Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I just purchased a 2015 CR-V LX and am wanting to change out my OEM factory speakers while keeping the factory head unit in place (at least for now). I’ve looked at a ton of speakers online and the top two I’ve come across are the:

• Kicker 43DSC6504
  • JL Audio C1-650x
The factory stereo is rated at 160 watts. I’m new to CR-V’s and aftermarket stereo equipment. Can anyone tell me which of the two is better, or recommend another brand? I may look at adding an amp and sub down the road, but for now I am looking for the best 6.5 speakers to replace the ones currently in my CR-V. I mainly listen to rock, old school rap and house music, so I would like them have decent bass.

Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Everything in Moderation
8,077 Posts
You might ask your question to the folks at Crutchfield, or at a local car audio store. (The local guys will probably suggest the brands that they carry..)

Consider installing a subwoofer for the base. Some Vs fitted them under the drivers seat, or in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would go with the JL Audio as they would probably sound better in the long run when you change the rest of your equipment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the responses! I ended up going with (4) Kicker 43DSC6504 speakers, a 10 inch Zstat sub in a custom ported box, and 2 Zstat amps mounted under the passenger seat to power the sub and door speakers. It sounds great, however I am sacrificing cargo space with the sub. I most likely will be upgrading to the custom JL side panel subs once my wife and I have kids so I can get that cargo space back. Loving my new CR-V!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great to hear, enjoy your music man! I need to get an amp for my car soon. I got a portable JL Audio powered sub that I can remove easily when I need the extra space.

·
1,978 Posts
I appreciate the responses! I ended up going with (4) Kicker 43DSC6504 speakers, a 10 inch Zstat sub in a custom ported box, and 2 Zstat amps mounted under the passenger seat to power the sub and door speakers. It sounds great, however I am sacrificing cargo space with the sub. I most likely will be upgrading to the custom JL side panel subs once my wife and I have kids so I can get that cargo space back. Loving my new CR-V!!!
Unfortunately, IIRC JL stopped making those custom-fit side panel mount sub enclosures some years ago. You might check on that and let us know what you find out. I plan to put my sub under the passenger seat, and my amps in the dash behind and inside the front center dash console.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I doubt you can fit a 10" sub with a proper sized box under the seat. When i had my 10" JL Audio 10w1 in a sealed box back in the days, the box was almost the height of the seat. Unless you get it custom fab box to fit.
Just my 2 cents, the biggest impact to my sound system in my previous car was after i change out the factory head unit. I did all the speakers first which made minimal impact due to limit of the stock unit. After adding a nice Pioneer head unit, it was night and day. Then the sub came after.

This is not mine, but the box i had looks very similar to this.

Oh just realized the op already got it installed in the trunk.

·
1,978 Posts
True, but I don't need ear-splitting volume or earth-shaking bass, just better SQ and sensitivity with a little more volume. An 8" under-seat sub will work for me. I had a friend who used 4" subs and mids in a pickup and the sound was phenomenal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you planning to use OEM wires? Cos if you install RMS 50+ watt speakers, you'll have to change wires, right? Are there any pre-made solutions, like door wire harnesses with smaller gauge for speaker wires? If not, what's the process of pulling new wires through doors? Looks like it's not that easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts