealer I have not heard it since? We have had 0f to -10F here. I also heard a rumor that keeping the oil level at the full mark reduces the chatter at start up also?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts