Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove our new CR-V (leased) off the lot this past Saturday night. Sunday afternoon my wife drove to the store (surface streets, not more than five miles from the house). On the return trip, the car started violently shaking at 30mph and was unsafe to drive above 40mph. She cut through a few neighborhoods at slow speed to get it back home. When I went out to look at the vehicle, there was an intense burning smell... a combination of plastic, rubber, fluids, and hot engine. I looked under the car and noticed long, stringy strands of melted plastic coming out of the holes in the protective plate underneath the car cabin.

As a new CR-V owner with only 79 total miles on the odometer, I am aware of the vibration issues people experience at idle; this is on a whole other level. The car was towed back to the dealership this morning and the service department is looking at it. When informed, my salesman acted as though this was the first he had heard of CR-Vs vibrating.

Needless to say, I have zero confidence in this car. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? What in the world is the melted plastic hanging off the bottom? How much leeway do I have in Texas with not having to get stuck with that car for the next 36 months?

Thanks.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
billsuspect..... welcome to the forum. We're hard to find, but there are satisfied CRV owners here. I sympathize with your disappointment... surely something is wrong under there, and it should be covered by warranty. But I suspect it is not serious. My guess is something plastic came loose, melted via the exhaust, or by rubbing on the driveshaft. Plastic melts rather easily, and if it sticks to the driveshaft it will cause unbalance & vibration. If it is just a piece of plastic, and they clean everything up while replacing it, you're probably good to go. The dealer may swap out the car just on good will, but will likely hold you to the lease with a reminder that the warranty will keep you protected.
As to the 'reported' vibrations, I knew about it before I bought my CRV. I test drove several CRV's, including the one i eventually bought. In my 2015 CRV, I found the vibration to be detectable, but trivial (under the specific conditions where the computer slows the idle to 550 rpm). The car has many fine features and I'm still happy at 4000 miles. Yes, a few mornings were in the 40 degree range & I'm still happy. Google a few alternative brands... they all have complaints from "...never brand X again" types of unhappy owners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts