Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

441 - 460 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well knock on wood, I've driven about 100 miles and the TPMS light has not re-illuminated. My '14 V requires tire press of 30 psi all around. Don't know why the dealership I bought the car from had inflated the tires to 38.
Because we tow our CR-V behind a motorhome, it already had valve-stem TPMS sensors for the system that monitors the motorhome and towed vehicle tire pressures. I purchased an extra monitor that is now mounted in the CR-V. Now I finally have a TPMS in the CR-V that provides ACTUAL tire pressures for each wheel.

·
Registered
716 Posts
We also tow our vehicle behind a motorhome. We had an Equinox for 2 weeks while our CR-V was being repaired after an accident. Couldn't wait to get the CR-V back; hated the Equinox. Poor acceleration with the 4 cylinder; poor handling and turning. You can enjoy driving the CR-V, that feeling was lacking in the Equinox.
The 6 cylinder Equinox is quite a performer, never drove the 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2014 2wd with the same issue. The indicator light keeps coming on randomly. I had to replace a tire because of a blowout and it happens regularly now. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the system but all 4 tires and spare all have the same pressure.
I am going to re-calibrate the system myself and see if it does any good.
thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
I also have a 2014 2wd with the same issue. The indicator light keeps coming on randomly. I had to replace a tire because of a blowout and it happens regularly now. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the system but all 4 tires and spare all have the same pressure.
I am going to re-calibrate the system myself and see if it does any good.
thanks
The spare tire has nothing to do with TPMS. But don't forget the spare should have about twice the air pressure. Check it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What's old is new again! My '99 Regal had a tire pressure monitoring system that utilized the ABS wheel speed sensors to passively detect a low tire by looking for a difference in rotational speed. GM actually had that system over 20 years ago. For a while, that method was falling out of favor for direct tire pressure monitoring using individual sensors in each wheel. Now, manufacturers seems to be reverting back to the ABS-based system - at least on lower-cost vehicles.

One of the disadvantages of the indirect, ABS-based method is it can't detect a problem if all four tires are underinflated at the same time since they'll all still be rotating at the same speed. It's nice to see individual pressures from inside the vehicle - and the direct system can alert you to a problem faster. However, it's also nice to not have to worry about replacing expensive sensors due to dead batteries every several years for those who keep their vehicles long term.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife's 2015 CR-V EX has an intermittent TPMS light issue. I wonder if the 2014 Service Bulletin was not applied to the 2015 cars. We haven't brought the car to the dealer yet.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I'm surprised to see this is still a problem for some. I had the TSB firmware update done about maybe 2 years ago and have not had any problems since.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm surprised to see this is still a problem for some. I had the TSB firmware update done about maybe 2 years ago and have not had any problems since.
I'm not sure that we may have a slow leak in one or more tires. Yesterday I had the state safety inspection performed and had them check the tire pressures. The left rear tire only had 25 lbs. and I reset the TPMS system. If the light illuminates again I asked my wife not to reset the light until she checks the tire pressure. Interestingly, a friend of ours was at their Honda dealer having their TPMS checked due to intermittent TPMS warnings on their 2015 CR-V. I'm asking if other 2015 or 2016 CR-V owners are experiencing the same symptoms.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dagnabbit

Recently traded up to a new 2016 CR-V Touring. I'm just over 3,000 miles. This just happened.

3000-mile-surprise.jpg

Got it fixed. Pressure set to match on all 4 tires. Recalibrated TPMS. Will shout back if I get the error.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the TSB 14-006 fix the TPMS issue for all 2014 CRVs?

I'm on the verge of buying a 2014 CPO LX and I want to make sure that I don't have the TPMS issue. Is there a way to figure it out before the purchase?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Last time I had a flat the TMPS light never came on. I called my Honda service department and they agreed to do the 14-006 Dec 14 update. The update states needed for all road conditions. I had previously had a prior version of 14-006 done. Time will tell. I'm assuming its all fixed now. At least the TMPS light is not randomly coming on.

11/2/16 It's been a month since the update. During this time I had another flat (nail). TMPS light came on as it should. Allowed me enough time to get off to the side of the road before fully flat. I had tire plugged by AAA. Recalibrated TMPS and it has worked as it should. I think it's all good now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Old story here. 2011 CRV-AWD with about 80,000 miles. TPMS system light goes on after 10-15 miles of highway driving over 60mph. This has been the case since new.
It also seems to go on when passing a complex radio/cellular transmission tower, or airports.
It seems worse in the summer--when, of course, tires will expand more at high speeds than in the winter.
My Honda dealer has been fair--they replaced the sensor unit at their cost. No change.
I have two distinct sets of wheel sensors--because I have two sets of rims and tires--summer and winter. No difference.

Now, here's my question. Some say that when the TPMS system trouble warning is lit, the traction control will not turn off.
Others say that when that light is on, the traction control will not turn on. Since winter driving can be icy, this is a serious concern. So which is it? And, is the problem caused by increasing tire pressure, nearby RF interference breaching the system, or both?
Thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
^^

This does not really belong here, since this is a thread about 2014's, which have a different system. Maybe you should start a new thread on this.

However, V65Magnafan:

High pressures will not cause TPMS errors. Pressure problems of any kind will not cause TPMS errors at all. Low tire pressure will light the other indicator. I suspect RF interference of some kind. Do you have any accessories plugged in? Phone chargers?

In my case, if I have my GPS plugged in, never a problem. If I have my Dash Cam plugged in, never a problem. But, if I have both plugged in, I do get TPMS errors (not low pressure errors). Only occurs at higher speeds. Light will go off after a while at slow speeds. I also have two sets of wheels with sensors and same result with both. Weird.

When the TPMS light is on, you cannot turn VSA off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks Miko. Sorry about the wrong thread.

I'm aware of TPMS susceptibility to various RF signals. I have turned phone off, retired my Garmin, moved to Android, driven with it off and on.

The system is claimed to have security features to block unwanted RF, but I disagree. I believe that when a certain signal--most likely intended for aircraft hits the TPMS receiver, the trouble light is triggered. Ironic: a large communications tower with cellular, broadcast, and likely aircraft signals (near an airport) is immediately north of the Honda headquarters building in Markham, Ont. I believe that if a certain type of signal is emitting from the tower, it will trigger the TPMS. I joke that Honda is doing it.
It will also trigger at low speeds, but at large airports. It also seems to trigger at times at U.S. border crossings. I would imagine that Homeland Security has some interesting radio equipment going on there.
It also is on all the time on U.S. Interstates. Is some kind of radio communication used for these highways?
One would think that a software update could cure the problem, but Honda so far is not interested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
SWMBO's 2014 CR-V TPMS system does not work. It turns on when the tires check out ok. Three or four times it has failed to flag a low tire. That has cost us two or three tires in the last year or two. The car does not seem to pull to the side with a flat, so we have ruined two by running them flat. She took the car to a dealer to ask whether the TSB had been applied. The answer was that there was no recall, so there was nothing they could do.

The wife is pleased with the car, except for this problem. I am thinking of replacing the car with a Toyota, since it appears the later model CR-Vs use the same system.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I assume you had the latest TSB done. After that I recalibrated every time I checked the air pressure (even if I didn't add any air). Never had another problem. I owned this car 5 years before getting a 2018.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As I noted above, the dealer refused to do anything about the problem. All my wife asked was whether the TSB had been applied. Since I bought the car late in the model year, I assumed it had probably been done, but wanted to verify that. Toyota or Hyundai are looking attractive.:mad:

Do the later models still use the same system or has Honda reverted to the old method? If they have changed back, I would consider a new CR-V.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
As I noted above, the dealer refused to do anything about the problem. All my wife asked was whether the TSB had been applied. Since I bought the car late in the model year, I assumed it had probably been done, but wanted to verify that. Toyota or Hyundai are looking attractive.:mad:

Do the later models still use the same system or has Honda reverted to the old method? If they have changed back, I would consider a new CR-V.
It's been awhile, but I remember when the Dec 14 update was released the 2015 model was already available. So I'm guessing it was not done on your car.

441 - 460 of 476 Posts