Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2014 CRV AWD EX-L last month and within a week had problems with the TPM system. After multiple trips back to the dealership to check pressure, reset light etc I was promised that they would replace the system if it happens again. The light was back on before I returned home. I called the dealer to tell them the light was back on and please order the part as I'd be in again on Monday to get it fixed. Monday am I showed up and was told that it is a "Honda programming problem"- they know about it and there is nothing they (dealership) can do about it. I contacted Honda and was told there is no known problem and it's the dealerships problem.

At this juncture I hate the car and drive it as little as possible, relying instead on my 1998 CRV for transportation. I will own up to the fact that I'm overly sensitive to this light as I had it in my previous vehicle (Toyota) and when I ignored it had a blow out on the freeway. Luckily that car had a good stability system and no one was hurt. I don't trust the 2014 CRV to respond as well.

I don't know what to do at this point. The dealer won't take the car back and Honda doesn't seem interested in fixing it. To say I'm disappointed in the car is an understatement. This is my 3rd (and last) CRV. I bought the Honda over the Subaru as I thought Hondas were good, reliable cars. Clearly they've gone downhill. Interestingly enough a friend of mine also bought a 2014 CRV a a week after me and is having the same problem (different dealership).

Anyone else having this problem? Thoughts on how to proceed?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your new car.
I'd join forces with your friend (ie get all their info as far as VIN etc.) and go back to Honda showing it is not just an isolated problem for your car. If they say it's a dealer problem, ask them to please instruct the dealer on how to fix it since they haven't been able to help you up to now.
As for relying on a monitoring system to keep track of something as important as your tires, well to each his own I say. I'll never trust a system to let me know my tires need attention. It's too easy just to look at the tires and/or check them myself. After all, it's my life and those of my loved ones riding with me that depend on them. (Sorry if this sounds harsh, I call it taking responsibility for my car)
If you're intent on relying on the TPM to keep track of your tires you're missing out on driving a great vehicle IMHO.

I wonder if they've set the boundaries of the TPM system too tightly and the AWD system causes it to be set off.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I feel exactly as 20CRVEX13 that the buck stops at me for tire pressure responsibility. I use the monitoring system to check the tire pressure while I'm driving, that's all I rely on it for.
All cars can have a problem, even when new. Cars are so complicated now I can't believe they don't have more problems. Having said that it is a total pi$$ off to have a new car with a problem. The way that you have been treated at that dealer and by Honda is atrocious and suicidal for a business in any market, let alone present day.
Having been on this forum for some time I will say this is the first 2014 I have heard of with the problem. I can also say and have said before that many people have expressed that Honda just drops the ball. I think that some of the problem is the customer getting mad, instead of getting even.
Thoughts on how to proceed? As mentioned. Did your friends dealer repair (take ownership) of the problem? Go to that or any other dealer.
Ask your dealer to show you the memo from Honda (TSB tech service bulletin) saying that there is a programing problem. If they can, refer Honda HQ to the TSB#.
If they can't, ask them to make good on their original promise (the whole system).
In my opinion it is the ECU that is not programed correctly in this case, but we will see, I hope.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I feel for you, PDX Janet. Bad enough to have problems with a brand new vehicle, but to have your dealer tell you they can't fix it is not acceptable.

Call Honda and ask for a supervisor.

2014 TPMS system the same as 2007 - 2013? Anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your posts. I agree that monitoring tire pressure (as well as oil/other fluids) is the responsibility of the driver. I think the trend is to rely solely on technology for basic safety/maintainance issues and I'm not ready to do that. I appreciate your suggestions and will team up with my friend (she takes her car in next Sat- it will be interesting to hear what they tell her) to get it fixed. In the meantime I will ask the dealer about the TSB.....what does ECU stand for?

re: 2007-2013 TPM system...I've heard the 2014's moved to a different system...

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
437 Posts
As HondaPartsGuru stated, the 2014 uses a system like the new Accord. It uses the ABS sensors to measure the rotational difference between wheels. If a tire is low it will rotate at a faster speed than one with correct pressure. This is just my .02 but you could try this, most of the time if the car is unloaded the front tires carry more weight and that could cause a difference between the front and back tires. You could try running the front tires 1 or 2 psi more than the back and see what that does. Again just a thought.

I found this site that shows how to calibrate the system after changing pressure or rotating the tires
http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2014/Accord-Coupe/features/Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-(TPMS)/4

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are you getting the (!) light or the TPMS light? Those are two different things. I know my mothers RAV4 (2004) uses this system that Honda is using for 2014 It helps with winter tire changeover. Except there is no TPMS on the RAV4 just a (!) low pressure light.

These system are famous for false readings, the reason is speed sensor in each wheel. If one wheel is on uneven ground or a tread on tire is just barely different then the other it will trigger the light. I should know I had to deal with this problem many times.

If you are getting the (!) light I would do this:

When the light comes on again.
1. Park on a flat road with e-brake on. It does not matter if your in Drive or Park. Keep your foot on the brake.
2. Push and hold the (!) until the light goes off.
3. Shift into park if you were not in park. Leave the e-brake engaged. Release your foot from the brake so your CRV is in park with the handbrake engaged.
4. Push and hold the (!) again until the light (!) starts blinking
5. If the light (!) blinks more then 3 times, push the (!) button once to turn it off.

If you push and hold the (!) to turn off the light and do not do step 4, the light will illuminate within a few minutes. I assume that is what your dealer was doing, just resetting and not re calibrating.

System is now calibrated to the new settings, ensure you really don't have a tire problem. My moms rav4 tire blew out and no light came on until I put on a spare.. same tire to except it was new. The RAV4 system does NOT check tire pressure < 25 MPH and >52 MPH. so that is something interesting.

Where are you located? Try a different Honda,
I used http://www.dealerrater.com/ to look at dealers around the area to see who is participates, accepts criticism and responds back to people. See if you can find a Honda dealer in your area.

If you get the TPMS light instead that means something is WRONG with the system and should be fixed under warranty. If they refuse to fix the TPMS system, then call Honda corporate tell them they refuse to fix something under warranty.

This system is mixed because
1. you do not have to spend $50+ dollars to have dealers reprogram the system for winter tire set
2. If the battery dies you do not have to spend $80 to replace a sensor. Or 4 if one is going, the other 3 might as well be replace and reprogrammed. $80 x 4 = $320 ouch...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
^^ Grafarian. Read it twice and still confused. Am I the only one??
I read it a few times and I got it on the third. It is very difficult to get a point across on a forum when trying to write brief messages so as not to bore or further confuse. The more you write the more likely it will be misinterpreted. I found what Grafarian wrote to be quit enlightening. Thanks, fixer.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In the meantime I will ask the dealer about the TSB.....what does ECU stand for?

re: 2007-2013 TPM system...I've heard the 2014's moved to a different system...

Thanks again for your help!
As far as I know the 2014 system, it works like this. There are speed sensors on each wheel. That information goes to a receiver and is then sent to the ECU ("engine control unit" is basically a computer that downloads info from the car and uploads commands back to various systems in the car to allow it to react on it's own to mitigate situations that are not within the parameters of it's software program.) The ECU compares the data sent from the TPM receiver with the data stored in it's software. If a tire goes soft it will have a smaller diameter and have to rotate faster to keep up to the other three. I imagine this must have a time factor of say 10 minutes of higher speed to allow for making corners and slipping in snow etc. When the ECU software parameters have been exceeded it sends the (!) alarm. The ECU also monitors the TMPSystem, and when it detects a problem in the system, it sends the (TPMS) alarm. The same speed sensors are monitoring for the ABS (anti lock brake) and the VSA/TSA (vehicle and trailer stability assist.) So we can be sure that it is a complicated and possibly difficult system to calibrate and program.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
For what it's worth, I think Honda tried to get a little too fancy with these systems (ABS, TPMS, VSA/TSA) and what we're witnessing is the 1% of vehicles that won't fall within the parameters of system operation.
How closely do you have to keep tire pressures all the same all the time?
How often does the system 'look' at the data it is being supplied with from the sensors?
What kinds of road surfaces are you driving on (dry, wet, dirt, slippery)?

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying they haven't applied it to 'real' world circumstances as well as they could have. I imagine a lot of this technology is derived from their racing department. Only problem is the 'real' world we all drive in is a lot more variable than a race track environment.

I'd be interested in knowing if the dealer checked the tire inflation when they reset the light PDX Janet. It doesn't sound as if they took the time to recal the system.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Personally I wish cars didn't even have TPMS. What happened to the old fashion way of just checking tire pressure yourself. I still do and won't rely on that system. Rather not have it at all as that would be one less thing that can break down.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
^^^^^ I'm with you on this one too. Plus, you don't get charged for a TPMS kit when you put new tires on either (not sure if this applies to CR-V's but it did to my '11 Accord when I recently put tires on it.)

I think it's all an effort of the manufacturers trying to make the cars even more of an appliance than they are already for most people.

·
Registered
237 Posts
^^^^^ I'm with you on this one too. Plus, you don't get charged for a TPMS kit when you put new tires on either (not sure if this applies to CR-V's but it did to my '11 Accord when I recently put tires on it.)

I think it's all an effort of the manufacturers trying to make the cars even more of an appliance than they are already for most people.
Tpms was mandated by the US government after the whole Firestore/Ford fiasco years ago. The vehicle manufacturers are not willing participants. They are forced to have a tpms system in place on certain classes of vehicles.

Sucks for us up here in Canada where it is not required since we get stuck dealing with it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
^^^^ I didn't know this. Thanks for educating me on it. So I guess we can thank Firestone for all this and Ford too.
Or was it those owners that caused/had the problems from not monitoring their tire pressures properly?

·
Registered
237 Posts
^^^^ I didn't know this. Thanks for educating me on it. So I guess we can thank Firestone for all this and Ford too.
Or was it those owners that caused/had the problems from not monitoring their tire pressures properly?
The main issue was a certain model of Firestone tire installed on Ford trucks was prone to blowouts causing rollovers. Ford and Firestone blamed each other. Google Ford Firestone fiasco. That should net you a years worth of reading.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Wasn't aware either of that being the reason for this lovely system.

1 - 20 of 476 Posts