Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the max tongue weight rating for the OEM hitch (1.25") for the 2015/16 CR-V? I won't be towing; it's needed only for a hitch-mount bike rack (and it would be a three-bike rack at most). I'm aware of the other options (including 2" receivers, many of which are on etrailer.com), but wanted to make sure I had all the info on the OEM hitch. I can't seem to find this info anywhere. It seems that max tongue weight you are supposed to have is 150lbs (10% of the 1,500lbs towing capacity), and I'm assuming that's the minimum rating for the OEM hitch. Because of the stress a hitch-mount bike rack could impose, I did want to find out how study the hitch is.

For those using a bike rack with the OEM hitch, how stable is the setup given the 1.25" receiver size?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stability for 1.25 receivers suck, they rock side to side too much, get a 2inch if you haven't got it already. I think 200 pounds is the max tongue weight. Your will be fine with a bike rack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Vote for 2" hitch many more bike rack options and the cost about the same to buy and install.Very happy with mine 350 tounge weight rating. Curt Hitch
Captain Bob

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,919 Posts
I have a 1.25" hitch that I use strictly for my bike rack. I got it installed at U-haul and it came with a lifetime warranty. I carry 2 Trek X-Calibers on it just fine. When I transferred from TX to VA I had my bike rack and both bikes on the V and didn't have a single problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All - Many thanks for the comments. I was thinking of the 1.25" OEM hitch only because of a slightly better chance that the dealer will do a more careful job installing it. I realize that some people may find that laughable. The dealer wants $600 to install just the hitch, and I would use a Yakima Literider rack, which only weighs about 20 pounds. With bikes, it would be less than 100 pounds total. I am a little concerned about bouncing and the force that would be generated, even with only 100 pounds on the hitch.

I called a very good local repair shop to ask whether they would install the OEM hitch, and they said that they would, but that they personally used the local UHaul location. UHaul has a 2" receiver/Class III hitch with a 525lb tongue weight rating, for about $240 installed. That ought to be plenty, but then the issue is how carefully will they install the hitch. I'll look into that more. It's possible that in the future I'll go with a tray-style hitch rack, and those weigh around 50lbs just for the rack.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,919 Posts
All - Many thanks for the comments. I was thinking of the 1.25" OEM hitch only because of a slightly better chance that the dealer will do a more careful job installing it. I realize that some people may find that laughable. The dealer wants $600 to install just the hitch, and I would use a Yakima Literider rack, which only weighs about 20 pounds. With bikes, it would be less than 100 pounds total. I am a little concerned about bouncing and the force that would be generated, even with only 100 pounds on the hitch.

I called a very good local repair shop to ask whether they would install the OEM hitch, and they said that they would, but that they personally used the local UHaul location. UHaul has a 2" receiver/Class III hitch with a 525lb tongue weight rating, for about $240 installed. That ought to be plenty, but then the issue is how carefully will they install the hitch. I'll look into that more. It's possible that in the future I'll go with a tray-style hitch rack, and those weigh around 50lbs just for the rack.
U-Haul did an excellent job on my V. Everything looks clean on the underside and you wouldn't know the difference from them or the dealer except for the sticker they put on it. With that lifetime warranty, you really can't beat it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm picking up a 2016 CRV AWD Touring and U-Haul says they won't install...only on FWD. Has anyone heard this before?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
I'm picking up a 2016 CRV AWD Touring and U-Haul says they won't install...only on FWD. Has anyone heard this before?
Weird. Their website says the same thing. They aren't hard to diy.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
120 Posts
Sounds like U-Haul is concerned over "Product Liability". Supposedly they won't rent a trailer to you if you have a Ford Explorer.
U-Haul is a weird company; and that's all I have to say about that!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to a different location and they installed it with no issues. Strange but it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts