Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my wife found that her 2014 LX wouldn't start, seems like the battery had died after our daughter left a door open overnight in the garage. AAA checked it out, said the battery was okay (it's about 2 years old), and jumped it.

We've been able to drive it fine since then, but it isn't starting easily. The dashboard indicators all flash and the car sort of struggles to turn over before starting. Does this indicate that a new battery is actually needed or that something like the alternator might be the real problem?

It would seem to me that it would be a weird coincidence that there was another issue that didn't show up until the battery drain, but I don't know enough to rule that out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good question. My wife handled it with AAA while I was at work so I don't know if it was fully recharged.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
That’s definitely an indication of a bad battery. A battery can test good busy actually be bad. I would try an make sure it is fully charged first. However, if it is and you continue to have this issue I would replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
AAA only starts the car, they don’t charge it.

These batteries don’t last long, and once it dies the end is near.

·
Registered
7 Posts
AAA only starts the car, they don’t charge it.

These batteries don’t last long, and once it dies the end is near.
I agree with ondarvr. I needed to change the battery after 30k miles (1 and half years). It was obvious since after charging the battery using external charger did help only for couple of starts.

What causes the battery problems? Dunno. Can be a sum of wrong battery (not for start/stop systems) and start-stop system usage, cold weather, cheap battery or something completely else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda OEM battery lasted until this summer, 2019, on a 2014. AAA brought a great battery for $150. Hopefully it lasts longer than a couple of years here in NE. Sounds as though a diagnostic tool may help you. About $ 40 on Amazon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Once a conventional flooded cell battery is super deep discharged, it rarely ever comes back to it's full CCA / Reserve Capacity. It's forever diminished.

From your dash light and starting issues comments it sounds like the base voltage level is crashing when under heavy load. Time for a new battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
once I know that I've done something that will affect the battery (like leave map lights on overnight in my cold climate canada) I dont even bother charging , test etc.. I'll just get a new battery and sleep well again knowing my wife , or myself wont get stranded somewhere .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts