Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the cupholders in the new CR-V suck. You are not able to put in a cup or mug that has a handle. It only accepts a smooth cup. So I created a mod that will fit. I'm having the prototype 3D printed and will keep you updated if it works.

Screenshot 2015-01-31 17.34.17.jpg

Screenshot 2015-01-31 17.34.26.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
What I want is a replacement that is spring loaded to keep the cup from tipping and moving around. (like most cars). Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
716 Posts
What I want is a replacement that is spring loaded to keep the cup from tipping and moving around. (like most cars). Thoughts anyone?
Nothing is quite as entertaining as a dancing cup of steaming hot coffee on your morning commute. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think theyre perfect. Most coffee places these days give thin flimsy foam or paper cups, and the'yre HUGE. We live in a supersized society. They fit in there perfectly. The soft drink ones fit as well. They are deep enough where it cant fall over. Theyre not designed for kitchen mugs with a handle, ill give you that. What if you put something in the bottom to shorten the depth so the coffee mug handle was higher? (or switch to a thermal travel mug instead, which has no teacup handle)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Sticky-back foam, custom cut to size works well. Use black and it is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sticky-back foam, custom cut to size works well. Use black and it is hardly noticeable.
Interesting, I'm heading out to run errands. I'll stop at Home Depo to see what the folks there recommend. They love these kinds of challenges. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bet that works fine to raise it up a bit higher. Keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I went to Home Depot this morning and after some trial and error found a solution that is snug enough for any size cup.

1/2" foam pipe insulation, and some double sided adhesive tape and a box cutter.

First attempt was easy, just cut about 3" of pipe insulation and stick it to each of the four corners. Nice, but a little too snug.

cup-holder-solution-tight.png

Second attempt was a variation of the first. I removed each of the pieces of foam insulation. I used a box cutter to cut a piece of the foam away.

cup-holder-solution-looser.png

I tried different size cups, including the Yeti, and they all sit without bouncing around.

It's a shame customers have to deal with this, but given all the new safety features in the 4.5 gen CR-V, I think it's worth it.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to Home Depot this morning and after some trial and error found a solution that is snug enough for any size cup.

1/2" foam pipe insulation, and some double sided adhesive tape and a box cutter.

First attempt was easy, just cut about 3" of pipe insulation and stick it to each of the four corners. Nice, but a little too snug.

View attachment 62786

Second attempt was a variation of the first. I removed each of the pieces of foam insulation. I used a box cutter to cut a piece of the foam away.

View attachment 62794

I tried different size cups, including the Yeti, and they all sit without bouncing around.

It's a shame customers have to deal with this, but given all the new safety features in the 4.5 gen CR-V, I think it's worth it.

Don
Can you take and post a photo of the finished install?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts