Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 X with 53K.
Wake Up and 2 yr old Interstate battery dead.
I buy a new 8 amp charger and have battery tested (Oreilieys).
They say its on way out and its receiving charge from alternator/
Costco gives me a new Interstate battery and all is GOOD, RIGHT?
6 days later dead again. I start reading here in the forums.
I am driving with the lights on as I make my short trips to try and find a fix for this.
Battery tests 12.62 last night and 11.69 this morning.
I remove AC relay and visit Honda Dealer in Springfield Mo.
They dont seem interested at all.
My plan is to charge full today and let it sit again for 12 hours.
Question is what is allowable volt drop from full charge to just sitting(ready and able to start) mode.
What should I do next if new relay is no help?

GRANDMA SORRY WE CANT MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,208 Posts
Do a search for "Parasitic Draw" or "Parasitic Drain" on the forum.
LOTs of discussion of this.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,498 Posts
2015 X with 53K.
Wake Up and 2 yr old Interstate battery dead.
I buy a new 8 amp charger and have battery tested (Oreilieys).
They say its on way out and its receiving charge from alternator/
Costco gives me a new Interstate battery and all is GOOD, RIGHT?
6 days later dead again. I start reading here in the forums.
I am driving with the lights on as I make my short trips to try and find a fix for this.
Battery tests 12.62 last night and 11.69 this morning.
I remove AC relay and visit Honda Dealer in Springfield Mo.
They dont seem interested at all.
My plan is to charge full today and let it sit again for 12 hours.
Question is what is allowable volt drop from full charge to just sitting(ready and able to start) mode.
What should I do next if new relay is no help?

GRANDMA SORRY WE CANT MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Classic abnormal parasitic, OR essentially dead battery. Until you load test the battery after it is fully charged, you don't really know... though you can go hunting for bad parasitics (see video below) regardless of battery status.

Setting aside the normal float charge on a freshly driven battery, which will bleed off after several hours parked......

Normal voltage drop on a gen4 over night should be negligible, as in less than 0.05 vdc (50 millivolts). I suggest checking the voltage on your battery after the vehicle has sat for 4 hours, as that should reflect rested voltage on the battery with no lingering float charge.

You clearly have something in your vehicles systems that is not powering down properly when you park and shut off your vehicle to be killing off 0.8vdc over night. Best way to localize it is as follows:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,133 Posts
I would still check voltage in the AM for a few days, just for peace of mind. The chart below shows what a battery should read after 'resting' overnight.

Font Parallel Number Circle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the fuse block, I checked out all of the mini's, all of them zero'd out. What is the row above the rows of mini fuses? Is there anything else to check here?
Netbook Computer hardware Electronic instrument Gadget Electronic component

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,133 Posts
The Car Wizard has a good tool for measuring parasitic drain across fused circuits. Look at ~6:20 in this video (purchasing info for the 'AMP-Hound" in the description of the vid)

EDIT: As he points out, there is more than one fuse panel in most modern cars.,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH, I forgot to look under driver side dash, though its listed as passenger side fuse panel on fuse-box.info. I will see what I find. Overnight will determine if the AC relay is the cause, thank you

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX 2.4 L Gasoline
303 Posts
Decades ago, it use to be that if you jump started a vehicle with a bad battery and ran the engine of the good vehicle while the starter of the bad vehicle cranked, it would draw such a large amount of current from the alternator of the good vehicle that there was a small chance of damaging the output diodes of the alternator of the good vehicle. Usually, one of those diodes would fail as being electrically leaky. That is, it would allow a small amount of current to flow in the wrong direction. That would allow the positive output wire of the alternator that connects to the battery to supply that leaky draw with current that would discharge the battery if the car sat for a couple of days without being used.

Today with the improved alternators this is an even rarer occurrence. But it is still possible.

So, one question is: has the vehicle been used to jump start another vehicle with while its engine was running? If so, then have the alternator output diodes checked for reverse leakage draw that is enough to drain a battery.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX 2.4 L Gasoline
303 Posts
BTW, I like the Car Wizard video and the Amp Hound.

If that does not solve the puzzle, another much slower approach that usually does provide an answer is divide and conquer. You remove 1/2 of the car's electrical circuits from being connected to the battery ( remove 1/2 of the vehicles fuses ) , and see if the battery goes dead in a few days.

(If it does, you divide the remaining that was connected. If it does not, you connect 1/2 of the stuff that was not connected.) Then you wait another couple of days and keep dividing with respect to the results until you get it down it one circuit.

It is a slow method, but it does yield results.

Remember sometimes the hidden drain can also be intermittent. Meaning it may not draw current constantly. Intermittent problems are much tougher to find. Not impossible to find, but very hard to find. Divide and conquer will still find a problem even if it is intermittent.

How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time. ( In otherworld's, it might be a slow process, but you are actually making slow and steady progress towards the desired ending. )

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,208 Posts
Remember sometimes the hidden drain can also be intermittent. Meaning it may not draw current consensually [sic]. Intermittent problems are much tougher to find. Not impossible to find, but very hard to find. Divide and conquer will still find a problem even if it is intermittent.
There was a well-known case somewhere on YT where a Toyota's rear wiper kept trying to home itself every few minutes. Unless you measured while it was trying you'd never find the draw.
Of course some intermittent draws are normal, like the evap cycle.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Super Moderator
7,498 Posts
Here is the fuse block, I checked out all of the mini's, all of them zero'd out. What is the row above the rows of mini fuses? Is there anything else to check here? View attachment 151776
As noted already, there is a second fuse box inside the cabin, so you need to check those as well.

And yeah, there have been reported issues with relays in the fuse box sticking which can cause the issues as well. The very large fuse blocks in the fuse box I believe are protected farther down the line by the smaller fuses which you can voltage check for parasitic drain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GOT UNDER THE DASH AND FOUND #31 10 amp fuse did not ZERO OUT and gave a reading of .4 using humblemechanic parasitic drain of battery. I removed the fuse and checked battery drain/draw at negative side and all looks good (.00) OK WHAT IS #31 10AMP : SMART??? One diagrams lists as option? Whats not going to work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found this circuit is draining my battery (see my recent battery drain post).
I removed it and I detect no other drains. Located #31 under driver dash.
What have I done and any thoughts on a fix. Diagrams say its a SMART circuit.

We had a recent break in and they stole the credit cards, I just noticed our driver door lock is now at the ? position, and looks bent. Did this cause drain in battery, I just noticed key fob acting different since I removed the fuse like all doors unlock when you approach the car.

·
Super Moderator
7,498 Posts

We had a recent break in and they stole the credit cards, I just noticed our driver door lock is now at the ? position, and looks bent. Did this cause drain in battery, I just noticed key fob acting different since I removed the fuse like all doors unlock when you approach the car.
Not an expert on fuse 31, but SMART as the term used for that fuse location would indicate to me that your parasitic drain is somehow related to the Smart Entry Features of the vehicle. But with the fob acting wierd with fuse 31 pulled, it could be syptomatic, but not precise as to what is actually broken. There may be multiple circuit interactions at play here.

The fact that you had a recent break in on the vehicle and the drivers door lock looks mangled tells me whoever did that broke something on your vehicle, causing it to not fully power down correctly.

With what looks like a ~1 amp parasitic currently, it is no wonder your battery crashes overnight. Glad to see you are getting the cause localized. But it may require help from a dealer if there are damaged components, so I would check about having this repair covered by your vehicle insurance.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,566 Posts

The "smart" fuse #31 is a 10 amp fuse. It feeds the smart entry controller which communications with your FOB for gaining access to your car. It should be drawing a small current all the time. The question is how much current is it actually drawing. Luckily you can determine this by the voltage you read across the fuse. A 10 amp mini fuse has a resistance of .00742 ohms. So volts ÷ ohms = amps.
There is a convenient chart you can download that gives you the amperage thru an automotive fuse given the voltage across the fuse. Note that the chart gives you the current in milliamps so a current value on the chart of 654 is 0.654 amps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI
I tried to start with #31 SMART yanked out but that you cant do.
I removed left driver interior door panel with great YT videos.
I pulled off manual door lock wire harness, replaced # 31 fuse, drove, tested and drain is gone. How ever vehicle sets off alarm under certain conditions but fob can stop that. Now looking for new lock to install and that should be that. THANKS ALL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts