Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2014 CRV she bought new and she keeps having issues with her low beams burning out. She lives 8 hours away so I can not run and check to see what the problem is. She says she is careful to not touch the bulbs when installing them and wears medical gloves so she says she is certain she is not transferring oils to the bulbs. She said first the driver side goes and then the passenger. high beams and amber lights are working. Any ideas. her car has low miles around 60,000 miles. this is at least the 3rd set she has gone thru. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
2,541 Posts
Cotton gloves. good bulb as in a Company we trust.. and if the wiring is not shorted... IMHO just my thoughts out loud

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she has used both sylvania and phillips. she is using medical gloves and paper towels she is positive she is not touching the bulbs. seems if the wires were shorted she would be blowing a fuse. I suppose it is possible but unlikely. Car is garaged and well cared for.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Sounds like she is doing everything right. Has she tried buying the bulbs from a Honda dealer? Also, many bulbs advertised as "brighter" have a 2 to 3 year life expectancy. I have replaced a set more than once in my daughters Sentra, and they ("Sylvania Silverstar") were bought over the counter at WalMart...

·
Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
2,541 Posts
Are they burning out as soon as she turns or, or a short ride. Bulbs used INHO are Fine no need for GH Honda ones.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
310 Posts
If she is buying those "high output" ones 120%-130% brighter type bulbs. They typically last 1 year. I've tried Osram, Sylvania, Philips, PIAA, even some odd ball ones on ebay back when I had my 08 CRV. Eventually gave up and went back to regular halogen bulb that lasts forever.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,008 Posts
Years ago, Osrams were the most reliable bulb.

Another factor might be the age of the battery...a weak battery has been proven to 'spike' the circuit when one bulb burns out, reducing the life of the other side.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
they are burning out in 3 or 4 months.
3rd set in 60,000 miles sounds like they are lasting more than 3 or 4 months.

When did they start burning out every 3 or 4 months? Has she had any body work or electrical work? Battery replaced? Grasping at straws here,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no work of any kind. I bought the car new and oem battery was replaced at local honda dealership in Boise a year or so ago. It would be easier if she was not 8 hours away but it is what it is.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
no work of any kind. I bought the car new and oem battery was replaced at local honda dealership in Boise a year or so ago. It would be easier if she was not 8 hours away but it is what it is.
The more details, the better we are able to come up with ideas to help.

I totally understand. For awhile, our daughter was 2,500 miles away, and calling me for car help!

I am out of ideas...we have a huge group of helpful folks here...
Hopefully someone will drop in and offer some more suggestions.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
310 Posts
Check to see if the bulb socket has any burned marks, melting or corrosion. Socket should be nice and tight and not loose causing arcing.
Also put some dielectric grease on the prongs before inserting to the sockets, BUT make sure not to touch any part of the glass bulb.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
It is the amount of hours (time) the bulbs are actually ON, not the number of miles driven or amount of time the bulbs are in the socket. Low beams are on a LOT more than high beams. It's all about time ON.
Have her put in a set of 'basic' Sylvania bulbs and they should last for years, but they are NOT as bright..
I believe the OEM bulbs are 'basic'.
She is using the 'bright' halogen bulbs and they don't last very many hours. The brighter they are the shorter time they last, in general. Xenon filament bulbs last longer than halogen bulbs, in general but still not anywhere as long as the OEM standard halogen bulb.
Number of hours ON is what matters. So, many are willing to spend the $40+ for new bulbs often because they offer better visibility and increase safety for them.
Some of the LED headlight bulbs have good reviews and they last a long time. Beware, and do research before installing them. Good ones are fairly expensive BUT they have a long service life.
It is also said that driving on rough roads can also shorten the lifespan of filament headlight bulbs.
Buffalo4
PS: Any filament bulb will have it's life shortened by high voltage, either steady or spikes. Low voltage extends the life of a filament bulb but it produces less light output.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
It is the amount of hours (time) the bulbs are actually ON, not the number of miles driven or amount of time the bulbs are in the socket. Low beams are on a LOT more than high beams. It's all about time ON.
Have her put in a set of 'basic' Sylvania bulbs and they should last for years, but they are NOT as bright..
I believe the OEM bulbs are 'basic'.
She is using the 'bright' halogen bulbs and they don't last very many hours. The brighter they are the shorter time they last.
Number of hours ON is what matters. So, many are willing to spend the $40+ for new bulbs often because they offer better visibility and increase safety for them.
Some of the LED headlight bulbs have good reviews and they last a long time. Beware, and do research before installing them. Good ones are fairly expensive BUT they have a long service life.
It is also said that driving on rough roads can also shorten the lifespan of filament headlight bulbs.
Buffalo4
PS: Any filament bulb will have it's life shortened by high voltage, either steady or spikes. Low voltage extends the life of a filament bulb but it produces less light output.
Excellent input, Buffalo4, thank you! Hopefully this helps jadmt help the daughter.

I'm still confused by the comment jadmt made about this being "at least the 3rd set in 60,000 miles", then saying they burn out in 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent input, Buffalo4, thank you! Hopefully this helps jadmt help the daughter.

I'm still confused by the comment jadmt made about this being "at least the 3rd set in 60,000 miles", then saying they burn out in 3 or 4 months.
the car has 60,000 miles she has put on every one of those miles. in the last year she has put in 3 sets..basic sylvania and phillips one of those sets she bought at larry miller in boise. prior to the last 3 sets I am not sure how many she put it but I know in the last year she told me 3 sets and the car has 60,000 miles. I don't think the low beams are DRL's.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,013 Posts
The DRLs use the high beam. As mentioned previously the type of bulb matters. Sylvania Silver Star bulbs have a 100 hr life span, while a standard halogen bulb has around 1000 hrs. but have a yellow cast to its light. So if she drives a lot at night the whiter/brighter bulbs from any company are not a great choice.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
561 Posts
is the amount of hours (time) the bulbs are actually ON, not the number of miles driven
I busted through a set of bulbs in only a few months too. When I wondered why, it occurred to me that I was driving a lot, and because of the auto-off headlights in that car, I had my lights switched on pretty much all the time.

When I made a point of having them off when I didn't need them, they lasted way longer.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The DRLs use the high beam. As mentioned previously the type of bulb matters. Sylvania Silver Star bulbs have a 100 hr life span, while a standard halogen bulb has around 1000 hrs. but have a yellow cast to its light. So if she drives a lot at night the whiter/brighter bulbs from any company are not a great choice.
If the DRLs do use the high beam, they most likely supply a lower voltage to them during daylight hours which gives those filaments a much longer life than if they were at full voltage. I don't have DRLs on my '03 Ody. :)
I have heard that the whiter the light, the better the visibility is at night, except during fog and snow. Yellow is better then.
Is that not true, Traylaw?
Silverstar Ultras have a projected life of approx 250 hrs while the Silverstar XtraVision has a projected life of 850 hrs while a 'basic' Slyvania 9003 bulb (very close to an OEM) has a projected lifespan of a LOT more.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,008 Posts
I'd rather talk about 'What Oil To Use' than 'The Best Illumination Color'. 😊

1 - 20 of 38 Posts