Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 CRV has approx. 38,000 miles on it. I just took it in for an oil change and tire rotation, and the service tech advised that the rear brake pads needed to be replaced. Both my brother and my neighbor said that they did not think that the rear brake pads should need to be replaced before the front ones. Any thoughts???????? Did I get ripped off?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,069 Posts
If the slider pins in the rear calipers get sticky, the rear pads COULD wear prematurely.

Many dealers in Northern climes recommend 'Brake Service' every fall, which entails removing the sliders, cleaning and lubricating them with hi temp brake grease, and reinstalling. At this time, it should be verified that the pads are 'falling out loose' in their holders (the calipers can rust under the stainless top & bottom guides which binds them).

It takes me maybe 60 minutes each year to jack up the car, remove the wheels, and perform this service. One year I got lazy :Darn:and my rear brakes started squealing, so I did the procedure in the bitter cold. :Surrender:

So, did you allow the shop to replace the rear pads? If so, did they show you the old parts? There is a wear indicator that will cause a shrill squeal when the pads get down to ~1mm thick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 CRV has approx. 38,000 miles on it. I just took it in for an oil change and tire rotation, and the service tech advised that the rear brake pads needed to be replaced. Both my brother and my neighbor said that they did not think that the rear brake pads should need to be replaced before the front ones. Any thoughts???????? Did I get ripped off?
Replaced my rear brakes and rotors at 32K because they were gone. Then the calipers went at 39K and took my new brake pads with them. Didn't have this kind of issue with my 2000 CR-V
Tires and battery went earlier than expected as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If your brother or neighbor didn’t inspect them then their “opinion” is irrelevant.

The rear brakes can stick if they get rusty, which can easily wear them out. I changed the rear brakes on my 15 very early due to this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honda brake pads 'screech' when they get near replacement.

If they are not screeching (it's not too annoying, not too loud) your pads are fine.
Mine made no noise, it depends on which pad wears out on the wheel.

Only the outside pad on the passenger side was worn, the inside pad was perfect, so were the driver side pads.

Front pads were in great condition too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts