Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently replace my battery with a 35 series higher capacity (51R original) after the car wouldn't star multply times. Afterward i toke it to auto store to have the alternator checked, headlights and blower were turned on but the voltage read 12.4- 12.6 during the test indicating alternator not charging. I bought and installed a rebuilt one. Still showed 12.4v, didn't know at the time the voltage needed to be below 12.3v to start charge. Called the 800 number they said take it to an alternator shop. They saw it not charge on the car but on the bench it was fine. The original alternator was also the same. Had the orginal alternator rebuilt and installed It didn't charge on the car, we removed the alternators sense wire that goes to PCM and the alternator charged at 14.2 to 14..5v left it that way for a couple of days but again the battery died and the alternator showed not charging. Currently the shop is putting a different mfr voltage regulator in. While testing We've parallel the wire from battery to alt. And battery gnd to alternator gnd, this didn't help. Thank you any answer you have.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
You need to learn how the Honda charging systems work.

As a gas-saving measure, Honda incorporated an ELD (electric load detector) that allows the car to 'run off the battery' during times of low demand. Therefore, you should always turn on headlights when measuring charging system voltage. (It will usually be around 14.3 - 14.6 VDC)

Anyway you could have a bad ELD. On our Generation, its up in the engine bay fuse box, I'm sure someone will respond with the exact location on your 2015.

meanwhile, Google ELD Honda CR-V...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I read up on the ELD and saw a video on how to change it. My alternator shop ran new wires from the Battery + to Alternator Out and from battery neg. to Alt.bracket. In addition to changing the voltage regulator in the alternator. It's charging a steady 4.1v. When I told him of the ELD he said well run it over the weekend. And how it does .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.