Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up a Touring model CRV this past weekend but can't stand the halogen bulbs in the LED headlights. So I picked up an H11 HID from Amazon for like $50 (I know it's cheap but hey, I'll buy another one if these give me any troubles... haha) and installed them last night.

*Disclaimer*
I have 6k bulbs in there now since the seller set me the wrong temperature. I will update this when the 4300k bulbs I ordered arrive.

Before:

After:

UPDATE: (4300k Bulb, after warm up)

HID Vs Halogen:

HID:

Halogen:

LH side ballast placement: There was an empty bolt hole on a bracket that was perfect for mounting a slim ballast.

RH side ballast placement: I removed the ABS pump bolt and used that to hold the bracket in place.

Install:
Easiest thing possible. Took all of about 20 mins since most of the time was spent removing the damn HID from the package and searching through my toolbox for some zipties. This kit had the H11 connector on it so it was literally plug and play. You can install them without having to remove anything (except for the ABS 10mm bolt.)

Impressions:
Even with the 6k bulbs installed there is wayyy more light output. Driving through my neighborhood you can certainly see the difference and the cutoff is good with a fair amount of crisp. I will say that (and it is probably due to the quality of the projector lense) but there are two hotspots. These were present with the halogen bulbs so I wouldn't call it out of the ordinary.

In any case, if you have OE projectors and are thinking about going with HIDs it is worth it. You can't beat the result for $50. If anyone has any questions or needs more images, just ask.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks better with 6K with blueish light. But I'm still trying to figure out how to turn on the LED lights with the full head lights on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks better with 6K with blueish light. But I'm still trying to figure out how to turn on the LED lights with the full head lights on.
I'm not sure if you can turn them on or off? Mine stay on all of the time... with or without the headlights on. The downside is that int he daylight, you can't really see the surrounding LEDs... only the small strip at the bottom of the headlight.

The bulbs should be in soon so I'll post another update.

I also changed my plate bulbs to LED units.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not sure if you can turn them on or off? Mine stay on all of the time... with or without the headlights on. The downside is that int he daylight, you can't really see the surrounding LEDs... only the small strip at the bottom of the headlight.
That's exactly my beef with the LED front lights. The top is not fully lit. Only the bottom is fully lit. It waits until it's dark then the LED is bright but still the top half is not fully lit.

I want to hear from other 2015 owners if they have the same issue with LED front lights. Does the top half of your LED lights are fully lit? Please share.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's exactly my beef with the LED front lights. The top is not fully lit. Only the bottom is fully lit. It waits until it's dark then the LED is bright but still the top half is not fully lit.

I want to hear from other 2015 owners if they have the same issue with LED front lights. Does the top half of your LED lights are fully lit? Please share.
I have the same issue. But I am sure it is not an issue, rather that's the way Honda designed it. I looked last night and it seems there is a higher density of LEDs at the bottom compared to the top surround. I am not sure why they would make it like that, as most LED daytime running lights that I have seen are consistent in brightness all the way around.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same issue. But I am sure it is not an issue, rather that's the way Honda designed it. I looked last night and it seems there is a higher density of LEDs at the bottom compared to the top surround. I am not sure why they would make it like that, as most LED daytime running lights that I have seen are consistent in brightness all the way around.
Oh man. If it's by designed - does this mean we can not improve it? I was hoping I can get the dealership to increase the brightness of the top half of the LED front lights. I had already emailed my salesman to complain about it. He asked me to send him pictures.

Can I point the projector beam higher? So it would brighten up the top half more than current?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh man. If it's by designed - does this mean we can not improve it? I was hoping I can get the dealership to increase the brightness of the top half of the LED front lights. I had already emailed my salesman to complain about it. He asked me to send him pictures.

Can I point the projector beam higher? So it would brighten up the top half more than current?
I don't think there is anything that can be done. I sure wouldn't point your headlights higher as you will just blind oncoming traffic. My advice would just to enjoy your car and not worry about it too much. ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I don't think there is anything you can do about the top sections being dim... other than taking drastic measures and have LEDs installed inside of them.

Or you could just drive at night? ^_^

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow the HID Looks awesome .. I so want to do it but I am too scared of loosing warranty :( ! Also I am not sure whether I can do a DIY installation as I never really have done any DIY on the car.

Can you share the Amazon links for both the Back(Plate Bulbs) and Front Led Kits please ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd love HID lights but wouldn't even know where to begin to try to install them myself. If I wanted to take my CR-V somewhere to have this professionally done, what kind of shop would I take it to? Is this something I could have done at the dealership?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd love HID lights but wouldn't even know where to begin to try to install them myself. If I wanted to take my CR-V somewhere to have this professionally done, what kind of shop would I take it to? Is this something I could have done at the dealership?
Hi Julia, I am not an expert but I just saw your garage and it seems you have a LX model. Only touring models come with OE projectors. You need to start by getting projectors for your headlights. Then you need to go for HID retrofits. Hope this helped :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can you share the Amazon link for the HID's? Does the factory wiring plug into the ballast then the wire from the ballast to the bulb plugs into the headlight housing? Are wire modification? Any new pictures with the other color bulbs?

Yep, I don't think there is anything you can do about the top sections being dim... other than taking drastic measures and have LEDs installed inside of them.

Or you could just drive at night? ^_^

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I have been sleeping on this! My wife took the car out of town for work for the last two months so I didn't have it at home. I did change the bulbs and will snap some images of it tonight when I get home. They are certainly much better and the output is stellar compared to the 6ks!

To answer the other questions, yes, these were completely plug and play. The kit I bought came with an H11 connector that went directly into the OE plug. I have about 5200 miles on the car as of right now and haven't had a single issue with them. No error lights or anything and since my car has the LED running lights!

Link to the kit I bought: $40 PRIME, you can't beat it!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FC22PVS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you share the Amazon link for the HID's? Does the factory wiring plug into the ballast then the wire from the ballast to the bulb plugs into the headlight housing? Are wire modification? Any new pictures with the other color bulbs?
The HID bulb connects to the HID ballast that is supplied with the kit. These have male and female connectors on them so you can't plug them in wrong. Once you have that connected, the ballast plugs into the OEM headlight connector. The kit that I got was made for the H11 so it had the correct plug on it. Plug it all in, secure the ballast using some bolt holes already in the engine bay and zip tie the lines out of the way.

This is certainly a simple install.. took me all of about 15 minutes and the results are SO much better than the stock bulbs. Best mod I have done so far.

Someone asked about where to have this done? I say any sort of audio install shop should be able to handle this as it's extremely simple.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry I have been sleeping on this! My wife took the car out of town for work for the last two months so I didn't have it at home. I did change the bulbs and will snap some images of it tonight when I get home. They are certainly much better and the output is stellar compared to the 6ks!

To answer the other questions, yes, these were completely plug and play. The kit I bought came with an H11 connector that went directly into the OE plug. I have about 5200 miles on the car as of right now and haven't had a single issue with them. No error lights or anything and since my car has the LED running lights!

Link to the kit I bought: $40 PRIME, you can't beat it!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FC22PVS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
Thanks for your response , quick question ... i see you have to secure the ballast using a nut/bolt . Does this come with this kit ?

Also I had heard that HID generates a lot of heat , what has been your experience ? Do you thing this will melt the projectors ?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts