Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
'15 CR-V EXL, CarPlay!
2 Posts
Many, many thanks to those pioneering folks who figured this whole process out, and then created the simple instructions so that a total idiot like me can now enjoy Carplay in my new-to-me 2015 CRV EXL! I stand on the shoulders of giants!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure you follow the guides on this forum to disconnect the GPS cable from the head unit. This will solve your GPS issues.
I downloaded the Waze map/navigation app and works great, no more issues. It was a simple fix, without disconnecting the gps cable. Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
56 Posts
Guessing we still haven't see anything for the models with navigation, huh?
AMEN.

I too am still waiting for the desired 2015/16 CRV Touring headunit firmware upgrade! I am temporarily using an Amazon Tablet and Carlinkit adapter that requires the AutoKit.APK file for installation on Android headunits and Tablets. The cheapest upgrade option out there other than just using your phone as the display.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I uploaded the file to Mediafire and Dropbox since the original host was too slow.
Here are the download links:
MediaFire
Dropbox
Thank you for sharing these files! I just performed this upgrade to my daughters 2015 CR-V EX-L and it worked perfectly. I feel better now that she has this feature to be able to have her navigation on the screen for visual and audio capability. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
so I was able to get a CarPlay update for the 2015-2016 CRV EX and above. I was able to get a USB stick that had it work perfectly this is the beta software that was released and it works well, only thing I've noticed is CarPlay when you turn your car on will take up to 20 seconds to load up but when it does its very snappy. I made a copy of the usb contents and have it posted with instructions here. I can't confirm that this works because when I tried to duplicate it I was not able to get a update prompt the second time around (this happened with the original USB that performed the update and the copy that I made). But here goes, let me know if it works at all for you guys. I'm pretty stoked that this works and I don't have to change out any hardware to get CarPlay. BTW all functionality including steering wheel controls work.

1. What you want to do is make sure that when you download this file that it is transferred to a usb drive that is formatted at FAT32, name the drive USB20FD.
2. In the car make sure all doors are closed and everything is off, windows up.
3. Turn car on and wait for the head unit to fully load. Plug the drive into the USB port to the left. Wait 2 minutes for the update message to show up, select the update and wait for it to finish to 100% it might stall at the end at 99%.
4. Follow all prompts.
5. You will see CarPlay as an icon on the headunit.

Thanks for this information! #priceless

·
Registered
1 Posts
so I was able to get a CarPlay update for the 2015-2016 CRV EX and above. I was able to get a USB stick that had it work perfectly this is the beta software that was released and it works well, only thing I've noticed is CarPlay when you turn your car on will take up to 20 seconds to load up but when it does its very snappy. I made a copy of the usb contents and have it posted with instructions here. I can't confirm that this works because when I tried to duplicate it I was not able to get a update prompt the second time around (this happened with the original USB that performed the update and the copy that I made). But here goes, let me know if it works at all for you guys. I'm pretty stoked that this works and I don't have to change out any hardware to get CarPlay. BTW all functionality including steering wheel controls work.

1. What you want to do is make sure that when you download this file that it is transferred to a usb drive that is formatted at FAT32, name the drive USB20FD.
2. In the car make sure all doors are closed and everything is off, windows up.
3. Turn car on and wait for the head unit to fully load. Plug the drive into the USB port to the left. Wait 2 minutes for the update message to show up, select the update and wait for it to finish to 100% it might stall at the end at 99%.
4. Follow all prompts.
5. You will see CarPlay as an icon on the headunit.

Hello, how can I get a copy of the CarPlay firmware for my 2016 CRV EX
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
After some apprehension I tried this today. Using the driver side USB port, the first San Disk usb drive a tried I got nothing. No error or anything. Just sat there and nothing happened. FI double checked and the file and drive were named correctly. Second try was a PNY brand USB3 drive and I ran into an USB error. Third time was with a 4 Gb Samsung USB2 keychain drive and it worked perfectly. I started a timer and from start to finish it took 8 min for the install. I also disconnected the GPS antenna from my head unit. I watched the video that was posted and it took me just over three min from start to finish. Everything seems to be functioning great. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is a dumb question, ..... but will this work on a Nav 2014? and why not?
It won't. 2015 and 2016 use a different hardware revision for the head units. There's a variant of this software that won't work on even the 2015-16 models that have navigation built-in. Long story short, the head units in prior models are probably not powerful enough to run CarPlay or Android Auto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, now that we have someone who has experienced the same issue on other apps, it definitely does point to either the head unit, or the way CarPlay is implemented in the Upgrade. Kinda strange that it can measure distance correctly as that would be computed from GPS info also. For now I am turning off the Show Speedometer setting in WAZE so I don’t have to look at it.

I opened a case with a Honda In Car Technology Support. I will call them Monday to see if they have anything to say on this.
Any solution u got from Honda??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, now that we have someone who has experienced the same issue on other apps, it definitely does point to either the head unit, or the way CarPlay is implemented in the Upgrade. Kinda strange that it can measure distance correctly as that would be computed from GPS info also. For now I am turning off the Show Speedometer setting in WAZE so I don’t have to look at it.

I opened a case with a Honda In Car Technology Support. I will call them Monday to see if they have anything to say on this.
Any solution from Honda??

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Honda support group did call me back but I missed the call. When I tried a few times to callback, I couldn’t get a rep, so it kinda fell out of my mind.

My question now is, if Honda didn’t authorize this, who put it together?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Honda is known to have beta-tested CarPlay functionality in the 2015-2016 CRV. The files that exist are from people who received them from Honda, or they were obtained from people who obtained them from Honda for testing purposes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Windows defaults should work.
Did you rename the USB drive correctly? It must be named USB20FD .
Also check that everything is off and windows are shut.
Try another USB port if one doesn't work.
I made the mistake of renaming the file USB20FD, it should be Drive instead so once this was done it downloaded no problem. My guess is that the folks having trouble getting it to work made the same mistake as me.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,511 Posts
I was able to get this to work!!!

2015 EX, followed instructions but one thing, i was unable to install s/w in usb 1. I got, “unable to read from the USB” message. After changing to port 2, I was able to install the software successfully. Thank you so much @motouber. You saved me spending more on it.
fwiw, on my touring that's exactly what I discovered when I updated the gps.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts