Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worked perfect on a 2016 CR-V EX no nav. Just followed the instructions. Took all of 5 minutes.

Thank you all, saved me from trying to find an aftermarket head unit that keeps the lanewatch camera function.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well it was fun while it lasted.

The GPS does not work correctly. It keeps telling me i'm driving backwards and keeps rerouting. Others have mentioned this issue on reddit. And since there will not be an update from Honda on this because it's beta, its back to bluetooth for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Which app are you using? I’ve been using Waze without an issue. Also, could you provide the Reddit thread location?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine work brilliantly the first week, then all of a sudden having navigation issues in Waze where it reports incorrect speed. A real speed of 70 = 123 mph in waze. Whats wierd is that it also impacts other apps like Life 360 which reported that I completed a x mile drive with a top speed of 123 mph... unplugging and plugging phone back in would temporarily fix it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed this update on my 2016 CR-V EXL. It worked great the first day! The next day, my maps, both Apple and Google began to reroute about every 30 seconds or more. It as bizarre. It was unbelievable. I tried using Google maps without plugging it in and that worked fine. After about 20 minutes, I plugged it in and it seemed to work fine until it started rerouting me again. Damn, wish it would have worked correctly. Anyone aware of any other links that may have download to correct this? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had it in for almost two weeks with no issues, then today Waze started reporting my speed 20 - 35 mph more than what I was doing. I never thought to look at the phone to see if it said the same thing or not.

What I would really like to know is:

1. Is there a link to Honda or whoever has made the update available?
2. Where can we report issues we encounter?

Since this is beta software I can understand bug, but feel the people who wrote it would appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So in doing some research, the 2015 and 2016 non-Navi EX and EXL cars have the same GPS antenna as the Navi versions have. I also read where some aftermarket head units had similar speed/direction issues as the Beta and the solution was to unplug the aftermarket GPS antenna. Anyone know why the GPS was added for 2015 non-Navi? Wonder if the speed / direction issue would be solved if the GPS antenna was unplugged, forcing CarPlay to rely on the phone GPS.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's interesting. Any idea on how to unplug the GPS antenna? Kinda sounds like removing the head unit and looking for a connector. Doesn't sound like it's real easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had it in for almost two weeks with no issues, then today Waze started reporting my speed 20 - 35 mph more than what I was doing. I never thought to look at the phone to see if it said the same thing or not.

What I would really like to know is:

1. Is there a link to Honda or whoever has made the update available?
2. Where can we report issues we encounter?

Since this is beta software I can understand bug, but feel the people who wrote it would appreciate the feedback.
Strictly speaking, Honda doesn't actually care about any issues you report with this - it isn't something they intended to have released. It's beta software that is unfinished. They elected not to proceed with the update, so you're kinda on your own. I doubt as to whether or not it'll ever be updated, and I'm not sure who would do so if it were.

·
Registered
10 Posts
update... so I did some more research, and it appears initialization of the in car GPS takes several hours, so this why it appeared to work initially, but then gets the speed/ direction issue. So it uses the phone GPS until it’s initialized, and then uses the faulty in car gps.

So I jumped in and removed the radio. 10 minutes and 2 screws later I had the radio out. I unplugged the GPS antenna plug (gray one on top passenger side; see pic). So far so good. Everything appears to work and I has no speed or direction issues using Waze. Hopefully this is the magic bullet to get working CarPlay! I will update after I get some more drive time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the research and testing. I have a question on where you found the info that the GPS waits hours to activate? I was previously using the Honda Navigation App. The app depends on the GPS and always worked immediately. My experience has been the speed in WAZE was off immediately when I started driving, there was no wait. And the symptoms didn’t start until a week or so after the update.

Now for today - I did a lot of driving but had the Podcast app on the screen instead of WAZE. After my last stop I switched to the WAZE screen. It reported the speed correctly for the whole ride home. Typically, it would report incorrectly and not stop. Not sure what this says except that this is a really strange bug.

Wondering if anyone has used other navigation programs (Apple Maps, Google Maps, etc.) from CarPlay. If those programs show the vehicle’s speed are they showing abnormal behavior? Just looking for any comparisons to figure out what is going on.

BTW, I sent a message to WAZE about this and their response was it must be related to the position of the device or that things like mountains or buildings are interfering with the satellite signal. I wrote back saying I don’t agree since it starts immediately and never stops no matter where I drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the research and testing. I have a question on where you found the info that the GPS waits hours to activate? I was previously using the Honda Navigation App. The app depends on the GPS and always worked immediately. My experience has been the speed in WAZE was off immediately when I started driving, there was no wait. And the symptoms didn’t start until a week or so after the update.

Now for today - I did a lot of driving but had the Podcast app on the screen instead of WAZE. After my last stop I switched to the WAZE screen. It reported the speed correctly for the whole ride home. Typically, it would report incorrectly and not stop. Not sure what this says except that this is a really strange bug.

Wondering if anyone has used other navigation programs (Apple Maps, Google Maps, etc.) from CarPlay. If those programs show the vehicle’s speed are they showing abnormal behavior? Just looking for any comparisons to figure out what is going on.

BTW, I sent a message to WAZE about this and their response was it must be related to the position of the device or that things like mountains or buildings are interfering with the satellite signal. I wrote back saying I don’t agree since it starts immediately and never stops no matter where I drive.
When I first installed the beta, it worked flawlessly for the first week or so, and then I had the speed/direction issue (where it has me driving backward and constantly redirects. It happened after about 4-5 hours of total drive time. It impacted Waze, google, and Apple Maps. The crv is for my teenage son and we use an app called Life360 which tracks his drives and sends alerts if there is speeding, phone use, or an accident while driving. It runs in the background but it also reports the wrong speed when his phone is connected to CarPlay. Momma Bear was a little upset with the 123mph report (real speed 70)...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well that sounds similar to my experience, worked for a week or so, then started screwing up. Since it behaved today it will be interesting to see what it does tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
update... so I did some more research, and it appears initialization of the in car GPS takes several hours, so this why it appeared to work initially, but then gets the speed/ direction issue. So it uses the phone GPS until it’s initialized, and then uses the faulty in car gps.

So I jumped in and removed the radio. 10 minutes and 2 screws later I had the radio out. I unplugged the GPS antenna plug (gray one on top passenger side; see pic). So far so good. Everything appears to work and I has no speed or direction issues using Waze. Hopefully this is the magic bullet to get working CarPlay! I will update after I get some more drive time. View attachment 139778 View attachment 139779
I'd love to hear your thoughts on how well it works after you unplugged the GPS antenna. Mine is doing the same thing. Loses direction all the time. Tried Google maps and Apple maps, same issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, now that we have someone who has experienced the same issue on other apps, it definitely does point to either the head unit, or the way CarPlay is implemented in the Upgrade. Kinda strange that it can measure distance correctly as that would be computed from GPS info also. For now I am turning off the Show Speedometer setting in WAZE so I don’t have to look at it.

I opened a case with a Honda In Car Technology Support. I will call them Monday to see if they have anything to say on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all, I would like to thank motouber who started this thread and other guys.
Just updated and CarPlay worked perfectly.
Attached pictures for references.

motouber comments>
1. What you want to do is make sure that when you download this file that it is transferred to a usb drive that is formatted at FAT32, name the drive USB20FD.
2. In the car make sure all doors are closed and everything is off, windows up.
3. Turn car on and wait for the head unit to fully load. Plug the drive into the USB port to the left.

3-1. when CRV didn't recognize the drive, then I changed USB port.

Wait 2 minutes for the update message to show up, select the update and wait for it to finish to 100% it might stall at the end at 99%.

4. Follow all prompts.
5. You will see CarPlay as an icon on the headunit.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts