Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had purchased our Honda CR-V 2WD E-XL on 5/2/2015. When we hit around 500 miles the vehicle started a jerking or shuttering from a complete stop when hot. This condition continued from week 2 to 3 of ownership and decided to schedule a service appointment. The car sat for a couple of days and the problem disappeared so I canceled the appointment. On 5/27 my wife and I decided to go into town to run some errands and the shuttering problem started all over again except this time I was lucky enough to be near our Honda dealer. I pulled into service and the problem was witnessed by a couple of service people and thought that a computer update would fix the problem. After 45 minutes we were told Honda is aware of the problems and was given a copy of a Honda Tech Line Summary Article dated April 7, 2015. The article number is ATS 150401 Version 1. Below is the Document Text.

HONDA.. Tech Line Summary Article
April 7, 2015
ATS 150401 Version 1

Customer Reports a Vibration or Shudder
AFFECTED VEHICLES 2015 CR-V

Do you have a vehicle that, according to your customer, vibrates or shudders under any of these conditions?
• At idle
• Under light acceleration
• At low speeds
• Between 1,100 and 1,500 rpm
• Between 1,600 and 2,200 rpm

We're aware of customer reports of this concern and we're actively reviewing it by analyzing available data and customer comments and doing actual vehicle testing. Our review is still in progress, so there's no product improvement available at this time.

Keep in mind that some vibration is normal and just a result of the engine and transmission technology. It presents no operational or safety concern.
To save you time, there's no need to call Tech Line about this concern; they don't have any more information than what's included in this article. Just so you know, we've created a video that we encourage you to watch and have the service advisor share with your customer. Click (I believe the Bogus YouTube Video is here to watch.

Once we finalize our review, we'll update this communication and share information about any planned product improvements and their availability.

Tech Line information is updated as needed and may be revised as new or improved information is issued. When an article becomes outdated, or is replaced by an official AHM publication (Service News or Service Bulletin), it will be deleted.
© 2015 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. All Rights Reserved Page 1 of 1

How can a dealer or Honda Motors deliberately sell these vehicles to unknowing customers? Shame on them!

All I can say to any future CR-V customer do your research online before you buy. Our CR-V drove wonderfully until it hit 500 miles. Ask yourself can you live with these kind of problems for as long as you own your CR-V? I can not and do expect I will have to Lemon Law the vehicle.

I hope this info helps some of you who can not get straight answers from your dealer.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
How can a dealer or Honda Motors deliberately sell these vehicles to unknowing customers? Shame on them!
It's called greed. I'm sure the salesman failed to mentioned these issues. Must have slipped their mind ;)

I hope it does get straightened out soon for all you '15 owners. Honda has had a great reputation in years past but lately has been taking some hits.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Corporate greed is the reason I will Lemon Law the vehicle and not trust Honda for a repair. This has been going on since December and I kick myself in the ass for not researching this better. I just want to get this bulletin spread out over the inter web because it proves Honda knows there is an issue and not being truthful with its customers that bought the CR-V.

·
Registered
229 Posts
What do you want Honda to do, tell everyone of potential issues and scare away sales?
Every new revamped car has issues that pop up when introduced.
From what I've seen it's being blown out of proportion bye people who expect to much.
This is a Honda, not a Benz,Lexus etc.
Yes I feel vibration as stated bye others but I really don't think it's much worse that any other large 4 cyl I've had, '11 Sonata, '14 Crv.
I think it's just boiling down to peoples personal preferences and being to picky.
It's not a safety issue so good luck .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Corporate greed is the reason I will Lemon Law the vehicle and not trust Honda for a repair. This has been going on since December and I kick myself in the ass for not researching this better. I just want to get this bulletin spread out over the inter web because it proves Honda knows there is an issue and not being truthful with its customers that bought the CR-V.
Mine also drove fine until about 600 miles. Then the vibrations started and have gotten worse over time to now not just the passenger seat shakes, the entire car shakes. Sucks

·
Registered
63 Posts
What do you want Honda to do, tell everyone of potential issues and scare away sales?
From what I've seen it's being blown out of proportion bye people who expect to much.
Yes I feel vibration as stated bye others but I really don't think it's much worse that any other large 4 cyl I've had, '11 Sonata, '14 Crv.
I think it's just boiling down to peoples personal preferences and being to picky.
In my State it doesn't have to be just a safety issue. Problems that impact the value also apply.

·
Registered
868 Posts
What are you talking about? Not worse than any other 'large' 4 cyl? Get real. I have a 2011 CRV. Test drove two 2015's. One was brand new. The other had 6K km's on it. The latter was much worse, but even the brand new one sucked. Compared to mine, the difference was huge. HUGE. I would not buy one for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Let me understand this. Honda out right admits there is an issue. They say they need a bit more time to get it right. You want thousands of people in Ohio, Ontario and Mexico and anyone else connected to the assembly plants to lose months of pay and/or their job. Most companies would not even say a word until forced.

Do we really need 20 threads on this issue? Breathe it's not the end of the world. Plant a tree, save a life, donate blood.

·
Registered
868 Posts
^^ Nobody wants anybody to lose their job. We just want a billion dollar corporation to get off their ass and fix what they have created.

Don't like to waste time reading and replying to threads? Then take your own advise. Plant a tree, save a life, donate blood.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Already done.

Seriously though after a supposed fix is implemented and it's not satisfactory I would be all over this as well. I'm just saying be patient and allow them to right a wrong. There is a 190 page thread on the issue, log your complaints to the appropriate parties, the rest should follow.

·
Registered
644 Posts
In my opinion, these threads are necessary to bring awareness and build support. Honda owners like me typically go by what they have been hearing from others/family members about the past glory, read glossy reviews in making their purchase decisions. I have a 2014 CR-V. The choice was between CR-V or RAV-4 based on "expert" reviews and my experience in the 90's.

Had I seen the numerous threads about the 2012-2014 CR-V rattle prior to purchase, I would not have purchased the CR-V. So, the more threads the better, the more they got "in the face" the better for consumers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I completely agree. This is a first world problem. Honda has said that it was done to increase fuel efficiency. Take one or the other. You cant have it all. The vibration isn't even noticeable unless you are trying to find it. Look around for other vehicles. They all have something that someone decided to blow out of proportion.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What do you want Honda to do, .
I want Honda to be the the real innovator they once were. Other manufacturers have already put CVT and Direct Injection in their crossovers years ago. My other brand crossover even has a VTC on both intake and exhaust cams. Reducing idle RPMs to gain marginal improvement in fuel economy is a no-brainer. This is not innovation or an excuse. Honda seems to be in a haste to catch up.

Many vehicles have vibration issues - e.g tractors. I don't think it's ok to say it's not as bad a tractor. I want Honda to stop this nip and tuck approach and rethink automobile efficiency from the ground up.

They really need to find their next Soichiro Honda, fast...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I completely agree. This is a first world problem. Honda has said that it was done to increase fuel efficiency. Take one or the other. You cant have it all. The vibration isn't even noticeable unless you are trying to find it. Look around for other vehicles. They all have something that someone decided to blow out of proportion.
If you don't know what you're talking about, DON'T.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For full disclosure I have a 2015 Touring and I do not have the vibration issue (>3000 miles so far).

I’ve driven a lot of vehicles. Everything from a ’63 Wagoneer to a M48A5 tank and from what I’ve seen these vibrations are not ordinary and beyond what’s usual. If my $35k Touring CR-V vibrated like that I’d be furious. When you can see a headrest vibrating like a palm sander...well that’s excessive.

IMHO, it's unfair to say these owners are being too picky and blowing things out of proportion and logic would seem dictate that there are way too many reports for it to anything other than a real and out of the ordinary issue.

To be fair to Honda, since there are many that don’t have this issue it likely wasn’t on engineering’s radar. I’m and engineer and I've seen this kind of thing happen. It’s usually some part, mount, fastening system, etc. that connects the component (in our case the engine/tranny) to the rest of the system that cause’s the problem.

Parts from different sources may have slightly different tolerances and material properties, and are still within the allowed tolerances for the individual part. Visually the parts are identical but once assembled the final result is a system which reacts/operates differently than the tested combination of parts. Each part meets all the specifications and tolerances but the assembled system doesn't work properly. We call this tolerance stacking and it can sometimes have unexpected results.

I suspect this has a lot to do with why some have the problem and some don't. Of course it’s impossible to test parts from different sources in all the possible combinations so if there's going to be a problem it may be long after production starts before the issues are seen. Then it's a time consuming, iterative puzzle to find the root cause and a fix.

As for the Honda videos and releases, it's all marketing and legalese. In my experience engineers don't like the marketing and legal departments much...just sayin’ :D

My 3.4¢ FWIW.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, two and a half years since the last post on this... Has anyone found a fix that they are good with. I understand the nature of the CVT and noticed a difference on the way home from the dealer. More like a light rumble in the drive train only at light acceleration, more pronounced at an uphill grade. But at 23Kmi I'm ok with it. It's not violent. What is violent is when the car is up to speed the transmission engages and disengages as if it does not know what to do. Trans works best accelerating. The coasting even at 25-40mph has become annoying as the trans is hunting for a position or maybe torque converter in limbo. My Dealer has claimed there is no TSB on this issue with my model and year. (2015 CRV EX AWD). I have an appt for tomorrow regarding this. I'm 2 months out of warranty with 23K so it will be interesting. They said $140 to inspect it. This is my 10th new Honda car since 1983. It is also the first one to go to the dealer for something that was not obvious and repaired by me. I don't like others under the hood of my vehicles. Hopefully somebody has something new to say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts