Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I know this question has been asked before in a number of variations, but I have a unique question. Two years ago our passenger side mirror got damaged. The mirror is cracked, and the top part of the housing broke off, but the bottom remains and the camera still works. It still worked fine for the last two years, but now that we live in a state with inspections (and a notoriously nitpicky state at that), there's no chance our mirror will pass.

I'm wondering if there's any way to maintain the current camera, and just replace the cracked glass and housing? Would this task be too difficult for someone with minimal car repair knowledge? The alternative seems to be $700+ at the dealer, or just installing a "dumb mirror" and giving up on the camera. I hear that installing an aftermarket mirror usually won't actually sync with the car and not work.

So is there any way for us to keep our old camera and repair the mirror to the satisfaction of the state inspectors?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,759 Posts
See if an auto glass shop can replace the mirror.

Another thought: buy another mirror ASSEMBLY from a junkyard.
Car-part.com

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,040 Posts
You can buy replacement mirror glass at the dealer. The top part of the mirror itself is a plastic shell. Has any other part of the mirror been damaged? likely tough to find used ones with the camera housing. I'm afraid to look at dealer pricing....

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,759 Posts
I'd still need a Honda dealer to reprogram the camera though, right?
IIRC there IS a 'calibration' procedure to assure that it is aimed correctly.

that is why replacing the mirror alone is a good move.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can buy replacement mirror glass at the dealer. The top part of the mirror itself is a plastic shell. Has any other part of the mirror been damaged? likely tough to find used ones with the camera housing. I'm afraid to look at dealer pricing....
The turn light and camera still work. The bottom of the housing is cracked too, I'm now realizing. So if they won't pass with a cracked housing, that limits our options....

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,759 Posts
Do you think this would work?
Not seeing a camera on that RH mirror, but the price is reasonable. (It is aftermarket)

I can't imagine that they would fail you for a lack of a camera. The listing says for the LX, which is the basic trim.

What state are you dealing with that is so picky, BTW? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not seeing a camera on that RH mirror, but the price is reasonable. (It is aftermarket)

I can't imagine that they would fail you for a lack of a camera. The listing says for the LX, which is the basic trim.

What state are you dealing with that is so picky, BTW? :rolleyes:
Maryland. I haven't actually done the inspection, but I hear they are worse than New York, so I am preparing for worst case scenario. I don't think they'll fail me for lack of camera (also the camera still works), but I'm concerned they might fail me for an insecure mirror, or cracked glass or something. At this point, I just decided to buy This aftermarket glass and install it myself. It lists the correct oem part number. Then I'll just try and tidy up the remaining part of the shell with some epoxy, making sure it feels completely secure, and hope that it's good enough for the inspector.

Any tips on ways to recover the top of the mirror without buying a new shell? It doesn't need to look good.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,759 Posts
I have painted scratched/damaged rearview mirrors if you cannot remove the old shell.

Paintscratch.com or automotivetouchup.com both guarantee the match of their paint.

Or, you could paint both drivers and passengers' mirror shells with a satin black so that they match for a LOT less than a bespoke color.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have painted scratched/damaged rearview mirrors if you cannot remove the old shell.

Paintscratch.com or automotivetouchup.com both guarantee the match of their paint.

Or, you could paint both drivers and passengers' mirror shells with a satin black so that they match for a LOT less than a bespoke color.
I just want to cover up the exposed wires and metal, I don't care about the aesthetics. We've been driving it around looking like it just got smashed for 2 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts