Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 CR-V HVAC Tune Up. Is this worth it??

My service center/Honda dealer in Bossier City recommended an HVAC Tune Up.
It doesn't have any descriptions for it and I didn't ask what this was all about.
I looked through the manual and found only about changing the engine air filter, cabin air filter and recharging the AC refrigerant. They're asking for $185 for this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Is your A/C cooling less than normal? I see a center vent temp of 38F-40F, on recirculate, fan on medium. If you are close to those temp numbers, then your dealership is trying to transfer money from your pocket to their pocket by charging you for an unnecessary service. Engine air filter and cabin air filter are easy DIY items to check/change.(y)

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
They are just trying to make a buck off of you. There is no need to do anything more than changing the cabin air filter for "A/C" maintenance. If your vehicle is still cooling just fine then just make sure to keep up with changing you cabin air filter which takes less than 5 minutes in your garage or driveway.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
541 Posts
Our dealer here charges $60 for labour and $30 for cabin filter. I can get a nice cabin filter for $15 from amazon. Sad thing is a lot of non-car people will just say yes change it while they are getting other work done.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
The thing to know about the CR-V's A/C system is that it only holds a total of just over one pound of refrigerant. This is a relatively very small amount, so the slightest, slowest leak will cause the system to lose efficiency over time, eventually getting low enough to affect performance and possibly cause damage. I learned this last year when I bought my V (I'm the second owner), when the A/C was not cooling well once it got hot out. Turned out it was a half pound low, which means it only had half the amount of gas needed for optimum operation. A half pound is not a significant amount for an eleven year old car, but it is on a CR-V. My mechanic evacuated it, ran a leak-down test (no leak found) and installed a fresh charge. It has worked flawlessly since. I recommend you get the pressure checked once a year, when it warms up, and have them add if even just a little low. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg as long as there is not a leak or other issue. CR-V's are notorious for A/C problems, but I think they are mostly caused by a failure over time to maintain the system at the correct load of gas. Very important where I live, which is nearer to the Sun than the rest of Earth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I'm the only owner for this vehicle. it's a 2015, but I bought it in 2016.
It is at 43k miles, which I think isn't bad for a 5 year old vehicle.
The AC still works fine. I understand recharging the refrigerant, but this charge really bothered me. I went through my records from 2018 and they didn't even have it on their check off sheet.
And yes, I am aware of the engine and cabin filter changes and how easy they are to change. I am thinking of getting K&N filters on my next change.

What is the recommendation to recharge the refrigerant? or when?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If the “a/c still works fine” there’s no reason to “recharge the refrigerant”. The a/c will not work fine if the refrigerant is low........that’s when you need to find the leak, repair the leak, then have a vacuum pulled and the system recharged.

If you buy a oiled gauze engine air filter, be sure the hold onto your old paper filter so you can install it while the oiled gauze air dries for 24 hours after being washed. Also, hold the new oiled gauze filter up to the light and notice all of the pin holes. Those tiny intake valves and the throttle butterfly are the air restriction, not the OE Type paper air filter.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I am thinking of getting K&N filters on my next change.
There are several threads about K&N filters on this site.

One of things K&N claims is better air flow. To increase the airflow the filter is less restrictive so more air can get through. But "less restrictive" also means it lets in more particulate matter (aka dirt, dust, etc).

Honda makes very efficient engines, and if a less restrictive filter would increase performance or fuel mileage, don't you think Honda would already being using it for their engines?

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
so the slightest, slowest leak will cause the system to lose efficiency over time, eventually getting low enough to affect performance and possibly cause damage
Don't all modern systems have low refrigerant cutoff switches to prevent that from happening?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Don't all modern systems have low refrigerant cutoff switches to prevent that from happening?
Yes, but in a system this small, they are not sensitive enough to provide adequate protection in small enough increments to be much help. My system was half empty, and it did not trip, because that was less than half a pound of gas. Not enough to measure that much on the gauges, but enough to be a serious issue in a system of this size.

·
Registered
222 Posts
but that's how the guys at like Valvoline and Jiffy lube make money by selling the extras. I just had that conversation with a customer who came in with a inspection and recommended service list from a Tires Plus that said to replace all the pads, rotors, a turn signal and some other light bulb where i didn't recognize the bulb number; their bill was 756 dollars for an Elantra. After looking up everything and giving him middle of the road pads and rotors, with everything but the one bulb i didn't recognize, his bill came out to be like 122 dollars.

·
Registered
38 Posts

It doesn't have any descriptions for it and I didn't ask what this was all about.
I looked through the manual and found only about changing the engine air filter, cabin air filter and recharging the AC refrigerant. They're asking for $185 for this.

Any thoughts?

Five or six years ago, my service manager had the nerve to tell me my 2004 CR-V A/C was working perfectly and all the pressures were in spec, but he wanted to "top off the refrigerant" for $100. I declined the ripoff "service" and the A/C is still working perfectly. I sold the car last year and bought a 2019 CR-V. I purposely did NOT buy the new CR-V from that dealership and have never gone back for parts or service there either. Also, the engine air filter should not be part of an "HVAC tuneup". As someone said, cabin filters are easy to replace. And they are not very expensive if you get an aftermarket brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any thoughts?

I would ask what service that is and to show you if it is a required item by Honda. If it is a cabin air filter then by all means yes, but that should show up on your service minder in the vehicle when it is due. IMHO, if what is suggested does not show up on the service monitor (give or take a bit if you drive under extreme conditions, Honda does not think it is needed nor is it.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
173 Posts
NO is the simple answer. A/C units DO NOT need recharging unless they have a leak. If you have a leak your A/C performance will go down (not cool like it should) & you will have to have the leak repaired before you recharge the system. They are trying to rip you off. Cabin air filters are not expensive, and they are not hard to replace. Find another dealership for your service!!! I have a 2011 Honda CRV and never had the A/C system recharged. Note: You should never overcharge an A/C system.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
185 Posts
2018 EX-L here. The two connections to my condenser both started leaking after 1 1/2 years. Both were replaced under warranty. I have never heard of an HVAC tune up, and my dealer is notorious for offering unneeded work at high prices. They charge $54 plus parts to change each filter, air and cabin. Wiper replacements are even more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts