Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda dealer found DTC 151-11 and wants to update the VSA modulator-control unit software based on TSB 14-006. I've seen a few posts on this in the thread. However, because the code posted only now, they won't cover the update under warranty and want $140 for labor to do this. Is this reasonable? It didn't develop because of mechanical wear; it was a known software bug in 2014 prior to when I bought the car certified pre-owned. It seems absurd that they won't cover this.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
Call another dealer n see if its covered
If they also try to charge you call honda.

tsb’s arent recalls so dealers arent going to run through every possible tsb for a car before they sell it.
It just directs the tech line and honda to service quicker for common issues

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Did you look up "TSB 14-006" on Google? It took me 10 seconds and after reading the actual TSB, it says the time to do it is 0.4 hour, or 24 minutes. Does $140 sound reasonable for 24 minutes?

Perhaps they have a minimum bill requirement of 2 hours at a rate of $70 per hour. $70/hr is reasonable, but charging you 2 hours for ~30 minutes of work is not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I know my way around search engines and already have the TSB with the labor time listed. My question is not is $140 "too much", but is it reasonable to have to pay for this at all.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Sorry about the tone. I came back to edit it for that reason but I was too late.

Yes, it is reasonable for them to charge for it. "Certified pre-owned" doesn't mean they actually see if every TSB has been handled. (Heck, they probably sell CPO cars that still have open recalls.) I am of the opinion that CPO means only that they can charge more for it because they know that people think it has been checked out and therefore may be a better value. If they say they look at 100 (or 200 or however many hundred) items on a "CPO checklist", they likely don't do anything more than look at those 100 items from a few feet away.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,185 Posts
Check another dealer, the dealer I use charges around $30 for a software update. Also it's not a software bug. The vast majority of 2014s never have a need to get the update. They are really reducing the sensitivity to trigger the TPMS light. Note that some people who get the update still have the issue and the issue dissappears when they replace tires.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Moving to Gen 4 Section.

·
Registered
283 Posts
TSB's aren't recalls, and most can't be billed back to Honda if the vehicle is outside of the normal or extended warranty.

The Honda dealer near me has a $120 / per hour shop rate, last time I was there. An hour is there minimum charge for even talking to you.

But, it never hurts to try calling Honda Customer Care and opening a file. Being CPO they might just subsidize or absorb the charge.

Reactions: marty1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts