Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2015 CR-V EX with about 15,000 miles. Bought new almost a year ago. Yes, I'm facing the mode 1 vibration issue... - But here's my real problem:

I was just away a month due to my father's death in Texas. My wife and I just got back to NY today. I started my CR-V, let it warm up a bit, and shifted into Drive. The car didn't try to move forward. I gave the gas pedal a GENTLE nudge and there was a large BAM like something stuck breaking loose. I was then able to drive the car forward but it makes a scraping sound like something grinding in the transmission. I've only backed it back into the parking space - didn't want to drive it anymore. I plan to call the dealer ASAP but the Christmas Holiday may delay that. The car is still under warranty of course. At no time was the parking brake applied.
Any input or help?

Much Thanks,
czaharop

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
It might be a defective transmission. Bring it to the dealer as soon as you can. Have you tried to check the fluid condition? Sorry to hear about your father's death. Even if the parking brake is applied the tranny should not slam into gear. Let me know.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Take a look at your brake rotors. Are they rusty? If it rains overnight or much warmer and more humid air replaces cold or the car is out in the rain, rotors can rust. As your car sat for an extended period, this sure could be he case. When driven for the first time, the pads break free of the rust with a bang. Pads rubbing on a rusty surface will produce the scraping sound you're hearing. This will almost always clear up with a bit of driving, allowing the pads to remove the rust from the rotor surface.

Of course it could be something else, but check this before you assume the worst.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Sorry about your loss. You definitely need to check the fluid level because it sounds like there isn't any in there. Also, get the dealer to look at it ASAP. Luckily they will tow it for free since it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Take a look at your brake rotors. Are they rusty? If it rains overnight or much warmer and more humid air replaces cold or the car is out in the rain, rotors can rust. As your car sat for an extended period, this sure could be he case. When driven for the first time, the pads break free of the rust with a bang. Pads rubbing on a rusty surface will produce the scraping sound you're hearing. This will almost always clear up with a bit of driving, allowing the pads to remove the rust from the rotor surface.

Of course it could be something else, but check this before you assume the worst.
I agree with Dan !! I let my car sit for several days and the rotors "air-rust" every time !! The breaking loose you experienced is what I feel every time !! I'd get the dealer involved just to be sure !! Sorry for your loss. Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for the replies. You were right - it was the brake rotors. Sorry for the over-reaction - it just came as such a surprise. Thanks for the feedback and advice. Whew!

czaharop

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Glad for the good outcome!

Hey fellas! You do know that the CVT fluid check means getting under the vehicle and removing the 'sight' plug bolt to find out what's there. It is not checked from topside. That is NOT a dipstick that you're seeing in there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts