Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our 2015 CR-V to the dealer several times and each time mentioned that when driving down a hill, with the driver's foot off the gas or even on the brake, the engine will sometimes rev up to between 2-3,000 RPM. We were at the dealer again today and was told this is normal. If it was normal would it not happen every time you coasted or braked down a hill? It does not happen every time and the rev increase is not for a short time it can be for up to 30 seconds to a minute on a long hill. I asked the dealer if he would put into writing that this was normal but he would only allow us to document on a service ticket and he would say vehicle checked and operation was normal. Has anyone else experienced this? I have driven other vehicles, rentals, with single speed transmissions and never had this occur.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The first time it happened on my 2016, I thought I had a problem the first time it happened. It is engine braking and since I live in the mountains, it happens often. It seems to know when you are on a fairly steep downgrade as it does not happen in normal stopping or slight downgrades. I have a 650 Suzuki Burgman Maxi-scooter with a E-CVT that does the same thing except it does it all the time and not just on downgrades. I like the downshifting as it saves my brakes and I don't have to do it manually.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Situation Normal. The engine is assisting in braking when needed down an incline. No worries.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Yup engine braking. Personally I think it's overly sensitive and happens too often.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Honda calls it Grade Logic Control.

We have had our 2015 CR-V to the dealer several times and each time mentioned that when driving down a hill, with the driver's foot off the gas or even on the brake, the engine will sometimes rev up to between 2-3,000 RPM.
At least in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gen's. It's purpose is to save your brakes in mountainous terrain so your brakes don't get so hot they stop working.

When it is active, diddle the throttle and brakes and discover how to make it do what you want.

Or better yet, knowing Honda did it on purpose, just notice how it is working and see how you like it?

After 95,000 miles on our '07 and 30,000 on the '10 we do not even notice it any more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 CR-V Engine rev up on downhill

Brand new 2016 CRV at 4000miles and from day one when going down a daily commute graded hill with around 100meters in length (~300 feet) at eye level guesstimate about 10~20 feet drop elevation.(about 2 to ~3 adult height elevation).
Everyday at the same downhill street, the CRV engine would rev up, loud engine rev up sound, with foot off the accelerator gas paddle, foot off the break paddle, sense the car slows down.
First few times I thought the engine had problem.
Then I did an experiment by shifting the automatic shift to "N" neutral, foot still off break and accelerator, so the CRV is sliding down at neutral, then engine would not rev up.
After re-engaging the automatic shift to "D" when the hill ends, the engine sound is normal.

Have not tried tapping the accelerator paddle or break paddle, will try that next.

On another daily commute hill with much steeper drop but short distance. (roughly 3-4 cars in length, but 2~3 people drop elevation) so the % grade is higher. This hill for some reason never makes the engine rev up sound. Two guesstimate reasons 1) maybe the hill length is too short before engine rev up control firmware starts to engage? 2) maybe because I had my foot on the break paddle continuously before entering the steep downhill? Have not figured out how the programming logic all align in different scenarios. It is all software and firmware.... not hardware in my estimate.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Brand new 2016 CRV at 4000miles and from day one when going down a daily commute graded hill with around 100meters in length (~300 feet) at eye level guesstimate about 10~20 feet drop elevation.(about 2 to ~3 adult height elevation).
Everyday at the same downhill street, the CRV engine would rev up, loud engine rev up sound, with foot off the accelerator gas paddle, foot off the break paddle, sense the car slows down.
First few times I thought the engine had problem.
Then I did an experiment by shifting the automatic shift to "N" neutral, foot still off break and accelerator, so the CRV is sliding down at neutral, then engine would not rev up.
After re-engaging the automatic shift to "D" when the hill ends, the engine sound is normal.

Have not tried tapping the accelerator paddle or break paddle, will try that next.

On another daily commute hill with much steeper drop but short distance. (roughly 3-4 cars in length, but 2~3 people drop elevation) so the % grade is higher. This hill for some reason never makes the engine rev up sound. Two guesstimate reasons 1) maybe the hill length is too short before engine rev up control firmware starts to engage? 2) maybe because I had my foot on the break paddle continuously before entering the steep downhill? Have not figured out how the programming logic all align in different scenarios. It is all software and firmware.... not hardware in my estimate.
My 2016 is turning 38,000 miles and my engine braking is much like yours. There are certain downgrades where the engine braking works every time and others where it works sometimes and not at others. There are other instances where I think it should work but does not. I just drive it and no longer worry about it because it seems to know when to downshift as well or better than I do. My prior car was a 2011 Kia Optima and it also downshifted but not as well as the CRV.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My '09 did this through the mountains on two separate trips last year. It saved me having to downshift manually on the steeper grades. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 CRV has over 40,000 miles. It never did this until a few months ago, after battery was replaced. Can someone please this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2016 has done this ever since I bought it. There is one hill in KC that I go go down every evening on my way home and if I have a clear shot (meaning no traffic in front of me) I'll experience this every time.

Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My 2015 CRV has over 40,000 miles. It never did this until a few months ago, after battery was replaced. Can someone please this?
I had mine a long time before I noticed it the first time. Now, I notice it all the time (it is a 16). I also have an automatic Miata that does the same thing except it is much more noticeable since it changes gears. Many late model cars do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts