Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done the installation the way it has been instructed here. I have removed the gray cable on the back of headunit. It has been almost 3 weeks i am using apple carplay. I barely use it for GPS purposes. But today i found it was rerouting in the middle of the route and changes route constantly. After 2 minutes it settled down to correct route on GPS. My phone's IOS is 14.1? Have you experienced such things?? After removing gray cable why it's been doing re routing??
Any update

·
Registered
1 Posts
so I was able to get a CarPlay update for the 2015-2016 CRV EX and above. I was able to get a USB stick that had it work perfectly this is the beta software that was released and it works well, only thing I've noticed is CarPlay when you turn your car on will take up to 20 seconds to load up but when it does its very snappy. I made a copy of the usb contents and have it posted with instructions here. I can't confirm that this works because when I tried to duplicate it I was not able to get a update prompt the second time around (this happened with the original USB that performed the update and the copy that I made). But here goes, let me know if it works at all for you guys. I'm pretty stoked that this works and I don't have to change out any hardware to get CarPlay. BTW all functionality including steering wheel controls work.

1. What you want to do is make sure that when you download this file that it is transferred to a usb drive that is formatted at FAT32, name the drive USB20FD.
2. In the car make sure all doors are closed and everything is off, windows up.
3. Turn car on and wait for the head unit to fully load. Plug the drive into the USB port to the left. Wait 2 minutes for the update message to show up, select the update and wait for it to finish to 100% it might stall at the end at 99%.
4. Follow all prompts.
5. You will see CarPlay as an icon on the headunit.

Thanks for providing this awesome update. It worked great. The only step that was different was on the head unit we found that to get the file to launch we had to select the cd icon and the file kicked in immediately. Great job!

·
Registered
40 Posts
In case anyone is interested two of us have successfully upgraded 2012 and 2014 CR-Vs to 2015/16 stereos to be able to do this upgrade and get carplay. I screwed up and bought a head unit that needed an external amplifier when my EX didn't have one yet, so I had to make a cable to add in an amplifier. It turned out for the best because the sound is way better now with the amp (and its just the crappy pioneer oem amp ). It was a collaborative effort and user Vlad717 helped immensely to design the adapter cables. here is the thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a weird question does anyone have a full CR-V hard drive dump. I'm messing around with a 9th gen civic head unit right now and trying to edit windows CE code. I came up with this weird idea to clone all the software from a CRV head unit to a civic unit. If anybody has one it would be a massive help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a weird question does anyone have a full CR-V hard drive dump. I'm messing around with a 9th gen civic head unit right now and trying to edit windows CE code. I came up with this weird idea to clone all the software from a CRV head unit to a civic unit. If anybody has one it would be a massive help.
Is the "Hard-Drive" soldered to the board or is it a M2/Sata/other external interface?

From the pictures present on FCC website, I have the impression it might be a soldered hard drive. Do you know if that is the case?

Before trying to update to this beta version, I was looking if it would be possible to downgrade to the previous version if I have any problem.
I was planning to take a full dump just in case.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX AWD Kona Coffee Metalic
14 Posts
Just bought my 2016 EX Friday night, the one option my car didn't have was CarPlay, I had the cables to try that HondaLink, but apparently that has been discontinued. I found this thread yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe my eyes. (I don't have much good luck in my life) I downloaded it and went out and installed it. the system rebooted and said I had to hold the power button for 2 seconds, then the icon was there. it has only been 24hrs but so far I haven't had any of the re-routing problems other owners had. If I do, I will disconnect the GPS. but for now I will leave it. My CR-V is now perfect!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just bought my 2016 EX Friday night, the one option my car didn't have was CarPlay, I had the cables to try that HondaLink, but apparently that has been discontinued. I found this thread yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe my eyes. (I don't have much good luck in my life) I downloaded it and went out and installed it. the system rebooted and said I had to hold the power button for 2 seconds, then the icon was there. it has only been 24hrs but so far I haven't had any of the re-routing problems other owners had. If I do, I will disconnect the GPS. but for now I will leave it. My CR-V is now perfect!!!
Glad you found it! You will eventually run into the GPS problem, but at least you know the "fix"!

·
Registered
1 Posts
update... so I did some more research, and it appears initialization of the in car GPS takes several hours, so this why it appeared to work initially, but then gets the speed/ direction issue. So it uses the phone GPS until it’s initialized, and then uses the faulty in car gps.

So I jumped in and removed the radio. 10 minutes and 2 screws later I had the radio out. I unplugged the GPS antenna plug (gray one on top passenger side; see pic). So far so good. Everything appears to work and I has no speed or direction issues using Waze. Hopefully this is the magic bullet to get working CarPlay! I will update after I get some more drive time. View attachment 139778 View attachment 139779
Thanks for the info. I also have the same reroute issue with google maps in my 2015 CRV EXL after installing CarPlay. If I have to remove the gps cable as you suggested, do I need to turn on the head unit while doing this? Appreciate your response!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was thinking of maybe cutting the gps wire going to the radio and add an inline switch somewhere in order to re-enable / disable the built-in gps function (ie to make it easier to reset the date after a battery issue.) What do you guys think of this idea ? do you know how long I could extend this wire without impacting the builtin gps function ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was thinking of maybe cutting the gps wire going to the radio and add an inline switch somewhere in order to re-enable / disable the built-in gps function (ie to make it easier to reset the date after a battery issue.) What do you guys think of this idea ? do you know how long I could extend this wire without impacting the builtin gps function ?
you may want to check on that before you cut anything, most GPS antennas I have seen are not connected by a "wire" it is actually a small coaxial cable which would then need to be terminated on the two ends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI On the carplay firmware, I have noticed that when I recieve a message, I dont get any kind of notification, whatever I am listening to gets muted, the notification is displayed but no audible notification. also the siri button on the steering wheel doesnt seem to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many, many thanks to those pioneering folks who figured this whole process out, and then created the simple instructions so that a total idiot like me can now enjoy Carplay in my new-to-me 2015 CRV EXL! I stand on the shoulders of giants!
I second that! I just bought the 2016 CRV EX model (no carplay or navi) and was ready to buy an after market double din stereo, until I saw these posts! Worked on 1st try like a charm and the whole process tool 10 minutes! No special skills required :) This is AWESOME! THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I’m hoping someone here can help me. Or direct me to someone. I have a 2014 CRV. EXL I think. I have the recessed imid information screen. I hate it. It’s dark. I can’t read the info. I want to tear the entire section of the dashboard out and get rid of it completely and replace it with a unit where my CD players is... Is this possible? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The cd player can be replaced, if that is what you are referring to, the screen above I believe will still retain the clock function if I am not mistaken. here is a video of an installation shop replacing the head unit with a more modern one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cd player can be replaced, if that is what you are referring to, the screen above I believe will still retain the clock function if I am not mistaken. here is a video of an installation shop replacing the head unit with a more modern one.

Thank you for responding! I watched the video. I now have an appreciation of how complicated it is to changeout radios on the CR V. What I originally was asking about is removing the top display.
I did find some CRVs where they installed vertical radios with 10 inch screens and the top display was removed for them.
They have a lot of functionality and the text is much easier to read. Do you know anything about this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I updated my firmware and this is the message I continue to get no matter what I've tried so far. CarPlay already shows up on the Home Screen, I just can't do anything with it.

·
Banned
2 Posts
261 - 280 of 288 Posts