Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just joined and this is the first Honda Cr-V for us. It is my wife's DD. Mother in law has a 2010 which I drove around 2300 miles recently so we went from Subaru to Honda.

We leased a 2014 EX AWD black on black. Got a great trade in price for the subie and the dealer added in the front skid plate after we asked to seal the deal.

We left the lot with 240 miles showing. I drove it yesterday and felt and heard what sounded like the brakes pulsating. Not horrible but enought to notice with now 540 miles on it. Remember we got it was 240 on it. Wife is a slow poke driver and knows not to ride the brakes going down hills.

So with this said, Does Honda use crap rotors or has anyone else had this problem? I'm not very happy considering the mileage we've put on it.

She dropped it off at the dealer and they told her they cut the rotors a little bit and that it was from sitting on the lot. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go up and throw a fit. I've never heard of such a ****ty excuse.

Other then this problem we both do like the vehicle a lot. However I'm regretting another black vehicle lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a 2014 CR-V EXL new and have over 2K without any problems regarding the brakes. Could have been a brake rider who owned the vehicle for the first 240.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello, just joined and this is the first Honda Cr-V for us. It is my wife's DD. Mother in law has a 2010 which I drove around 2300 miles recently so we went from Subaru to Honda.

We leased a 2014 EX AWD black on black. Got a great trade in price for the subie and the dealer added in the front skid plate after we asked to seal the deal.

We left the lot with 240 miles showing. I drove it yesterday and felt and heard what sounded like the brakes pulsating. Not horrible but enought to notice with now 540 miles on it. Remember we got it was 240 on it. Wife is a slow poke driver and knows not to ride the brakes going down hills.

So with this said, Does Honda use crap rotors or has anyone else had this problem? I'm not very happy considering the mileage we've put on it.

She dropped it off at the dealer and they told her they cut the rotors a little bit and that it was from sitting on the lot. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go up and throw a fit. I've never heard of such a ****ty excuse.

Other then this problem we both do like the vehicle a lot. However I'm regretting another black vehicle lol
Have a similar issue but at 24k miles:) See thread in same sub forum. From my research it does seem that some CRV owners [from recent years] having warped brakes issues so possibly bad batch of rotors... contacting Honda and will update.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
With 240 miles on it and being sold as a new car it was probably a demo model. No telling who did what to those brakes on test drives.
A new car to me is one with less than 10 miles on the odo. Otherwise it's been used and possibly abused too much to invest my hard earned money in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
14,000 miles on mine and they are still in good shape.

This winter I did push them a bit while testing the traction control and anti-lock brakes on ice and deep snow. I am curious on how the rotors warp so fast, usually when brakes need replacement it is the pads that need to be replace. Rotors cheap and expensive ones should at least last until the next set of brake pads.

Do you live in extreme hot climates or wet area this time of year? going through flooded roads with hot brakes can warp rotors. I don't think dust or dirt should affect the rotor as using the brakes should clean them off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
14,000 miles on mine and they are still in good shape.

This winter I did push them a bit while testing the traction control and anti-lock brakes on ice and deep snow. I am curious on how the rotors warp so fast, usually when brakes need replacement it is the pads that need to be replace. Rotors cheap and expensive ones should at least last until the next set of brake pads.

Do you live in extreme hot climates or wet area this time of year? going through flooded roads with hot brakes can warp rotors. I don't think dust or dirt should affect the rotor as using the brakes should clean them off.
At 14k miles our brakes were also fine so advise to be on lookout for any vibration.

Have read others complaining about rotors at about 14-15k miles and at 22k. Still think there was a bad batch. Dealer said pads ok.

Of course Honda going to say it is driving habits... funny if they do since that would imply we changed into drag racers with purchase of CRV:) when past history is exact opposite:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to the wife, said she got it back and it's a lot better. No sound issues or pulsating. Hope it doesn't happen anymore.

I didn't really notice mileage at first. We sat in so many and we have a tough time with picking a color. We wanted a black interior so we were back and forth then kinda quickly went with black ext. I've washed it twice already in one week lol.

Her payment went down 2 dollars a month and insurance went down 140 per year going to this from 2011 subaru legacy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Our 13 is ok so far with 14k on them. Our 04 was another story. Honda's back then came with the crappiest steel you could use for rotors and the pads were not much better. I've heard they are better now and time will tell. First brake job on the 04 came at 45k and that was pads and rotors. They wanted to turn them but I just replaced them, turned rotors don't last that long.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There maybe some merit to the reason stated. I had an 05 Accord V6 Coupe that used to sit un-driven for weeks at a time. Almost every time I would get in to drive it I would find the brake rotors were rusted and this caused a similar pulse in the brake pedal and grinding noise as you described. A little brake pad bedding usually solved my issue.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If they washed the car with a sprayer every week and didn't drive it to dry off the rotors I could see them (the rotors) getting pretty rusted up after a while. I know every time I wash our CR-V I try to make sure I either drag the brakes if putting it into the garage right afterwards or go down the street to the end of the block and hit the brakes good to heat them up and dry them off. They always have a light coating of rust on them after a wash.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad the pulsating has stopped. Be aware, however, if they turned (cut) the rotors, they are now thinner than stock and will be more likely to warp in the future. Keep your receipts and if the rotors need to be replaced in the next 50,000 miles or so, I'd ask for a pro-rated adjustment on the price of the job.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybye who ever installed the wheels torqued some of the lugs to tight or not enough.
Something as simple as that can cause warping.
I would not let them 'cut' the rotors.
Thinning the metal just makes them more prone to warping.
I'd demand full rotor replacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are not supposed to turn a warped rotor. You are supposed to replace it. Turning a warped rotor is just putting a Band-Aid on the problem it will resurface again and they will need replacing and probably out of your warranty period. Any good mechanic will tell you that. That said we just replaced the front brakes on our '08 CRV EX that had over 100K on them!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, my experience has been that if the lug nuts are not hand-torqued, the rotors will invariably be warped to various degrees. I always request it. Do not assume they aren't going to use a pneumatic impact gun (one of the familiar noises in a shop) to install the lug nuts...

Turning rotors isn't horrible if they just shave a bit off...IMHO. I've driven many miles on turned rotors before replacing, without warping.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just had warped rotors machined at 25k miles so will update when they start vibrating again.

According to Honda rep I spoke to the rotors are made to be machined up to three times up to 50k miles. Probably BS but time will tell. Of course Honda not cover costs.

Our family tends to buy same make of vehicles [9 Hondas in total] depending on our shared experience. Based on this plus another issue with Pilot the next batch of vehicle purchases will not be Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I picked my 2014 CRV up it had been sitting on the lot through a long winter; when taking it for a test-drive there was a noticeable scratching sound when the brakes were applied. The salesman said it was just due to the sitting it did through the winter and the sound should go away as the car is driven. The sound never did. I brought it back in for an oil change at the one year/5000mile mark (I live in the city and only use it for getting out of town) and also asked them to take a look at the wheel assembly since the noise was still quite prominent. After inspecting it they told me that my brakes and rotors were "pitted" and they needed replacements to the tune of $900. Naturally, this was "wear & tear" so was not covered by warranty. After yelling at him for a while the service guy told me in a low voice that the CRV that came in right after mine had the exact same problem, so it could be an issue with the model.

Long story short, I sent a letter up the hierarchy and got the brakes and rotors replaced gratis.

Honda did right in the end but I suspect there is an issue that needs to be addressed in the factory. Bad parts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts