Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So in looking at this post: 2016 crv ex - after market radio install; with... the hand drawn schematic has the gps connector on the passenger side on the back of the head unit. I will try to test the theory and unplug the gps this weekend to see what happens...
Look in the other thread ("Official response..."), I just posted a write up about this. Unplugging the GPS antenna works like a charm. Fixes the position accuracy issue, and also the issue about Waze displaying the wrong speed (about 1.6 times the actual speed).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had the GPS issue. I unplugged the GPS cable as suggested here. Now Google Maps and Waze works perfectly, but Apple Maps only points North. Apple Maps on my phone does not do this, only on the CarPlay display. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: we’ve completed about 10 drives with the gps antenna unplugged have not had any speed/direction issues. It was previously incorrect on every drive.
Mine would work perfectly for weeks and then start being incorrect for days before randomly working perfectly again. I've been going through the issue since the file was originally uploaded by "cecilyen", probably sometime back in January. CarPlay worked great for a few weeks and then suddenly started acting all funny with the incorrect speeds and frequent relocating. It started again a few days ago and so I came back to these forums tonight just to see if there were any other people sharing similar experiences. Very happy to find out about the potential fix. I'll give the GPS disconnect a shot and report back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Couple of dumb questions:

1. Does removing the GPS connector affect anything else?
2. If the vehicle has no navigation system why does it have a GPS?
3. Any idea why in the menu on the i-MID there is a setting for turn by turn directions?

I'm just about ready to go buy a plastic removal tool and do this!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Couple of dumb questions:

1. Does removing the GPS connector affect anything else?
2. If the vehicle has no navigation system why does it have a GPS?
3. Any idea why in the menu on the i-MID there is a setting for turn by turn directions?

I'm just about ready to go buy a plastic removal tool and do this!
1. Not from my tests; the compass on the top screen still works. Perhaps an automatic time-change feature? Not sure if the head unit has that, but that would be disabled for sure if it did.
2. Simpler to build that way, from my understanding. (One-size-fits-all, then enable features based on trim by putting in the appropriate head unit.)
3. No idea; maybe someone else has an answer. Have a pic?

For what it's worth, you really don't need a plastic removal tool. I just used my hands.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cool, but I'm still gonna get the tool - short nails, arthritic thumbs, getting old is a bitch!

Thanks for all the info. Here's the pics of that Turn by turn thing in the i-MID display. It's under the custom settings. I guess it's just like the GPS connector, easier to just have it on the menu. Now that I think about it, I'll bet the cars with the navigation package have the same head unit and just another app loaded, kinda like this was.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cool, but I'm still gonna get the tool - short nails, arthritic thumbs, getting old is a bitch!

Thanks for all the info. Here's the pics of that Turn by turn thing in the i-MID display. It's under the custom settings. I guess it's just like the GPS connector, easier to just have it on the menu. Now that I think about it, I'll bet the cars with the navigation package have the same head unit and just another app loaded, kinda like this was.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!!!!!

View attachment 139878 View attachment 139879

Fair enough for the tool! Whatever makes life easier, right?

As for the turn-by-turn option, I'm guessing this might be related. It doesn't seem that it's useful for CarPlay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too had the GPS issue. I unplugged the GPS cable as suggested here. Now Google Maps and Waze works perfectly, but Apple Maps only points North. Apple Maps on my phone does not do this, only on the CarPlay display. Has anyone else experienced this?
No - just tested Apple Maps and it works fine with navigation. At first I could not see what it was doing b/c the screen was zoomed out and washed out, but once I entered a destination, it zoomed in and a blue route was highlighted. The screen rotated with each turn. I even drove parallel to another road (40 yards apart) and it had me on the correct one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve got the vents out, the screws off, and the top clips loose like the videos I watched. Are there any bottom clips? I can’t get this head unit to move.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve got the vents out, the screws off, and the top clips loose like the videos I watched. Are there any bottom clips? I can’t get this head unit to move.
Yeah, three clips on the bottom. They're the red ones in the pictures I posted in the other thread.

This thing was really stubborn; I managed to get it loose by prying the left side out, then the right, then snap, all three clips unsnapped at once. Nothing broke, might I add. Just alot of coaxing required.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, sorry for the panic, I got it out!. I had it out 1/8 out and it just wouldn't go any further. Finally just tied working each side a bit then used both hands and it came out. Will check it all out tomorrow, clouds are getting darker and darker and we are supposed to get some bad storms so am staying in.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No - just tested Apple Maps and it works fine with navigation. At first I could not see what it was doing b/c the screen was zoomed out and washed out, but once I entered a destination, it zoomed in and a blue route was highlighted. The screen rotated with each turn. I even drove parallel to another road (40 yards apart) and it had me on the correct one.
Thanks for your great contribution to this thread. One question, what type of usb did you use? I tried 3 different usbs, but none of them worked.. it always said "usb problem". And I have tried in 2 usb ports, same problem.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Go back through the thread, it tells what the format is and how the thumb drive has to be labeled. And Try both USB ports.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go back through the thread, it tells what the format is and how the thumb drive has to be labeled. And Try both USB ports.
Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, I formatted and named my drive as "USB20FD", download the firmware named SwUpdate.mef, and tried in both ports. But it always said USB problem. See the picture below.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts